LISTEN: 49ers Snatch Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory →

There are 207 users in the forums

Brandon Aiyuk is a 49er! Pick #25, 2020 NFL Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JTB1974:
They should have extended him last season but the Niners always want to wait until the final year of their deal. I bet Aiyuk would have taken the $26 Million offer last offseason.

If we signed him to $26 Million last offseason the 49ers would be a laughing stock. He wasn't worth that at the time. His 2nd team All-Pro season and the WR market blowing up is what made it $26 million

To your point though, signing him earlier is better business. I will never understand the thinking of the 49ers doing late deals for players that they know they want to keep. Price tags go up, not down, it ain't rocket science
Originally posted by 49ers808:
They should have extended him last season but the Niners always want to wait until the final year of their deal. I bet Aiyuk would have taken the $26 Million offer last offseason.

If we signed him to $26 Million last offseason the 49ers would be a laughing stock. He wasn't worth that at the time. His 2nd team All-Pro season and the WR market blowing up is what made it $26 million

To your point though, signing him earlier is better business. I will never understand the thinking of the 49ers doing late deals for players that they know they want to keep. Price tags go up, not down, it ain't rocket science

We could force him to play out his contract and tag him for 2 years and still not pay 28m. I don't think he's bargaining with leverage here...which is why the negotiations have stalled.
Originally posted by Jakemall:

We could force him to play out his contract and tag him for 2 years and still not pay 28m. I don't think he's bargaining with leverage here...which is why the negotiations have stalled.

Exactly
Originally posted by Silky:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by genus49:
Who is the WR1 that we've had since then? Anquan Boldin? He was towards the end of his career and spent more time playing in the slot than at X.

Anquan Boldin had 2 1,000 seasons with us at RWR. Yeah, he did fade towards the end...but he was still a solid #1. Crabtree was a #1 as well. Although he wasn't great, he was still an above average starting WR. Then most recently, Deebo. He may not have the value he had for us previously with the addition of CMC, but he is still a solid #1 Wr.

All of that was in between T.O and now.

Exactly. He said we hadn't had a #1 WR since TO. I disagree.

B Llyod was solid. We didn't know how to use him fully. He kilt it in Denver

He was super talented. I don't know if we didn't know how to use him. He was inconsistent and immature as a 9er. Even in Denver, he wasn't consistent. Now part of that may have been because of injuries, but the result was the same.

He had absolute garbage throwing to him. Rattay, young A Smith, Trent Dildo, etc. Terrible coaches and O.Coordinators.

Matter of fact he could have been the greatest WR ever
Trade BA and a second rounder in next years draft to the Raiders for Brock Bowers....
[ Edited by pete98146 on Jun 20, 2024 at 11:26 AM ]
It's funny reading the various opinions fro writers that think they knw. Their opinions aren't any better than us fans. One guy says he's staying. Another one says they aren't close. Still another says a trade with the steelers is very possible. One thing I'm positive of. It will continue to be a story until this gets resolved.

The difference is under contract they're won't be paying him $28M or whatever the tag is in FGTD cash each yr…the whole APY thing is dumb (yes I know I've stated over and over).

If BA wants to say he's making $30M per just add a void 4th yr with a massive cap hit…something he has zero chance at recouping (no gtd cash left). Same as Hill/Adams. On paper it can say whatever, in reality it's not that number. You tag him he's getting that cash guaranteed no matter what. There's no manipulating the cap each yr on a tag.

Yes I don't understand as well, the value always goes up. It's just a media circus and distracting for the team. I can't figure out why we do this every year, Kittle, Deebo, Bosa and now Aiyuk.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
It's funny reading the various opinions fro writers that think they knw. Their opinions aren't any better than us fans. One guy says he's staying. Another one says they aren't close. Still another says a trade with the steelers is very possible. One thing I'm positive of. It will continue to be a story until this gets resolved.

Trade isn't happening imo. SF is trying to win right now. They don't give a f**k about next yrs draft and player for player trades (for meaningful players) never happens.

BA is either playing out his contract in SF or getting an extension here…if he does play out his contract, he will likely be tagged and traded if a deal doesn't get done. Those are the most realistic options at this point.

it's the same s**t every yr we have to extend a big time player. You'd think folks would get it by now lol.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Should've got a deal done early. If I'm him I'm not taking less than St Brown either.

He doesn't hold the cards, he can "not take less than ___" all he wants and go down the Leveon Bell path. If I'm the 49ers I stick to my number and call his bluff. He don't take it and continues holding out, well then after a certain point he loses the season and it's back to square one again next year. There's a reason we spent a first on Pearsall and that reason isn't because he was the best player available nor was it a position of need.

Agreed he doesn't have the leverage but I understand why he would want more than 26 a year,.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Trade isn't happening imo. SF is trying to win right now. They don't give a f**k about next yrs draft and player for player trades (for meaningful players) never happens.

BA is either playing out his contract in SF or getting an extension here…if he does play out his contract, he will likely be tagged and traded if a deal doesn't get done. Those are the most realistic options at this point.

it's the same s**t every yr we have to extend a big time player. You'd think folks would get it by now lol.

i agree
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

i agree

He'll be extended before too long. I'm sure of it.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

i agree

He'll be extended before too long. I'm sure of it.

if we look to the other dates of other players doing their extensions, that may inform. i have 0.00% doubt he will be out there week 1. bank on it
The difference is under contract they're won't be paying him $28M or whatever the tag is in FGTD cash each yr…the whole APY thing is dumb (yes I know I've stated over and over).

If BA wants to say he's making $30M per just add a void 4th yr with a massive cap hit…something he has zero chance at recouping (no gtd cash left). Same as Hill/Adams. On paper it can say whatever, in reality it's not that number. You tag him he's getting that cash guaranteed no matter what. There's no manipulating the cap each yr on a tag.

I get that there are games you can play with the cap. I am not considering that only because it simplifies the discussion.
I can't stand Middlekauff (Haberman is better solo) but for whatever reason his talk with Cowherd today popped up on my YouTube, and I watched it, and he actually makes a great point:
if you pay Aiyuk 31/yr... that's double what Fred Warner is getting, and more than Trent Williams

"locker room dynamics"
there's a reason why they extended McCaffrey first

best option imo:
let Aiyuk hold out, there's a deadline (I think week 8, maybe later, failing to find it online) where if he doesn't play by then, he's doesn't accrue the season and he's back in the same exact situation he's in now... next season... except his value is much lower

so, the 49ers hold all the leverage
and to me - Williams, Ward, Kittle, are all more valuable in terms of the X's and O's, AND the locker room, AND they play positions which are scarce in talent, compared to WR where there's and abundance of talent
Share 49ersWebzone