if matt maiocco isn't confident then im not confident

I get the feeling that the front office may be speaking though Maiocco

Thanks for the help, Matt.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
I can't imagine a worse team to be playing hardball with. Not the star of the offense and the team already has your replacement on the roster.

and the T.Hill trade is proof of concept… don't have to overpay a star receiver to win a Super Bowl.

BA isn't going to get what he thinks he is worth.

He will get what he thinks he's worth, and even more with the right buyer. There's always a desperate team willing to overpay.

With no guarantee and released 2 years later we see it happen all the time.

?

When do we see this lol

Literally every big money deal the Niners do. It's always two years and then a bunch of team options.

Trent Williams was the exception. He was three years and a bunch of team options.

Huh? Every team basically does that. Besides Watson nobody has a fully guaranteed contract.

But that wasn't the point anyways. You don't have players that are entering their prime, who already proved they are at least a pro bowl caliber player, get some 1 year prove it deal. If the 49ers want to trade him there will be plenty of teams that will want him and will give him the money he deserves. That doesn't mean he will reset the market for WR but he will get top 5-10 WR money without a doubt.

But we hold the leverage in this negotiation. BA cannot afford to sit out. If he holds out he doesn't have enough years of eligibility to be a free agent afterwards. Niners are still going to own his 5th year option. So no matter what he still has to play this year if we are adamant that we don't want to trade him. And he will have to have another good year if he's going to go into free agency and ask for a big contract.
I love Aiyuk but I agree with the 49ers' stance here.

If he doesn't take a 26 mil deal then let him sit out or force him to play on the fifth year and show the 49ers or another team why he's deserving of more.

A healthy audition competition between him and Deebo this year for their next contract could bring out the very best in those two.

If he wants to sit out, it's really unfortunate, but the 49ers drafted Pearsall to account for that scenario. Granted, Pearsall doesn't remotely fill the void of an all pro receiver, but he--along with Jennings and Kittle taking on more work--helps offset a bit.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

If he doesn't take a 26 mil deal then let him sit out or force him to play on the fifth year and show the 49ers or another team why he's deserving of more.

A healthy audition competition between him and Deebo this year for their next contract could bring out the very best in those two.

If he wants to sit out, it's really unfortunate, but the 49ers drafted Pearsall to account for that scenario. Granted, Pearsall doesn't remotely fill the void of an all pro receiver, but he--along with Jennings and Kittle taking on more work--helps offset a bit.

He can't sit out. He hasn't accrued the years necessary to be a FA. If he sits out this year, he will still be under 49er contract next year then. He would have to sit out 2 straight years which I highly doubt he will do

Sweet baby Jesus let's stop with the APY talk. SF could have given him a $26 "per" contract with s**t for guarantees

APY means absolutely nothing. It's fake
I could offer you 3 yrs $100M BUT only FGTD $20M of it….cool you could run around saying you're making $33.3M per year…as soon as that FGTD cash is gone, I can cut you owing you nothing after that. So it's not even remotely close to that APY you've been running around flaunting.

APY is a pretty hollow metric for contracts. I get it, it's easy to use it for discussions sake…Means nothing in reality though. Just toss on some ridiculous cap hit at the end of the contract that will be voided because he's owed nothing at that point (ex Hill/Adams contract) boosts his ego and they still get him for what they want.

That JJ contract was such an outlier for WRs because of all the FGTD cash.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I could offer you 3 yrs $100M BUT only FGTD $20M of it….cool you could run around saying you're making $33.3M per year…as soon as that FGTD cash is gone, I can cut you owing you nothing after that. So it's not even remotely close to that APY you've been running around flaunting.

APY is a pretty hollow metric for contracts. I get it, it's easy to use it for discussions sake…Means nothing in reality though. Just toss on some ridiculous cap hit at the end of the contract that will be voided because he's owed nothing at that point (ex Hill/Adams contract) boosts his ego and they still get him for what they want.

I think we all understand what guaranteed means. For conversations sake it's easier to say "$26mill per year" than "$26mill per year with half rolled into a signing bonus due on signing day with $57mill guaranteed and $12mill in performance bonuses"

Let's unsaddle ourselves from the high horse we've been on the last few weeks. FFS 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
[ Edited by 5thSFG on Jun 12, 2024 at 1:22 PM ]

It's all about the structure. I imagine the deal is going to have a large signing bonus, which is paid upfront, if it gets done. Assuming it gets done.

Sweet baby Jesus let's stop with the APY talk. SF could have given him a $26 "per" contract with s**t for guarantees

APY means absolutely nothing. It's fake

Exactly. I'm sure they put it out there to look like the good guys. But come on we got paraag, that s**t is loaded with incentives and twists.

He can't sit out. He hasn't accrued the years necessary to be a FA. If he sits out this year, he will still be under 49er contract next year then. He would have to sit out 2 straight years which I highly doubt he will do

Sorry I meant, hold out. He could hold out because you only need a certain amount of games for it to qualify as a season played.

Originally posted by BOI49er:
Originally posted by joeknows:
Originally posted by Since07:
We traded Buckner... in hindsight should have traded Armstead instead. Think we trade Deebo after this season if not during if we want to keep Ayuik which we should he's developing into a #1 opposed to Deebo being a gadget

Different money for Buckner over Armstead. Buckner out-earned Armstead by 14M during the period 2020 - 2024. Might not seem much, but as an example that pays for CMC's contribution thus far (and change).

We did not get value with Armstead given injuries and performance, and the Colts did get appropriate value.

I think Armstead did fine and lived up to his contract. He did miss some games but it wasn't like Dee Ford. We should look at that decision and make sure we value availability and consistency which Buckner was in spades. So far Ayuik has displayed the same we need to try and keep him even if it means letting Deebo or Kittle go
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
I think we all understand what guaranteed means. For conversations sake it's easier to say "$26mill per year" than "$26mill per year with half rolled into a signing bonus due on signing day with $57mill guaranteed and $12mill in performance bonuses"

Let's unsaddle ourselves from the high horse we've been on the last few weeks. FFS 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Do we understand? Because we got folks complaining about paying him $26M+ a yr and that isn't the reality of contracts.

no high horse, just use common sense instead of complain about fake money.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 12, 2024 at 4:02 PM ]
Originally posted by tankle104:
It's all about the structure. I imagine the deal is going to have a large signing bonus, which is paid upfront, if it gets done. Assuming it gets done.

The large signing bonus comes down to ownership. They're the one's forking over the real money at the signing. No contract fluff there.

like I said if it really comes down to APY (which is stupid if you're a player) then just inflate the last yr of his deal with some stupid high cap hit that he will never see. Problem solved.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Exactly. I'm sure they put it out there to look like the good guys. But come on we got paraag, that s**t is loaded with incentives and twists.

Deebo got $41M at the signing. I'm guessing he wants more than that
Originally posted by Since07:
I think Armstead did fine and lived up to his contract. He did miss some games but it wasn't like Dee Ford. We should look at that decision and make sure we value availability and consistency which Buckner was in spades. So far Ayuik has displayed the same we need to try and keep him even if it means letting Deebo or Kittle go

Extend Kittle and trade/cut Deebo next year.
Share 49ersWebzone