Brandon Aiyuk is a 49er! Pick #25, 2020 NFL Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Hangman_52:
trade his ass for offensive linemen

Lol
Originally posted by Montana:

I wouldn't be too upset about that. Love BA's skills but there are always other WRs

It took us over a decade to find legit WR's after T.O left, so you can't just let them walk out the door.
This 'resetting the market' principle that seems to occur when someone gets a big contract seems a bit flawed. Contracts are usually very dependant on specific circumstances, such as team-need, player-fit, what else needs to be covered by a particular team's cap situation, etc.
In other words - just because Team A paid Player B, X amount of millions, that doesn't automatically equate to the overall 'market value' of that kind of player. The deal may well (and likely will have been) slanted one way or the other based on the unique circumstances of both team and player.

It seems like this doesn't really get taken into account in (at least the publicly available) negotiation language. We are stuck in an agent-driven upward spiral based on 'we demand what he got'. True value is a bit more nuanced than that.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

Lol

Folks act like a "legit" OL isn't gonna cost the same amount. Go look at what McG got paid and folks hated him here.
Aiyuk 20-23 3921 Yards 25 TD 4 Years
Samuel 19-23 4122 Yards 19 TD 5 Years (Plus 1000 rushing yards and 19 Rush TD)

VS

Arnaz Battle 03-09 2150 Yards 11 TD 7 Years
Michael Crabtree 09-14 4300 Yards 26 TD 6 years
Brandon Lloyd 03-05, 14 1804 Yards 14 TD 4 Years
Kendrick Bourne 17-20 1769 Yards 11 TD 4 Years
Josh Morgan 08-11, 1764 Yards 9 TD 4 Years
Quinton Patton 13-16 880 Yards 1 TD 4 Years
Trent Taylor 17-20 731 Yards 3 TD 4 Years
Kyle Williams 10-13 574 Yards 4 TD 4 Years
Jason Hill 07-10 413 Yards 4 TD 4 Years
Marquise Goodwin 17-19 1543 Yards 7 TD 3 Years
Richie James 18-20 689 Yards 3 TD 3 Years
Dante Pettis 18-20 576 Yards 3 TD 3 Years
Ted Ginn 10-12 384 Yards 1 TD 3 Years
Isaac Bruce 08-09 1099 Yards 7 TD 2 Years
Torrey Smith 15-16 930 Yards 7 TD 2 Years
Pierre Garcon 17-18 786 Yards 1 TD 2 Years
Mario Manningham 12-13 534 Yards 1 2 Years
Mohamed Sanu 20-21 186 Yards 0 TD 2 Years
Antonio Bryant 06 733 Yards 3 TD 1 Year
Jeremy Kerley 16 667 Yards 3 TD 1 Year
Emmanuel Sanders 19 502 Yards 3 TD 1 Year
Darrel Jackson 07 497 Yards 3 TD 1 Year
Stevie Johnson 14 435 Yards 3 TD 1 Year
Randy Moss 12 434 Yards 3 TD 1 Year

OTHER BUSTS, DRAFT PICKS & GUYS BROUGHT IN:
Rashaun Woods 1st, AJ Jenkins 1st, Derrick Hamilton 3rd, Jalen Hurd 3rd, Danny Gray 3rd, Brandon Williams 3rd, Bruce Ellington 4th, Brandon Jones Big FA Deal, Rasheed Marshall, Aaron Burbridge, DeAndre Smelter, Ronald Johnson, Marcus Maxwell, Ashley Lelie, Johnnie Morton, Jonathan Baldwin, Willie Sneed, Brett Swain, Trent Sherfield

QB play is a factor, the type of offense as well and not all guys above were meant to be #1-2 WRs but that's not a lot of production especially long term. A lot of 1st and 3rd round busts, some big name signings and big dollar signings but outside Boldin and Crabtree (who still disappointed) we really havent had steady reliable wrs like Aiyuk (and Samuel) since Rice and Owens left. Aiyuk is our best natural WR (Moss/Bruce end of career not prime) since Rice and Owens. Samuel is up there with Boldin for best wr we've had for more than a year or 2.

Do I think they deserve 23 and 26-28 a year, no. Do I think Aiyuk is being greedy, yes. That's the nfl today. I wouldnt be so quick to get rid of Aiyuk (for a top 15 pick even) and replace him with a draft pick like we did with Buckner. It's not smart to get rid of him unless you can get a few 1sts which wont happen. I think our best offer is probably an early 2nd. No Thanks! Just get a deal done... we had enough with Bosa last year who I think was too greedy and ended up hurting the team. Same with the Samuel b.s. 2 years ago. Just get it done and start working on next year's guys. I think our front office has been waiting too long and made the prices go up. Extend guys like Ward, Lenoir earlier before they go way up. Maybe even see what Hufanga and Greenlaw want now coming off injury and take a risk because if they play like they have pre injury the prices will go way up.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jun 16, 2024 at 5:59 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Aiyuk 20-23 3921 Yards 25 TD 4 Years
Samuel 19-23 4122 Yards 19 TD 5 Years

