LISTEN: 49ers Snatch Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory →

There are 264 users in the forums

Brandon Aiyuk is a 49er! Pick #25, 2020 NFL Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kolohe:
There's a lot of band aids out there on the street that could fill in for Aiyuk. But Aiyuk's route running and chemistry with Purdy will be task to replace, maybe Pearsall can do it, but I rather keep Aiyuk and Pearsall together. But I'd say $27-$28 mil range would be fair IMO, which would put him in the $110-$112 mil. Squabbling over $3 to $4 mil more would only be for bragging rights and pride, IMO, it's about how much of that contract I'll see in my bank account.

No argument here.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by thl408:
WR is a tough position to measure. A WR can be effective running routes, but depending on the QB/OL, his production numbers will reflect the ability of those two positions. Maybe Aiyuk's camp is saying he's always been this good (1300+ yards), but now that the 49ers have a QB capable of throwing to him, that's why his numbers in 2023 finally reflect his ability. So Aiyuk's camp might be saying "don't pay Aiyuk like a one time 1300 yard WR, he's been that since 2021".

The argument there is that Deebo and Kittle had solid production with the previous QBs...

Because the majority of their routes are 8 yards over the middle where the previous QB focused on. Sorry, not sure if your post was sarcastic.
Originally posted by boast:
nobody is saying he's a generational talent. but youre also not just gonna just plug in a random WR and expect to get the same efficient production. it's not all Shanny. the player deserves credit too. this also doesnt even touch on his exceptional blocking.

Good point on the blocking. I was going to bring it up, but honestly, I am not certain how good the blocking is on the other top 10 WRs.

ESPN named him the best blocking WR in the NFL last season

https://archive.ph/RZ3u4
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hopper:
totally replaceable

Sarcasm or Serious?

Pretty obvious.

lol

I wouldn't agree that he can't be replaced. But the number of guys who could do it can be counted on one MAYBE two hands. Which salary wise would put him at that 26-28m number. On the other side of that, 30 might be overpaying, but I don't think it's horribly so. Particularly true if a longer extension is worked out. The issue is the bind it puts the niners in after Purdy is paid. Glad it's not my money.

There's a lot of band aids out there on the street that could fill in for Aiyuk. But Aiyuk's route running and chemistry with Purdy will be task to replace, maybe Pearsall can do it, but I rather keep Aiyuk and Pearsall together. But I'd say $27-$28 mil range would be fair IMO, which would put him in the $110-$112 mil. Squabbling over $3 to $4 mil more would only be for bragging rights and pride, IMO, it's about how much of that contract I'll see in my bank account.

Aiyuk probably wants Justin Jefferson numbers.
Would the Niners trade Brandon Aiyuk for Terry McLaurin? Mc is two years older, but he's slightly heavier, but faster coming out of college. He's a precise route runner and Shanahan would probably love him. He's signed through 25, with a 26 void year. If Pearsall takes off, thr Niners could move on and save $$$.

Mc is currently signed at $23M, and he could finally be on a winning team with a legit shot at a SB. With Shanahans run first offense, the Niners #1 WR will probably never lead the league in receptions.

Aiyuk could go to a larger market where he could be the undisputed #1 receiving option, and...Adam Peter's.

Lynch could save money and maybe even get Peter's to throw in a sweetener (future conditional pick).

PFF rankings: Pass Block / Run Block
Brandon Aiyuk: 66.8 / 72.9
Terry McLaurin: 00.0 / 56.8

Admittedly, Aiyuk grades out higher, but, it could be how the Commanders are using Mc.
[ Edited by Butter on Jun 19, 2024 at 1:06 PM ]
Originally posted by Butter:
Would the Niners trade Brandon Aiyuk for Terry McLaurin?

no and why?

Terry is owed $24.1M in 2024 and $23.6M in 2025. this isnt saving the money you think it would be as an Aiyuk extension would contain low cap hits for the first few years.
Would the Niners trade Brandon Aiyuk for Terry McLaurin? Mc is two years older, but he's slightly heavier, but faster coming out of college. He's a precise route runner and Shanahan would probably love him. He's signed through 25, with a 26 void year. If Pearsall takes off, thr Niners could move on and save $$$.

Mc is currently signed at $23M, and he could finally be on a winning team with a legit shot at a SB. With Shanahans run first offense, the Niners #1 WR will probably never lead the league in receptions.

Aiyuk could go to a larger market where he could be the undisputed #1 receiving option, and...Adam Peter's.

Lynch could save money and maybe even get Peter's to throw in a sweetener (future conditional pick).

Admittedly, Aiyuk grades out higher, but, it could be how the Commanders are using Mc.

No way Washington is a larger market than the Bay
[ Edited by Howlett49 on Jun 19, 2024 at 1:25 PM ]
Would the Niners trade Brandon Aiyuk for Terry McLaurin?

no and why?

Terry is owed $24.1M in 2024 and $23.6M in 2025. this isnt saving the money you think it would be as an Aiyuk extension would contain low cap hits for the first few years.

The why is really simple. This is proposed as an emergency contingency plan of they cannot come to terms. Ideally, I would love to see Brandon sign the Niners reported $26 offer.

Acknowledge the cap hit ramifications. The Niners FO could always rework Mc's deal, and give him guaranteed money with a slight extension. I'm not a capologist, but I'm assuming something like that could be done to minimize his current cap hit.
Originally posted by Howlett49:

Really, out of that entire post, thats what sticks out to you? I live out here, and DC, Northern Virginia Maryland are a pretty big national market.

Honestly, I didn't look up the details, I may be off.
The why is really simple. This is proposed as an emergency contingency plan of they cannot come to terms. Ideally, I would love to see Brandon sign the Niners reported $26 offer.

Acknowledge the cap hit ramifications. The Niners FO could always rework Mc's deal, and give him guaranteed money with a slight extension. I'm not a capologist, but I'm assuming something like that could be done to minimize his current cap hit.

if they can't come to terms, BA plays for $14M in '24, they tag him in '25 and look to trade him for a draft pick or two then.

but i highly doubt these negotiations result in an impasse. the Niners want him back and he wants to play for the Niners. something will get done imo.

Meh so is he staying or what? Lol.
So many media experts/analysts still running their opinions based off a very obviously staged Aiyuk video. Good for him, it got the desired result, but does the media not realise it's staged or just chose to play ignorant because of clicks?
Originally posted by Montana:
Meh so is he staying or what? Lol.

Yes
  • thl408
Originally posted by JaggedJ:
So many media experts/analysts still running their opinions based off a very obviously staged Aiyuk video. Good for him, it got the desired result, but does the media not realise it's staged or just chose to play ignorant because of clicks?

Chose to play ignorant because of clicks.
Originally posted by Howlett49:

Really, out of that entire post, thats what sticks out to you? I live out here, and DC, Northern Virginia Maryland are a pretty big national market.

Honestly, I didn't look up the details, I may be off.

San Francisco metro area 4.5 million
Washington DC metro area 6.3 million https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_statistical_area
Share 49ersWebzone