There are 308 users in the forums

Brandon Aiyuk is a 49er! Pick #25, 2020 NFL Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I could be wrong but doesn't John lynch and BA have the same agent? Lynch is like best friends with him as well…Lynch was his best man at his wedding or something.

honestly it's just business and BA like most folks are trying to get as much cash as they can now.

how about Jed gives him a bigger signing bonus out of his own pockets to make it all work? It's not about APY, it's about cash in hand end of the day.

My guess is that he will get a fat signing bonus - Jed has been good about that and it gives the cap guys room to move stuff around and spread out.

i really think a big sticking point is the length. BA won't want his contract to end at 30+. I can see him wanting a 2 year extension and that's tough to make the cap work. This is just speculation but I imagine he wants a short extension with good guarantees or a long one that pays fat. Since getting a third contract at age 30+ isn't a great spot to score big (although it happens).
[ Edited by Jakemall on Jun 19, 2024 at 8:15 AM ]
Originally posted by genus49:
Anyone can be replaced. Question is whether replacing them is a good idea and when it becomes a good idea.

BA is 26 years old. He's in his prime.

He just led the NFL in yards per reception until the last week of the season when George Pickens took over the stat because he didn't get any catches and Aiyuk had his worst YPR game with Darnold as his QB.

He has gotten better every season since buying in and getting his way out of Shanahan's doghouse. He's EXACTLY the type of WR Shanahan wants - great route running, ability to hit big plays whether short or down the field. Clutch. Blocks well. Wants to win.

We saw what happened in the SB. I love Deebo but especially with CMC here and a QB who isn't afraid to throw down the field, Deebo is the replaceable one.

Aiyuk just needs targets. Honestly if he's traded to a team who can feed him his numbers will be huge all the time.

Pay the guy then move Deebo after the season.

We haven't had a true WR1 since TO. Aiyuk is a WR1. Don't let the guy go in his prime.

I agree that Aiyuk is important. More important than Deebo. But to say we haven't had a #1 since TO is patently false.
Originally posted by tankle104:
My guess is that he will get a fat signing bonus - Jed has been good about that and it gives the cap guys room to move stuff around and spread out.

i really think a big sticking point is the length. BA won't want his contract to end at 30+. I can see him wanting a 2 year extension and that's tough to make the cap work. This is just speculation but I imagine he wants a short extension with good guarantees or a long one that pays fat. Since getting a third contract at age 30+ isn't a great spot to score big (although it happens).

No one is giving him a two yr extension with a big fat signing bonus…that's almost a FGTD deal going that route. Especially with the 5th yr option that's fully guaranteed already.

like most players that will be his age coming the end of his first big contract, he will ask for an extension or "hold out" nothing different there.

I won't be shocked if it's similar to Deebo's deal, which was a 3 yr extension that was actually a 4yr deal because they both had a yr remaining on their current deals.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

No one is giving him a two yr extension with a big fat signing bonus…that's almost a FGTD deal going that route. Especially with the 5th yr option that's fully guaranteed already.

like most players that will be his age coming the end of his first big contract, he will ask for an extension or "hold out" nothing different there.

I won't be shocked if it's similar to Deebo's deal, which was a 3 yr extension that was actually a 4yr deal because they both had a yr remaining on their current deals.

Agree 💯%, and the issue is the guaranteed money, it always is.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by boast:
totally replaceable

Sarcasm or Serious?

Pretty obvious.

lol
Originally posted by Kolohe:
totally replaceable

Sarcasm or Serious?

Pretty obvious.

lol

I wouldn't agree that he can't be replaced. But the number of guys who could do it can be counted on one MAYBE two hands. Which salary wise would put him at that 26-28m number. On the other side of that, 30 might be overpaying, but I don't think it's horribly so. Particularly true if a longer extension is worked out. The issue is the bind it puts the niners in after Purdy is paid. Glad it's not my money.
  • thl408
WR is a tough position to measure. A WR can be effective running routes, but depending on the QB/OL, his production numbers will reflect the ability of those two positions. Maybe Aiyuk's camp is saying he's always been this good (1300+ yards), but now that the 49ers have a QB capable of throwing to him, that's why his numbers in 2023 finally reflect his ability. So Aiyuk's camp might be saying "don't pay Aiyuk like a one time 1300 yard WR, he's been that since 2021".