VS

Arnaz Battle 03-09 2150 Yards 11 TD 7 Years
Michael Crabtree 09-14 4300 Yards 26 TD 6 years
Kendrick Bourne 17-20 1769 Yards 11 TD 4 Years
Brandon Lloyd 03-05, 14 1804 Yards 14 TD 4 Years
Josh Morgan 08-11, 1764 Yards 9 TD 4 Years
Quinton Patton 13-16 880 Yards 1 TD 4 Years
Trent Taylor 17-20 731 Yards 3 TD 4 Years
Kyle Williams 10-13 574 Yards 4 TD 4 Years
Jason Hill 07-10 413 Yards 4 TD 4 Years
Richie James 18-20 689 Yards 3 TD 3 Years
Dante Pettis 18-20 576 Yards 3 TD 3 Years
Marquise Goodwin 17-19 1543 Yards 7 TD 3 Years
Ted Ginn 10-12 384 Yards 1 TD 3 Years
Isaac Bruce 08-09 1099 Yards 7 TD 2 Years
Mario Manningham 12-13 534 Yards 1 2 Years
Mohamed Sanu 20-21 186 Yards 0 TD 2 Years
Antonio Bryant 06 733 Yards 3 TD 1 Year
Emmanuel Sanders 19 502 Yards 3 TD 1 Year
Jeremy Kerley 16 667 Yards 3 TD 1 Year
Darrel Jackson 07 497 Yards 3 TD 1 Year
Stevie Johnson 14 435 Yards 3 TD 1 Year
Randy Moss 12 434 Yards 3 TD 1 Year

OTHER BUSTS, DRAFT PICKS & GUYS BROUGHT IN:
Rashaun Woods 1st, AJ Jenkins 1st, Derrick Hamilton 3rd, Jalen Hurd 3rd, Danny Gray 3rd, Brandon Williams 3rd, Bruce Ellington 4th, Brandon Jones Big FA Deal, Rasheed Marshall, Aaron Burbridge, DeAndre Smelter, Ronald Johnson, Marcus Maxwell, Ashley Lelie, Johnnie Morton, Jonathan Baldwin, Willie Sneed, Brett Swain, Trent Sherfield

QB play has a factor, the type of offense as well and not all guys above were meant to be #1-2 WRs but that's not a lot of production especially long term. A lot of 1st and 3rd round busts, some big name signings and big dollar signings but outside Boldin and Crabtree (who still disappointed) we really havent had steady reliable wrs like Aiyuk (and Samuel) since Rice and Owens left. Aiyuk is our best natural WR (Moss/Bruce end of career not prime) since Rice and Owens. Samuel is up there with Boldin for best wr we've had for more than a year or 2.

Do I think they deserve 23 and 26-28 a year, no. Do I think Aiyuk is being greedy, yes. That's the nfl today. I wouldnt be so sure of just getting rid of Aiyuk (for a top 15 pick even) and just replacing him with a draft pick like we did with Buckner. Not smart to get rid of him unless you can get a few 1sts which wont happen. I think our best offer is probably an early 2nd. No Thanks! Just get a deal done... we had enough with Bosa last year who I think was too greedy and ended up hurting the team. Same with the Samuel b.s. 2 years ago. Just get it done and start working on next year's guys. I think our front office has been waiting too long and made the prices go up. Extend guys like Ward, Lenoir earlier before they go way up. Maybe even see what Hufanga and Greenlaw want now coming off injury and take a risk because if they play like they have pre injury the prices will go way up.
Great post. I agree, just get it done. Brock and Aiyuk will be an important connection going forward. worry about next years guys, next year.
Originally posted by joeknows:
This 'resetting the market' principle that seems to occur when someone gets a big contract seems a bit flawed. Contracts are usually very dependant on specific circumstances, such as team-need, player-fit, what else needs to be covered by a particular team's cap situation, etc.
In other words - just because Team A paid Player B, X amount of millions, that doesn't automatically equate to the overall 'market value' of that kind of player. The deal may well (and likely will have been) slanted one way or the other based on the unique circumstances of both team and player.

It seems like this doesn't really get taken into account in (at least the publicly available) negotiation language. We are stuck in an agent-driven upward spiral based on 'we demand what he got'. True value is a bit more nuanced than that.

Business model.
26 mil not enough?
The narrative (or some narratives) about the impending doom of this situation just get progressively dumber. Would it relieve some anxiety for a lot of people to have a deal done already, of course. But the common media talking point it's nearly a total disaster is idiotic. BA is still under contract for another season and it sounds like the Niners are perfectly willing to use the 5yo to buy more time. Maybe it gets more expensive maybe it doesn't. This could be one of those cases they're simply choosing not to break the bank to extend one of their A-list players, but there's not impending doom.
What I like about BA is the chemistry with Brock but again dude is no Jerry Rice. But not many are lol. I feel like Brock can have chemistry with pretty much any WR. I hope Ricky P comes out balling hard and Lightning in a Bottle Cowing 🌩

Originally posted by glorydayz:

Business model.

Well quite. But I'm surprised there isn't more critique of it. It's a never-ending spiral. A bit like runaway inflation.
Originally posted by Montana:
26 mil not enough?

Hell no. He's got to feed his son. The kid eats a lot.
Will BA be back by game 1?
Originally posted by glorydayz:

Business model.

Well quite. But I'm surprised there isn't more critique of it. It's a never-ending spiral. A bit like runaway inflation.

Agree - every time the cap increases, it doesn't seem to give the team the ability to retain "more" of their key players because the "reset" on individual salaries immediately happens. Frankly, the WR salaries are too much. That said, QB salaries are way out of wack with overall team salaries.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
The worst case is he plays on his option (he has no practical choice). They franchise him next year (plenty of room) and trade him for a late 1st in the 2025 draft.
Share 49ersWebzone