LISTEN: 49ers Snatch Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory →

There are 248 users in the forums

Brandon Aiyuk is a 49er! Pick #25, 2020 NFL Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by Since07:
Disn't Eli Manning and Philip Rivers get swapped?

On draft day. Not after they signed their contracts.

the rules are different now. you cant trade a player until he's under contract. there's no NBA-like "trading the rights of a player" in the NFL now.
Originally posted by DoseOfBosa:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by pete98146:
Trade BA and a second rounder in next years draft to the Raiders for Brock Bowers....

not sure if you're joking or not,
but I personally would love this

and it works out for both teams, because LV has Mayer, and not much in the WR department after Adams

Fantasy football trade offers That's not how it works in the NFL.

You're telling me that you wouldn't trade an all pro WR AND give up a 2nd rounder for a first round TE even when all the history suggests first round TEs rarely ever work out? That's bold bro. I'd do this in a heart beat just to see the rage as Kyle red shirts the first year player like always.

yeah you have a point with TE history, but I think Bowers (f he's anything like was in SEC football) in Shanahan's offense would be insane.

I claimed back in 2017 that McCaffrey would one day be a 49er because he was too good of a fit not to be. Bowers is similar.

But yeah I know it would never happen, it's just fun talk on a message board... sorry to upset everyone with a wild trade idea

If you think the hate is bad on this post try the Trump thread its pure insane hate
Originally posted by boast:
the rules are different now. you cant trade a player until he's under contract. there's no NBA-like "trading the rights of a player" in the NFL now.

Is that right? I didn't know that.
Trade BA and a second rounder in next years draft to the Raiders for Brock Bowers....

and it works out for both teams, because LV has Mayer, and not much in the WR department after Adams

You're telling me that you wouldn't trade an all pro WR AND give up a 2nd rounder for a first round TE even when all the history suggests first round TEs rarely ever work out? That's bold bro. I'd do this in a heart beat just to see the rage as Kyle red shirts the first year player like always.

Lots of first round tight ends end up to be pretty good. I wouldn't do this trade but I'd consider Aiyuk for Bowers and a 2nd and/or JPJ.

Not that there's a chance either would happen.
Originally posted by ninersporvida:

yeah you have a point with TE history, but I think Bowers (f he's anything like was in SEC football) in Shanahan's offense would be insane.

I claimed back in 2017 that McCaffrey would one day be a 49er because he was too good of a fit not to be. Bowers is similar.

But yeah I know it would never happen, it's just fun talk on a message board... sorry to upset everyone with a wild trade idea

If you think the hate is bad on this post try the Trump thread its pure insane hate

Take your politics crap in the PL.

sorry for having fun on a message board

It's not a realistic trade. He already signed his contract and was given his signing bonus. They aren't just gonna piss away 10-15 mil dollars. That's why you don't see rookies getting traded during the offseason, it takes a very rare circumstance.
sorry for having fun on a message board

Just stating how unrealistic those scenarios are. No need to get offended
Yesterday Schefter floated the proposition of Aiyuk playing on the 5th year and being tagged the next season. This has to be 49ers response to Aiyuks video call.
Is it possible to pay him for the last year of his rookie contract (raising his salary) then just re-negotiate next off season?
Originally posted by Patton:
Is it possible to pay him for the last year of his rookie contract (raising his salary) then just re-negotiate next off season?

It's totally possible.

The 49ers would have to franchise tag him to avoid him going into free agency, however.

Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
Yesterday Schefter floated the proposition of Aiyuk playing on the 5th year and being tagged the next season. This has to be 49ers response to Aiyuks video call.

Yeah that is great in theory but what that does to our cap, probably isn't feasible. At least not without making some serious adjustments to our roster.

when you play in a fifth year options - the ENTIRE $14M+ is fully guaranteed and is the cap hit. Same goes for a franchise tag - so the full $20M+ would be a huge cap hit to the team. Idk if we are set up to eat that.

thats why signing an extension is so important cause it gives us a lot longer to spread the money out and restructure it so lower his cap hits.