Thats the type of deal im expecting. He would be about 30 at that point and with today's medicine/nutrition - he could still be a top player.

what I think we would miss most if we sent him to another team is his selfless blocking - whether it's run game or someone else caught a pass. That type of effort from him (and Jennings) is what helps create a lot of explosive plays or helps turn small completions into first downs.

that isn't a knock, I think he's an awesome reciever, just that part of his game is what makes him a top all around player in my eyes. Maybe we could get someone else to do that but it would take some time to develop it to aiyuks level of routes/hands/blocking
Originally posted by thl408:
WR is a tough position to measure. A WR can be effective running routes, but depending on the QB/OL, his production numbers will reflect the ability of those two positions. Maybe Aiyuk's camp is saying he's always been this good (1300+ yards), but now that the 49ers have a QB capable of throwing to him, that's why his numbers in 2023 finally reflect his ability. So Aiyuk's camp might be saying "don't pay Aiyuk like a one time 1300 yard WR, he's been that since 2021".

It's a tricky negotiation for sure. I'm sure Aiyuk will sign and he's just holding out hoping for an extra little bit of cash at this point. I think Aiyuk playing a run heavy offense that goes through CMC and Deebo bugs him but looking at it objectively should also be considered when looking at the staggering amount of separation he gains. I'll be glad once this is over and then we get to move onto arguing about if Purdy is worth the contract he will inevitably get.

Originally posted by genus49:
Anyone can be replaced. Question is whether replacing them is a good idea and when it becomes a good idea.

BA is 26 years old. He's in his prime.

He just led the NFL in yards per reception until the last week of the season when George Pickens took over the stat because he didn't get any catches and Aiyuk had his worst YPR game with Darnold as his QB.

He has gotten better every season since buying in and getting his way out of Shanahan's doghouse. He's EXACTLY the type of WR Shanahan wants - great route running, ability to hit big plays whether short or down the field. Clutch. Blocks well. Wants to win.

We saw what happened in the SB. I love Deebo but especially with CMC here and a QB who isn't afraid to throw down the field, Deebo is the replaceable one.

Aiyuk just needs targets. Honestly if he's traded to a team who can feed him his numbers will be huge all the time.

Pay the guy then move Deebo after the season.

We haven't had a true WR1 since TO. Aiyuk is a WR1. Don't let the guy go in his prime.

I agree that Aiyuk is important. More important than Deebo. But to say we haven't had a #1 since TO is patently false.

Who is the WR1 that we've had since then? Anquan Boldin? He was towards the end of his career and spent more time playing in the slot than at X.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:
totally replaceable

Sarcasm or Serious?

Pretty obvious.

lol

I wouldn't agree that he can't be replaced. But the number of guys who could do it can be counted on one MAYBE two hands. Which salary wise would put him at that 26-28m number. On the other side of that, 30 might be overpaying, but I don't think it's horribly so. Particularly true if a longer extension is worked out. The issue is the bind it puts the niners in after Purdy is paid. Glad it's not my money.

There's a lot of band aids out there on the street that could fill in for Aiyuk. But Aiyuk's route running and chemistry with Purdy will be task to replace, maybe Pearsall can do it, but I rather keep Aiyuk and Pearsall together. But I'd say $27-$28 mil range would be fair IMO, which would put him in the $110-$112 mil. Squabbling over $3 to $4 mil more would only be for bragging rights and pride, IMO, it's about how much of that contract I'll see in my bank account.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
totally replaceable

He can be replaced, BA's don't grow on trees, but he is replaceable....he is not some generational lvl talent.

What is really interesting is to look at the Shanny offensive coaching tree's effect on this chart...kinda interesting how those players place.

nobody is saying he's a generational talent. but youre also not just gonna just plug in a random WR and expect to get the same efficient production. it's not all Shanny. the player deserves credit too. this also doesnt even touch on his exceptional blocking.
[ Edited by boast on Jun 19, 2024 at 10:29 AM ]
Originally posted by thl408:

The argument there is that Deebo and Kittle had solid production with the previous QBs...
nobody is saying he's a generational talent. but youre also not just gonna just plug in a random WR and expect to get the same efficient production. it's not all Shanny. the player deserves credit too. this also doesnt even touch on his exceptional blocking.

Good point on the blocking. I was going to bring it up, but honestly, I am not certain how good the blocking is on the other top 10 WRs.
Share 49ersWebzone