LISTEN: 49ers Snatch Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory →

There are 261 users in the forums

Brandon Aiyuk is a 49er! Pick #25, 2020 NFL Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Reading AND comprehension. Try it. I stated why he isn't a high volume receiver. The point it, he wants to be paid like he is AND have the benefits of not being one. It's not that hard to understand.

And yeah if I had a great job that I loved, with lots of benefits - paying say $25 an hour. Or an absolute crap job that I hated going to every day, no benefits - paying $27...I'll take the slightly lesser pay for much better job.

No you didn't lol. You didn't give a single reason as to why he can't be a high volume receiver. Explain why he can't get 150+ targets a yr…outside of there being a f**k ton of talent on the roster. I wouldn't even say it's the scheme.

go look at Andre Johnson, Julio Jones, Pierre Garcon….all Kyle's lead split ends (XWR) in the past. they got force fed the ball under him. The only difference is Kyle didn't have Kittle/deebo/CMC to go along with those guys.

How is that example on point? We're talking about millions of dollars not a couple bucks. Losing out $8-10M is not the same as $25-$27 per hr.

Playing in the NFL doesn't suck for these guys period. You acting like any other job besides being in SF blows is silly.

Again...slower this time...look at his stats. He's had TWO 1,000+ yard seasons, and one of those was barely. Nowhere did I say he "can't" be a high volume receiver, I said he "wasn't". And his STATS show that.

Apparently you don't understand comparrisons either. Honestly, think I'll pass on wasting any more of my time trying to explain basic concepts to you.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
the volume isn't something he can control, with us being dead last in pass attempts. i don't think that gives us justification to pay less. after all he is still out on the field when he's not running routes, and he's blocking his tail off, which is a big deal in our O

on another note, the contract is presumably a long term deal, and it's hard to bake in assumptions about volume. KS would be the first to tell you that we don't know what the future holds and who will be around. so the volume can be radically different in a year or two and he's still on the contract. the contract should reflect his ability vs his peers, not our volume. just my 2 cents

Go look at some past XWRs in Kyle's scheme Jonhson/jones/Garcon all got force fed the ball. s**t even Goodwin got over 100+ targets the one year we had no one else.

Basing it off volume is dumb. Go look at the metrics per catch and how good he was. Like you said that stuff is out of his control. We have a great roster currently BUT guys like little/Deebo might not be here past this season. They will at least want an extension.

also imo we should be throwing the ball more, especially if you're paying the QB $200M. Why wouldn't folks want BA and Brock locked up for the next 4yrs?
Again...slower this time...look at his stats. He's had TWO 1,000+ yard seasons, and one of those was barely. Nowhere did I say he "can't" be a high volume receiver, I said he "wasn't". And his STATS show that.

Apparently you don't understand comparrisons either. Honestly, think I'll pass on wasting any more of my time trying to explain basic concepts to you.

Derp again that's not on him. Not sure how you can't f**king comprehend that? We have all-pros TE/WR and RB and one ball. We had the least about of passing attempts in the nfl last yr.

only 75 catches this yr and was top 10 in yards. Lead the league in yards per reception. Near the top in catch % and yards per route run.

What you think CMC/Kittle and Deebo are all gonna be here in two yrs? Get real man. We got ALL these guys for one more yr and then some hard decisions will be made (between kittle/deebo). I'll take the youngest of the bunch and who CAN play outside at a high level and play with Brock for the next 4yrs.

I don't give a rats ass if he hasn't been hand fed a bunch of easy targets. I can care what he does every time he touches the ball and it was at an all-pro level.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 27, 2024 at 12:52 PM ]
Derp again that's not on him. Not sure how you can't f**king comprehend that? We have all-pros TE/WR and RB and one ball. We had the least about of passing attempts in the nfl last yr.

only 75 catches this yr and was top 10 in yards. Lead the league in yards per reception. Near the top in catch % and yards per route run.

What you think CMC/Kittle and Deebo are all gonna be here in two yrs? Get real man. We got ALL these guys for one more yr and then some hard decisions will be made (between kittle/deebo). I'll take the youngest of the bunch and who CAN play outside at a high level and play with Brock for the next 4yrs.

I don't give a rats ass if he hasn't been hand fed a bunch of easy targets. I can care what he does every time he touches the ball and it was at an all-pro level.

I think there is merit to both sides of this debate.

