LISTEN: 49ers Snatch Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory →

There are 227 users in the forums

Brandon Aiyuk is a 49er! Pick #25, 2020 NFL Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by BOI49er:
I get your point, but no way we can't do this and the advantages are huge. First of all, as I understand it, we are over $35m under the cap now, and the plan is to rotate most of that into next year. Secondly, we would be saving about $12m against what we would be offering him, although we could and would push much of that off into future years. It's not gone. Thirdly, we'd have the flexibility to move on after this season with no dead cap hit on that bonus and guarantees and future years under that contract he'd already have. Fourthly, Aiyuk and not us, would be taking the risk of a performance decline or injury. Fifthly, we would certainly tag him next year, and then make a more informed determination on which way to go. We would know his health and performance and that of the rest of our players including our two rookie WRS, we could still trade him for a draft pick(s) that would be in the current year whereas we can not do that now, and we could still sign him to a long term contract and still push the money back out of the early years starting another year down the road to get more cheap years out of him.

I think this is the Best path from the team perspective, and therefor we should hold firm on our $26m offer. For all the reasons above, and the fact that you don't leave a generational wealth contract on the table, if BA is not as dumb as AB, and I bet he is not, he will take it.

Right now we are over the 2025 by a projected $26M, so that roll over isn't really money we will have. It's meant to cover our expenses. Now the cap could go up a lot again and help give us space but this years salary cap space is mainly meant to help clear up next year to assist in resigning Brock etc.

I agree that it's best for both parties to resign BA and I hope it's in the $27M range. I expect we give him a big signing bonus and spread it out to clear up space for the next few years.

next year we have some key contracts up and need room to keep adding talent in FA. But yes, it's best for BA to secure serious generational wealth this off season and for our salary - I just don't see us keeping him around on the franchise tag, i think we would trade him.

I agree. We would tag him to sign him or trade him, either of which would not result in a big cap hit for 2025. Either way, take his cheap 5th year option first if he really wants to give it to us.
Originally posted by DoseOfBosa:
I can't stand Middlekauff (Haberman is better solo) but for whatever reason his talk with Cowherd today popped up on my YouTube, and I watched it, and he actually makes a great point:
if you pay Aiyuk 31/yr... that's double what Fred Warner is getting, and more than Trent Williams

"locker room dynamics"
there's a reason why they extended McCaffrey first

best option imo:
let Aiyuk hold out, there's a deadline (I think week 8, maybe later, failing to find it online) where if he doesn't play by then, he's doesn't accrue the season and he's back in the same exact situation he's in now... next season... except his value is much lower

so, the 49ers hold all the leverage
and to me - Williams, Ward, Kittle, are all more valuable in terms of the X's and O's, AND the locker room, AND they play positions which are scarce in talent, compared to WR where there's and abundance of talent

I think this goes both ways...

Yes I am sure there is some ego when it comes to money, but on the other hand...this team appears to be pretty close by NFL standards. What happens in the locker room when you have a guy who can be helping you win is not being taken care of?

The whole 5th year and double franchise tag stuff is the nuclear option, that is probably not talked about much in the NFL....it is going to automatically upset the player, and who knows how many other players on the team. It would not shock me to find out that even bringing it up sends shockwaves through out the roster.

I get that the team has the power, but I can''t think of a situation that the team being heavy handed has ever worked in the long run.....because the counter balance to the franchises power, is the players chemistry.

It is early for me, and I have not had coffee yet....but can anyone provide an example that a contending team force compliance from a star player and that team lived up to expectations?

I think back to 92 or 93 when Dallas was in a mini fight Emmit Smith about him becoming the best paid running back in the history of the NFL. Jimmy Johnson told a story about watching the team loosing the locker room, he basically said if they don't get Emmit back in the building quickly, they are going to have to break up this team. Johnson recognized this was not about dollar and cents to the player, it was more about providing ALL the players an opportunity to win. Team chemistry is a fickle thing, sometimes the value of a player is not only what they personally do on the football team and the money you give a guy or don't give a guy is an example of the partnership between the team and all the players.

BA is a good player, he is a needed player....I personally do not think he is a great player or worth the money being talked about....but good and attainable is better than great and unattainable especially when you are in win now mode.
I agree. We would tag him to sign him or trade him, either of which would not result in a big cap hit for 2025. Either way, take his cheap 5th year option first if he really wants to give it to us.

Yeah, I think that's worst case scenario and I believe that's why we have all the leverage.

when you factor in the salary explosion for WRs, him making $14.1M is a super bargain. So things would have to get super ugly.

I think 1 of 2 things are most likely to happen:
1. We resign him and everything's good. We move forward no big deal. Everyone's happy. (Still most likely in my opinion).
2. we can't come to a resolution so we force him to play on the 1 year deal since Aiyuk is very good and relatively cheap - he makes us better if we are chasing a chip and he would be super motivated. Then we franchise him at the end of the year and trade him somewhere.

I think it's highly unlikely we move him this off season, although not out of the realm of possibility.

Yeah, I think that's worst case scenario and I believe that's why we have all the leverage.

when you factor in the salary explosion for WRs, him making $14.1M is a super bargain. So things would have to get super ugly.

1. We resign him and everything's good. We move forward no big deal. Everyone's happy. (Still most likely in my opinion).
2. we can't come to a resolution so we force him to play on the 1 year deal since Aiyuk is very good and relatively cheap - he makes us better if we are chasing a chip and he would be super motivated. Then we franchise him at the end of the year and trade him somewhere.

I think it's highly unlikely we move him this off season, although not out of the realm of possibility.

Bullseye, every word.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Bullseye, every word.

Worst part about all of this is we've seen this before, but every talking head having to feed into the 24 hour news cycle keeps reporting the same points. When he's signed, the ones who said he'd be traded will report on how close we came.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
:)
I'm not trading Aiyuk even if he doesn't sign an extension. This team gets worse when it needs to win the SB this year, if he's dead set on 30 plus just trade him next off season
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
I'm not trading Aiyuk even if he doesn't sign an extension. This team gets worse when it needs to win the SB this year, if he's dead set on 30 plus just trade him next off season
just tag him for a first
He's going to re-sign somewhere around the St. Brown and Waddle contracts.

Both sides have way too much to lose if a contract doesn't get done.

This sounds great in a perfect world. But it could also turn into him being disgruntled, and him missing camp. Leading to a lack luster performance or injury.
The parties need to agree and he needs to be here for TC ready to go. Hold out won't do any good for anyone.
Originally posted by lamontb:

This sounds great in a perfect world. But it could also turn into him being disgruntled, and him missing camp. Leading to a lack luster performance or injury.

He's playing for a contract he can't get now.
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
The parties need to agree and he needs to be here for TC ready to go. Hold out won't do any good for anyone.

I don't know the details, but the experts say the fine structure when already under contract can't be forgiven and pretty much makes holdouts impossible anymore.
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:

I don't know the details, but the experts say the fine structure when already under contract can't be forgiven and pretty much makes holdouts impossible anymore.

Bosa and Chris Jones were hold out's last year.
Share 49ersWebzone