There are 252 users in the forums

Brandon Aiyuk is a 49er! Pick #25, 2020 NFL Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DaleGribble:
You're preaching to the choir I agree wholeheartedly.

That's why I'm not even looking a little bit forward to something I used to be completely obsessed with.

I still love it more than anything else sports wise lol. The letdown is just a given.
Originally posted by Brucey72:
The 49ers last 4 drafts have netted them Purdy, Banks, Lenoir, Hufanga, Brown, Jennings and Aiyuk.... with 31 picks.... 7 hits (10 if you want to count Mckivitz. 1 season of Mitchell and a 3rd round kicker) out of 31.

that's why the idea of trading a stud for any picks doesn't excite me.

I think the biggest problem we made was trying to replace Buckner with Kinlaw at the same position. I'm hopeful we learned something from that draft. Always draft BPA… there was no replacing Buckner.
The 49ers last 4 drafts have netted them Purdy, Banks, Lenoir, Hufanga, Brown, Jennings and Aiyuk.... with 31 picks.... 7 hits (10 if you want to count Mckivitz. 1 season of Mitchell and a 3rd round kicker) out of 31.

On the other side of the coin, when you are heavily invested in the top players on your roster and are cap strapped in terms of flexibility, you are more reliant on filling out your roster with successful draft picks.

That works out to a 25-30% hir rte depending on if you include the kicker and Mckivitz. If you looked at every team I'm guessing their hit rate is similar. I did some checking and only about 8% end up being difference makers. 20-30% make meaningful contributions. The rest are backups or don't even make the team.

Looking at that data and considering where the Niners are drafting in most years it looks like they are about average. Maybe slightly above. You also have to consider free agent signings. They are probably better than most at that. Whatever they're doing the team has been good the last 5 years. Certainly better than any other except KC.
Originally posted by Waterbear:

I think the biggest problem we made was trying to replace Buckner with Kinlaw at the same position. I'm hopeful we learned something from that draft. Always draft BPA… there was no replacing Buckner.

Turned out to be a mistake, but Buckner never really became transcendent. There's a point in your team's development, where it makes sense to turn your prime players into picks if the value is there. We got pretty decent value for Buckner, just missed the pick. WRT Aiyuk, I think all-pro WRs of his caliber are worth more than mid-late first-round compensation, especially if his skillset is not redundant on your roster. To some degree, Buckner and Armstead were redundant in their roles.
Originally posted by Chance:
Originally posted by Waterbear:

Turned out to be a mistake, but Buckner never really became transcendent. There's a point in your team's development, where it makes sense to turn your prime players into picks if the value is there. We got pretty decent value for Buckner, just missed the pick. WRT Aiyuk, I think all-pro WRs of his caliber are worth more than mid-late first-round compensation, especially if his skillset is not redundant on your roster. To some degree, Buckner and Armstead were redundant in their roles.

WRs also don't last long in being elite players as compared to DTs.

I think the mid to late first rounder is the starting point.

Id also be open to a 1st round pick swap and a second rounder.
the ol KNBR is talking about trade Deebo, keep BA
also Papa named dropped McConkey like 15 times I think that's his draft crush

1. It's too early to say if players picked the last couple drafts are hits or not.
2. There's a huge difference between 1st/2nd round picks and late round picks. After the top 100, it's a crapshoot. We've had very few first round picks and relatively few top 100 picks over the past few drafts.

We're above average at drafting. When we pick near the end of each round and give up 3 first round picks for a QB, and have a championship-level roster, we're not going to come away with many impact players regardless of how many late round picks we have.

I'd hold out for a late first round pick (or swap to mid-1st + another pick if there's a player we really like) or try to resign him as long as the AV is reasonable (<$30M/year).
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Apr 25, 2024 at 1:51 PM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:

Trade Deebo. Get a starting RT/ LT and a WR in the first.
[ Edited by TD49ers on Apr 25, 2024 at 2:08 PM ]

it's going to be a wild night
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
the ol KNBR is talking about trade Deebo, keep BA
also Papa named dropped McConkey like 15 times I think that's his draft crush

Please let us draft Ladd McConkey.
Originally posted by TD49ers:

Trade Deebo.

I don't buy this, the report from yesterday or the day before was that Deebo was assured he's not being traded during or after the draft. I doubt we can get a top 10 pick for Aiyuk though.
Originally posted by Heroism:

it's going to be a wild night

Rome Odunze you are a 49er
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by TD49ers:

Trade Deebo.

I don't buy this, the report from yesterday or the day before was that Deebo was assured he's not being traded during or after the draft. I doubt we can get a top 10 pick for Aiyuk though.

Isnt it mathematically impossible to trade Deebo during the draft without nuking our cap due to his dead cap bit?
Share 49ersWebzone