There are 482 users in the forums

Brandon Aiyuk is a 49er! Pick #25, 2020 NFL Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by BOI49er:
We're not waiting. We have a large contract on the table for him now. He's not waiting, imo because he see this situation more clearly. Seems to me he's telling us for sure he wants to come back and to chill.

You say his worst case is he makes $14,1m this year, but then you say he'll make a lot more if he doesn't sign a contract with us. If he doesn't sign a contract with us, he Will be playing the 5th year of his contract. We're offering him $26m on average, and we all understand he'll get much of his cash up front. But even not counting that, $14m is $12m less than $26m, and even if he thinks he can do better later, it's doubtful he'll ever cover that $12m difference in these contract years, and meanwhile that injury risk is certainly real and on him beyond the current year.

Cousins was Not in the same situation. His contract was up, so he at least got the tag value from the first year. That's the difference, plus if he won't sign, we can stretch this out Three years on two tag years, and still save us a ton less than the $104m we are offering him. Don't forget, we are offering Aiyuk a contract a year before his current contract is up, with the commensurate raise we don't have to do.

I think this proves even in the short run, he's better off signing now. In the long term, your logic that contracts will go up still applies, as the cap will be still higher in 4 years than in a year or two, and he can't even control getting to free agency then, and he's certainly young enough to get another contract if he starts this one now. I believe he will, and all this consternation will become a waste of time.

He is making $14m this year, an extension will only lower that, so not sure where you are coming up with the $26m for this year.
He will however get a signing bonus, most likely majority of his year 1 money. But this is year 5, and will remain year 5. Next year will be year 1.
And he may not get that money up front, it may get locked in an escrow account depending on the terms. So the jump start investments doesn't work either. Also the niners likely can not afford to pay him the franchise tag, which gives him a lot of leverage.

His baseline is 14, 25, 30. Year 5 franchise 1 and 2. So your $26yr is less than his next 2 years would be with no extension. So anything less than $55m in new money is him taking a paycut.

And you are using 2 points that are contrary. He should want money now so sign this, and in 4 years when the market goes up he can get his money. But this is while you are talking about paying less than market now.
He can make 14 this year and get a 4yr contract next year for $120 with $70 in gtd money. So over the next 3 years make $84m or your $66m. Even assuming a great 10% ROI it is only a one year headstart so next year he will have $73m which is still less than 84. And that 84 can be in a no tax state which is an immediate 11+% gain.

Right. Lol
aiyuks decision that he has to make is how comfortable is he with risk, meaning getting potentially hurt. If he's comfortable playing this year out and banking that he won't get hurt - that's how he will make the most money.

if he plays this year out - waits for CeeDee & Chase to sign contracts and whoever else (especially if he has another top season), he will sign for a ton more money next off season.

its just the risk between securing some money now vs gambling that he won't get seriously hurt.

Two seasons. We will tag him and it's still less than what he'd get on a new deal so .....good luck lol
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Two seasons. We will tag him and it's still less than what he'd get on a new deal so .....good luck lol

Is it though? Is paying him $40M+ AGAINST THE CAP over the next two seasons something we can do?

it's one thing to give him $50M and spread it out over 5 years and it's another to give him $40M+ and spread it over this season and next. Which is better?

One of those is feasible while resigning key guys and the others cap straps us and gives us zero cap flexibility.

no way in hell we will be able to afford him on the franchise tag next year. If we do, it'll come at the cost of some players to allocate that much cap space to BA.

the reality is that we either resign him or we tag & trade him next off season. Keeping him around after this year without an extension really isn't cap feasible without putting us in a sketchy cap situation.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jun 30, 2024 at 6:11 AM ]
Is it though? Is paying him $40M+ AGAINST THE CAP over the next two seasons something we can do?

it's one thing to give him $50M and spread it out over 5 years and it's another to give him $40M+ and spread it over this season and next. Which is better?

One of those is feasible while resigning key guys and the others cap straps us and gives us zero cap flexibility.

no way in hell we will be able to afford him on the franchise tag next year. If we do, it'll come at the cost of some players to allocate that much cap space to BA.

the reality is that we either resign him or we tag & trade him next off season. Keeping him around after this year without an extension really isn't cap feasible without putting us in a sketchy cap situation.

