LISTEN: Rookie 49ers Shine Against The Seahawks →

There are 184 users in the forums

Brandon Aiyuk is a 49er! Pick #25, 2020 NFL Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
pay the man
Originally posted by lamontb:
pay the man

They will if he accepts that reasonable offer.
What do you guys think? Will he take the offer?
Originally posted by bigpete50:
What do you guys think? Will he take the offer?

He will sign
Fingers crossed, we need him.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
whatever this former agent Joel Corry basically said he thinks Aiyuk merits something comparable to what Jalen waddle just signed. About 28M apy w/ 77 or 78 million guaranteed. Niners probably only wanna give him about 2 million less than that. But if their offer is something close to that waddle deal and I was BA I would sign that MFer in a heartbeat.

Yeah, the market really spiked with some of these new deals. I think we wanted to pay more of $22-$24M a year and now it's gotta be near waddle (I could see him asking for more since Aiyuk has led the team in receptions etc the last two years and waddle is a #2).

I always feel like what holds up the deal is structure. The 49ers always want, and usually get, a very team friendly structure. Aiyuk might want something that offers him more protection, which is understandable. Thats just what I feel like usually holds up deals.

I read that they offered him 26 somewhere. Looks like he's pushing for 30+ which isn't reasonable imo.

On a side note, I read some Charger post about how they had a chance at grabbing Aiyuk since they could afford him with the 26m in cap space they have, lol.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
whatever this former agent Joel Corry basically said he thinks Aiyuk merits something comparable to what Jalen waddle just signed. About 28M apy w/ 77 or 78 million guaranteed. Niners probably only wanna give him about 2 million less than that. But if their offer is something close to that waddle deal and I was BA I would sign that MFer in a heartbeat.

Yeah, the market really spiked with some of these new deals. I think we wanted to pay more of $22-$24M a year and now it's gotta be near waddle (I could see him asking for more since Aiyuk has led the team in receptions etc the last two years and waddle is a #2).

I always feel like what holds up the deal is structure. The 49ers always want, and usually get, a very team friendly structure. Aiyuk might want something that offers him more protection, which is understandable. Thats just what I feel like usually holds up deals.

I read that they offered him 26 somewhere. Looks like he's pushing for 30+ which isn't reasonable imo.

On a side note, I read some Charger post about how they had a chance at grabbing Aiyuk since they could afford him with the 26m in cap space they have, lol.

They can't "grab" him, because he's not a free agent.
Originally posted by BOI49er:
Originally posted by Jakemall:

They can't "grab" him, because he's not a free agent.

I love these fans who think just cause they have x amount of money they can just get him, like you said he's not a FA, and I just don't see the 49ers dealing him, makes zero sense, plus Steelers fans on X saying we can't afford him is laughable since we have over $30m in space, plus we'd save rough.y $8m with a BA extension & a BA extension would be similar structure wise to CMC with low 2024 & 2025 cap #'s, maybe even 2026 depending on how long the deal is. Basically fans don't do any research, I mean we're all guilty of it, but when fans online like in X say stupid s**t it's just laughable.
Aiyuk for Fautanu straight up. That's the only way id trade him.
I don't understand these players that think $26 mil isn't enough. They want $30 mil. Why? Half of that goes to taxes so they end up with an extra $2 million per year. Is that going to make a difference in their life? What are they going to do with that extra money that they can't already do?

On the other hand if they take the lesser amount that may help the team from having to force another player to take less or maybe get cut eventually. These salary issues have become a way of measuring how good the player is instead of what his actual value is to the team. In Aiyuk's case he's a good player but with all the weapons the 49ers have his value is less than it would be to some teams that don't have those weapons. Look at the number of times he's targeted. Not near as many as some of the top receivers. There were 35 players that were targeted more and 30 that had more receptions. That doesn't mean Aiyuk isn't a top end receiver but it shows that his value isn't as high as it would be with some teams. If they didn't have Deebo or Kittle he would probably be getting near 100 receptions per year. That might be what his agent is arguing but the Niners can afford to not budge on this issue. They hold the cards.

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I don't understand these players that think $26 mil isn't enough. They want $30 mil. Why? Half of that goes to taxes so they end up with an extra $2 million per year. Is that going to make a difference in their life? What are they going to do with that extra money that they can't already do?

On the other hand if they take the lesser amount that may help the team from having to force another player to take less or maybe get cut eventually. These salary issues have become a way of measuring how good the player is instead of what his actual value is to the team. In Aiyuk's case he's a good player but with all the weapons the 49ers have his value is less than it would be to some teams that don't have those weapons. Look at the number of times he's targeted. Not near as many as some of the top receivers. There were 35 players that were targeted more and 30 that had more receptions. That doesn't mean Aiyuk isn't a top end receiver but it shows that his value isn't as high as it would be with some teams. If they didn't have Deebo or Kittle he would probably be getting near 100 receptions per year. That might be what his agent is arguing but the Niners can afford to not budge on this issue. They hold the cards.

Yea that extra $2mil will make a difference. Boy I need that 2 mil right now
[ Edited by Silky on Jun 11, 2024 at 11:50 AM ]

FWIW, Bill Walsh said that you don't invest highly for a wide receiver until you build the entire rest of the team first. True to his word, he didn't draft Jerry Rice until his seventh year with the team and when he had already won two Super Bowls. Now with the salary cap and wide recievers naturally trending toward being divas, one might make the case that some teams have driven up their salaries to the point of hurting themselves. Maybe some teams should back out of playing that game. If your FO and HC are smart, there is certainly more than one way to skin this cat. I love Aiyuk and think he clearly helps the team, but it is not a slam dunk it's a net benefit if contracts of $100m+ can't make him happy.

Hang tough on the $26m, give it time, and see where it goes. If that doesn't get it done, I won't cry.
You don't understand it because you're viewing it via prism of a fan, not an employee.

I recall Aiyuk saying something along that same line last year when asked about his stats. He remarked that he would get more targets and receptions if he were not playing on a run-first team. A couple of days after the Super Bowl this season, when asked if he would be signing an extension, he threw out a rather off-handed remark about "if that is the best place to be." His tone made me think he was not as committed to returning as fans would hope.

It sounds like most fans are blaming the FO for not offering BA more than $26M - he should get closer to $30M. My personal belief is that he is pushing to break over $30M. In exchange for playing on a run-first team that necessarily limits his stats, he wants the kind of money he would get if he played on a more pass-oriented team. I see some logic in that position and will not be surprised if he holds out until the very deadline to sign.
if matt maiocco isn't confident then im not confident
Share 49ersWebzone