There are 235 users in the forums

Brandon Aiyuk is a 49er! Pick #25, 2020 NFL Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by eman:
I'll quit being 49er fan if they trade Aiyuk and keep Deebo

deebo is fun to watch , but look at what he does in Super Bowl or big games… he can't even catch cold

aiyuk is dominant and his separation is insane

trade Deebo and keep Aiyuk !

Can you point to a playoff game in which Aiyuk 'dominated'?

I understand his production is not solely the result of his ability, but there isn't one as far as I remember.

We don't have to make this a Deebo vs Aiyuk conversation, but let's at least keep their actual production in big games in sight if we're going to reference it.

Good points

Maybe the Cowboys playoff game a couple years ago with Jimmy G.

He burned Diggs over and over and should of had a much bigger day.
  • q0c0p
  • Veteran
Amon ra's contract has no effect on BA's. This "setting the market" every new contract needs to stop. You get paid what you deserve. BA in no way in hell is getting that much. That's just the way it is. He isnt good enough. Teams need to stop giving horrible contracts
Originally posted by ltrain:
Ben Allbright mocked us trading Aiyuk and 31 to JAX for 17 and 116 with 49ers selecting Brian Thomas. If that happened I'd be furious.

That'd be just about the dumbest move possible.
Originally posted by Waterbear:

That could be true, but in that same game Deebo produced over 100 yards including a big TD run while dealing with the same limited passing offense and QB.

Deebo is versatile enough to make an impact in a variety of ways. One of the most explosive playmakers in the league. He's not dependent on making plays downfield (his biggest weakness), nor does he need a high quality QB to make an impact.

Aiyuk is a very good traditional wide receiver who would excel in a pass heavy offense with a great QB. We might have the QB part of this equation, (though so far he routinely turns down some of Aiyuks deeper routes) but we are likely to never be a pass heavy offense under Kyle. Do we want to pay a massive contract to a player that we don't maximize based on theoretical production? I'm not sure we do, especially given he has real trade value.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
More contract escalation. How can you be paying your WRs $20 to $30 mil, your tackle $26 mil, your edge rusher $34 mil and soon your QB $40 mil or more. That's $110 mil committed to 5 players. Over 40%. Guess what happens next. The LBs and all the other players like CMC start wanting more. This game of always getting more than the other guy isn't sustainable long term. Teams will start losing good players or depth players.

Because most of these dudes aren't getting that every single year…we gotta stop with the APY s**t. That's not how it works.

It differs every year but if one goes down another goes up. There was a time when I felt football players were under paid. I don't feel that way anymore. Guys have one big year and they think they need to get paid what the top guy in the league gets. To be fair it's probably the agents as much or more than the players.
Originally posted by q0c0p:
Amon ra's contract has no effect on BA's. This "setting the market" every new contract needs to stop. You get paid what you deserve. BA in no way in hell is getting that much. That's just the way it is. He isnt good enough. Teams need to stop giving horrible contracts

Aiyuk is better than him tho.... How is he not going to get that much?
That could be true, but in that same game Deebo produced over 100 yards including a big TD run while dealing with the same limited passing offense and QB.

Deebo is versatile enough to make an impact in a variety of ways. One of the most explosive playmakers in the league. He's not dependent on making plays downfield (his biggest weakness), nor does he need a high quality QB to make an impact.

Aiyuk is a very good traditional wide receiver who would excel in a pass heavy offense with a great QB. We might have the QB part of this equation, (though so far he routinely turns down some of Aiyuks deeper routes) but we are likely to never be a pass heavy offense under Kyle. Do we want to pay a massive contract to a player that we don't maximize based on theoretical production? I'm not sure we do, especially given he has real trade value.

What I saw is one WR who consistently won on routes for a SB team, and if we trade it's for a draft pick. You take the top pass target away from Brock and the guy who was the key to our drop back game off the team, when we are win now mode. I think Shanny would throw a fit, then you have JL who did this same rodeo with DeFo and got burnt. I would assign 0% odds to a trade.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
What I saw is one WR who consistently won on routes for a SB team, and if we trade it's for a draft pick. You take the top pass target away from Brock and the guy who was the key to our drop back game off the team, when we are win now mode. I think Shanny would throw a fit, then you have JL who did this same rodeo with DeFo and got burnt. I would assign 0% odds to a trade.