I will, however, add that all the offensive talent that hinders his volume, is also the reason his production per catch numbers are so good. This is not to take anything away from BA, because he is a top tier WR. But, would he still produce the same totals per reception if those others weren't here? In other words, it seems possible his volume could go up, but his production goes down, which must certainly be considered in any sort of negotiation. You certainly cannot use volume, alone, nor can you use his production per recption, alone. Neither of these exist in a vacuum.

It's a hard choice to make, but in the end the 49ers will pay him. I think he and Brock could be excellent for years to come.
Originally posted by Polkadots:

I will, however, add that all the offensive talent that hinders his volume, is also the reason his production per catch numbers are so good. This is not to take anything away from BA, because he is a top tier WR. But, would he still produce the same totals per reception if those others weren't here? In other words, it seems possible his volume could go up, but his production goes down, which must certainly be considered in any sort of negotiation. You certainly cannot use volume, alone, nor can you use his production per recption, alone. Neither of these exist in a vacuum.

It's a hard choice to make, but in the end the 49ers will pay him. I think he and Brock could be excellent for years to come.

Possibly. I mean I don't see how that would affect his catch %, his yards pre route run, or yards per reception? He's still playing the same position on this offense regardless of who's out there (X).

Him being able to beat man coverage is his own skill set. That's route running and his releases off the LOS. Then we can talk about the blocking as well.
Possibly. I mean I don't see how that would affect his catch %, his yards pre route run, or yards per reception? He's still playing the same position on this offense regardless of who's out there (X).

Him being able to beat man coverage is his own skill set. That's route running and his releases off the LOS. Then we can talk about the blocking as well.

amen on the bold. he has been putting DBs on their backside including Ramsey, Jamel Dean, you name it
Dean fell on his butt so hard i believe he had to check out of the game for a while

Purdy ball
Pay the man
Originally posted by lamontb:
Pay the man

That would be the smart thing to do.

The long term benefit is why I think they will ultimately pay him. I also think the 49ers are trying to get him for as low a number as possible. 49ers are tough negotiators so it's a battle of wills. At least another month of this is coming. My only irritation is that the players more or less told Aiyuk this would happen, but he seems really bothered.

amen on the bold. he has been putting DBs on their backside including Ramsey, Jamel Dean, you name it
Dean fell on his butt so hard i believe he had to check out of the game for a while

It's crazy the amount of work he's put in to get where he's at…one of the issues with him in college was the lack of dealing with press/man coverage.

IMO he's earned that cash, folks are now trying to poke holes in his game because they don't want billionaires to pay more cash? Who cares, pay the good players that we've develop.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
The long term benefit is why I think they will ultimately pay him. I also think the 49ers are trying to get him for as low a number as possible. 49ers are tough negotiators so it's a battle of wills. At least another month of this is coming. My only irritation is that the players more or less told Aiyuk this would happen, but he seems really bothered.

I agree he has taken it a bit personal and that's not gonna help

It's crazy the amount of work he's put in to get where he's at…one of the issues with him in college was the lack of dealing with press/man coverage.

IMO he's earned that cash, folks are now trying to poke holes in his game because they don't want billionaires to pay more cash? Who cares, pay the good players that we've develop.

Billionaires pay more cash? That is So wrong. The only billionaire that matters has already given Lynch and Shanahan the authority to spend the cap as they see best, and Every time they've gone to him to say we think we should advance front money to lock somebody up, Jed has Always said yes if you think it's best.

Look, I agree with you. Aiyuk is awesome, and better than his numbers to date. My opinion the reason he has Never asked for a trade is that he really does want to stay with this winning team, and he knows the leverage the team has given the circumstances, and he already knows he must eventually resign with us. He will sign a long term contract, because no alternative course of action is rational. He will tease wanting to go to other teams and playing the diva as a negotiating tactic, and he will cut his best deal, but he will sign, and imo before training camp, because if he doesn't, he will be playing for $14.1m with no security.

Here's the fact of the matter. The team would be best off playing him on the 5th year, and going from there with the tag in their hip pocket. They're not going to do that, because Aiyuk has earned better, and they want to protect their reputation of treating players fairly and with respect.

Aiyuk has earned respect, but IMO, so does Jed York in building this team and reputation as someplace players want to gravitate to.
Originally posted by Polkadots:

He didn't beat any man coverage in the Super Bowl. He was covered like a blanket.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He didn't beat any man coverage in the Super Bowl. He was covered like a blanket.

in fairness to BA i think he's open on the plays that gone blown up with pass pro issues at the end of the game, the failed 3rd down plays
Share 49ersWebzone