We are more than fine with letting him play out this year then tag him and trade him because we will be left with CMC Kittle Deebo JJ Pearsall Cowing and the likely first round draft pick we would acquire trading him or at a minimum second round draft pick. At worst we have him this year at $14M because we have drafted his replacements if it comes down to it and we can trade him for the draft capital to acquire another cheap player next draft while paying Purdy
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
We are more than fine with letting him play out this year then tag him and trade him because we will be left with CMC Kittle Deebo JJ Pearsall Cowing and the likely first round draft pick we would acquire trading him or at a minimum second round draft pick. At worst we have him this year at $14M because we have drafted his replacements if it comes down to it and we can trade him for the draft capital to acquire another cheap player next draft while paying Purdy

I agree, I think we will just play him on his fifth year and tag/trade him next off season. I don't see him going anywhere this year.

im just speaking to that guys comment that Aiyuk is leaving money on the table, he's only doing that through the perspective of risk. If he has a high risk tolerance - he can make the most by betting that he will stay healthy and play out the fifth year. For long term security, it's best for him to sign an extension this off season.

we will be fine regardless and I'm glad we will have him for this year.
Originally posted by Typecast:
An extension lowers his cap hit while his cash flow increases for 2024. Using the 116.825M/4 extension described in the post linked above (sry, can't link) for expository purposes, Aiyuk would have a minimized P5 Salary of $1.125M for 2024 and a signing bonus of $25M. While year 1 of the extension wouldn't start until 2025, Aiyuk gets that signing bonus this year at whatever payout date gets worked out. For cap accounting purposes though, that signing bonus is considered paid as soon as he signs the extension. The signing bonus would be prorated over 5 years, resulting in a $6.125M cap hit the 49ers would account for in 2024 while his cash earnings for 2024 would go from $14M to $26.125M.

The league doesn't require exercised guaranteed money be put into escrow until the end of March AFTER they do their yearly accounting. The yearly accounting is done around the end of January. So any extension for any player between February 1, 2024 and January 31, 2025, wouldn't need the money escrowed until March 31, 2025. By then, his 2024 Salary plus signing bonus would have already been paid out, thus not needing to be escrowed.

Players pay taxes on game-related checks (salary, per-game bonuses) based on the location of the game. Some states even offer credits to athletes. At the end of the day, players will end up spending the difference no matter where they go (other taxes exist besides income tax) and should just take the highest bid for their services.

The point i was making with the 14m is the person is arguing he is down 12m this year if he plays under the 5th year. I was pointing out that is not true.

Also pointing out Gtd money is many different things. He may not get as much up front as the person was stating. It could be a roster bonus in '26 and '27 to push out the cap hit, but BA does not get that until the date.

And other taxes do exist. But i am not sure anywhere touches that area of CA. Property tax rate might be lower, but a 3br 3 bath house on a 1/2 acre is triple the cost of a 5br 6 bath 10 acre place in Texas. So you might pay 6% in tx and 3% in CA, but the monetary value is still higher. Also i believe your home state still taxes your away checks.

So income tax is a HUGE incentive for a player, especially when they can just share an apartment near team fCilities and have no property tax while living in Arizona outside of the season.
The way I see it - SF needs to just get this deal done with where it is or accept the reality that we won't be resigning Aiyuk long term.

like you said - the price is just going to go up and up. So it's either sign BA where the market is now (since we waited over a few mil early in the off season, it'll cost SF. Millions more than they wanted it to). Or we accept that after this year we are trading him away. Cause next year he will be even more expensive to resign.

where SF messed up was being stingy in the early part of the off season - that mistake cost them millions a year in salary for BA.

Yeah sucks but that's kinda the reality of it.
  • Cosmo
I agree, I think we will just play him on his fifth year and tag/trade him next off season. I don't see him going anywhere this year.

im just speaking to that guys comment that Aiyuk is leaving money on the table, he's only doing that through the perspective of risk. If he has a high risk tolerance - he can make the most by betting that he will stay healthy and play out the fifth year. For long term security, it's best for him to sign an extension this off season.

If he plays on his 5th year option, wouldn't he be a FA after the season?
[ Edited by Cosmo on Jun 30, 2024 at 1:17 PM ]
Originally posted by Cosmo:

If he plays on his 5th year option, wouldn't he be a FA after the season?