I don't see any way we play him next year on a franchise tag. At worst, we tag him and then trade him after this year (assuming we can't resign him) is my opinion
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jun 22, 2024 at 9:27 AM ]
Originally posted by tankle104:
Yeah that is great in theory but what that does to our cap, probably isn't feasible. At least not without making some serious adjustments to our roster.

when you play in a fifth year options - the ENTIRE $14M+ is fully guaranteed and is the cap hit. Same goes for a franchise tag - so the full $20M+ would be a huge cap hit to the team. Idk if we are set up to eat that.

thats why signing an extension is so important cause it gives us a lot longer to spread the money out and restructure it so lower his cap hits.

I don't see any way we play him next year on a franchise tag. At worst, we tag him and then trade him after this year (assuming we can't resign him) is my opinion
Good knowledge, thanks.

Good knowledge, thanks.

But it's def possible. AB knows more on this than I do. I just know that if we tag him - it'll be a huge one year cap hit and our cap is already tight. The franchise tag amount is based on the highest paid guys - this year it's $21M and next year it probably jumps to $26M+. So that would be BAs cap hit.

thats over $40M in cap hits for 2 years of BA if we play him on the fifth year this year and franchise tag next year

but we do have multi year leverage over BA. We could play him on the fifth year option (which $14M is a good deal) and then trade him to a WR needy team after the season when we franchise him and then some team signs him to a big contract.

realistically, BA would also need to produce this year to keep up his value - so he would be motivated. My preference is to just resign him, he's good, but that much money on a WR can be sketchy. He deserves to get paid - it'll be interesting if we do it or not. Damn market exploded and teams paid way more than expected
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jun 22, 2024 at 10:04 AM ]

Yeah that is great in theory but what that does to our cap, probably isn't feasible. At least not without making some serious adjustments to our roster.iyu

I get your point, but no way we can't do this and the advantages are huge. First of all, as I understand it, we are over $35m under the cap now, and the plan is to rotate most of that into next year. Secondly, we would be saving about $12m against what we would be offering him, although we could and would push much of that off into future years. It's not gone. Thirdly, we'd have the flexibility to move on after this season with no dead cap hit on that bonus and guarantees and future years under that contract he'd already have. Fourthly, Aiyuk and not us, would be taking the risk of a performance decline or injury. Fifthly, we would certainly tag him next year, and then make a more informed determination on which way to go. We would know his health and performance and that of the rest of our players including our two rookie WRS, we could still trade him for a draft pick(s) that would be in the current year whereas we can not do that now, and we could still sign him to a long term contract and still push the money back out of the early years starting another year down the road to get more cheap years out of him.

I think this is the Best path from the team perspective, and therefor we should hold firm on our $26m offer. For all the reasons above, and the fact that you don't leave a generational wealth contract on the table, if BA is not as dumb as AB, and I bet he is not, he will take it.
Originally posted by BOI49er:
I get your point, but no way we can't do this and the advantages are huge. First of all, as I understand it, we are over $35m under the cap now, and the plan is to rotate most of that into next year. Secondly, we would be saving about $12m against what we would be offering him, although we could and would push much of that off into future years. It's not gone. Thirdly, we'd have the flexibility to move on after this season with no dead cap hit on that bonus and guarantees and future years under that contract he'd already have. Fourthly, Aiyuk and not us, would be taking the risk of a performance decline or injury. Fifthly, we would certainly tag him next year, and then make a more informed determination on which way to go. We would know his health and performance and that of the rest of our players including our two rookie WRS, we could still trade him for a draft pick(s) that would be in the current year whereas we can not do that now, and we could still sign him to a long term contract and still push the money back out of the early years starting another year down the road to get more cheap years out of him.

I think this is the Best path from the team perspective, and therefor we should hold firm on our $26m offer. For all the reasons above, and the fact that you don't leave a generational wealth contract on the table, if BA is not as dumb as AB, and I bet he is not, he will take it.

Right now we are over the 2025 by a projected $26M, so that roll over isn't really money we will have. It's meant to cover our expenses. Now the cap could go up a lot again and help give us space but this years salary cap space is mainly meant to help clear up next year to assist in resigning Brock etc.

I agree that it's best for both parties to resign BA and I hope it's in the $27M range. I expect we give him a big signing bonus and spread it out to clear up space for the next few years.

next year we have some key contracts up and need room to keep adding talent in FA. But yes, it's best for BA to secure serious generational wealth this off season and for our salary - I just don't see us keeping him around on the franchise tag, i think we would trade him.
Share 49ersWebzone