A trade isn't happening without Kyle's approval. What team do you follow?

A trade may or may not happen. I'm sure the 49ers would love to sign him longterm to as favorable a deal as possible.

To your point about him winning on routes in the SB… he had 3 catches for 50 ish yards. Is that his fault? Not necessarily. Does who's fault it is really matter in the context of his worth to us? I'd say no, given we are running it back with effectively the same team, QB, and offensive system. Again… theoretical production.

A trade isn't happening without Kyle's approval. What team do you follow?

A trade may or may not happen. I'm sure the 49ers would love to sign him longterm to as favorable a deal as possible.

To your point about him winning on routes in the SB… he had 3 catches for 50 ish yards. Is that his fault? Not necessarily. Does who's fault it is really matter in the context of his worth to us? I'd say no, given we are running it back with effectively the same team, QB, and offensive system. Again… theoretical production.

That's what I am saying, he wouldn't approve, so no deal is coming. Watching last season, he was the pass O. He's the primary over and over. What would be the motivation for Shanny to trade that out? I don't see it.

Theoretical production, I don't concern myself with. And this is SF, when CMC is house calling, you see BA in the frame blocking his tail off. That probably endears him to Shanny as much as anything. It took years to build up that run block ability, that I believe is why he was doghoused, back in the day..
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Originally posted by ltrain:
Ben Allbright mocked us trading Aiyuk and 31 to JAX for 17 and 116 with 49ers selecting Brian Thomas. If that happened I'd be furious.

That'd be just about the dumbest move possible.

The better play would be getting Fautanu or Quiyon Mitchell. I'd be less furious with that but still furious about losing Aiyuk

Lions probally did this to try and screw us over. They are like "You want to force us to pay Brock Wright more than we wanted to, we will do the same for Aiyuk"
That's what I am saying, he wouldn't approve, so no deal is coming. Watching last season, he was the pass O. He's the primary over and over. What would be the motivation for Shanny to trade that out? I don't see it.

Theoretical production, I don't concern myself with. And this is SF, when CMC is house calling, you see BA in the frame blocking his tail off. That probably endears him to Shanny as much as anything. It took years to build up that run block ability, that I believe is why he was doghoused, back in the day..

The motivation would be to use the money we'd be paying for Aiyuk elsewhere in addition to whatever draft assets we acquire in a trade. It's possible we could better spend that money and adequately replace him at the same time. It's at least worth considering depending on his cost and trade value.

I'm fine with trading Aiyuk and I'm also happy to pay him. His value is high with being an All pro last year, and he'd be a great player to have long term.

The catch is I'm only fine trading him if we get a mid first rounder, around picks 15-28.

Not having Aiyuk would make our passing game less dynamic, but it could make the team much better overall since we've underutilized Kittle, Deebo, Juscyck, Jennings in the passing game and that pick could be used on a really good player…. resetting our "window".

I came late to the conversation but I'm fine either way.
I'm fine with trading Aiyuk and I'm also happy to pay him. His value is high with being an All pro last year, and he'd be a great player to have long term.

The catch is I'm only fine trading him if we get a mid first rounder, around picks 15-28.

Not having Aiyuk would make our passing game less dynamic, but it could make the team much better overall since we've underutilized Kittle, Deebo, Juscyck, Jennings in the passing game and that pick could be used on a really good player…. resetting our "window".

I came late to the conversation but I'm fine either way.

I'm with you and your bottom line point. Happy to have him back but also would be fine with trading him given his price.

Obviously would want to wait to see what return we would get in a trade. Seems unlikely we're just going to pick up a mid first rounder without a pick swap, but who knows.
The 49ers FO are waiting on their beloved friend trent baalke to inflate the WR market again. Let's do it.
Share 49ersWebzone