Technically, yes, but we could franchise tag him and then either keep him on that/work out an extension/or trade him.

if it gets to that, we are most likely trading him cause resigning him then would be more expensive than he is now and I doubt we could afford a huge $28M cap hit from the franchise tag - it can't be spread out over multiple seasons, it hits all in that year.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jun 30, 2024 at 1:28 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
The way I see it - SF needs to just get this deal done with where it is or accept the reality that we won't be resigning Aiyuk long term.

like you said - the price is just going to go up and up. So it's either sign BA where the market is now (since we waited over a few mil early in the off season, it'll cost SF. Millions more than they wanted it to). Or we accept that after this year we are trading him away. Cause next year he will be even more expensive to resign.

where SF messed up was being stingy in the early part of the off season - that mistake cost them millions a year in salary for BA.

CeeDee lamb and Chase are still working on their extension, so he will be more expensive if we don't ink before then.

I imagine Chase will want $32M or so, close to Jefferson, and I can see Aiyuk wanting more than lamb.

im still optimistic we resign him but the part I can't figure out is how did the front office not know that the market would pop with all these guys getting new contracts? You'd imagine they would have had a heads up and would have pushed to get it done, I guess not. Thats the surprising part to me.

CeeDee lamb and Chase are still working on their extension, so he will be more expensive if we don't ink before then.

I imagine Chase will want $32M or so, close to Jefferson, and I can see Aiyuk wanting more than lamb.

im still optimistic we resign him but the part I can't figure out is how did the front office not know that the market would pop with all these guys getting new contracts? You'd imagine they would have had a heads up and would have pushed to get it done, I guess not. Thats the surprising part to me.
I would imagine both sides were aware the market would pop so Aiyuk probably wasn't in any hurry to sign on the dotted line.

Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by Typecast:
An extension lowers his cap hit while his cash flow increases for 2024. Using the 116.825M/4 extension described in the post linked above (sry, can't link) for expository purposes, Aiyuk would have a minimized P5 Salary of $1.125M for 2024 and a signing bonus of $25M. While year 1 of the extension wouldn't start until 2025, Aiyuk gets that signing bonus this year at whatever payout date gets worked out. For cap accounting purposes though, that signing bonus is considered paid as soon as he signs the extension. The signing bonus would be prorated over 5 years, resulting in a $6.125M cap hit the 49ers would account for in 2024 while his cash earnings for 2024 would go from $14M to $26.125M.

The league doesn't require exercised guaranteed money be put into escrow until the end of March AFTER they do their yearly accounting. The yearly accounting is done around the end of January. So any extension for any player between February 1, 2024 and January 31, 2025, wouldn't need the money escrowed until March 31, 2025. By then, his 2024 Salary plus signing bonus would have already been paid out, thus not needing to be escrowed.

Players pay taxes on game-related checks (salary, per-game bonuses) based on the location of the game. Some states even offer credits to athletes. At the end of the day, players will end up spending the difference no matter where they go (other taxes exist besides income tax) and should just take the highest bid for their services.

The point i was making with the 14m is the person is arguing he is down 12m this year if he plays under the 5th year. I was pointing out that is not true.

Also pointing out Gtd money is many different things. He may not get as much up front as the person was stating. It could be a roster bonus in '26 and '27 to push out the cap hit, but BA does not get that until the date.

And other taxes do exist. But i am not sure anywhere touches that area of CA. Property tax rate might be lower, but a 3br 3 bath house on a 1/2 acre is triple the cost of a 5br 6 bath 10 acre place in Texas. So you might pay 6% in tx and 3% in CA, but the monetary value is still higher. Also i believe your home state still taxes your away checks.

So income tax is a HUGE incentive for a player, especially when they can just share an apartment near team fCilities and have no property tax while living in Arizona outside of the season.

The most likely outcome of an extension is that Aiyuk signs a 4-year extension, worth around $29M a yr, $80M GTD, $40M-$43M GTD, I have him with a potential deal that has a 3 tier bonus structure, just like how Nick Bosa & Christian McCaffrey got the past 2 offseasons, so I'd do a $25M signing bonus, then $15M option bonus due in 2025, and $12.5M option bonus due in 2026, with $750K per game rbs, & $100K workout bonuses, which wouldn't start until 2025, along with base salaries of $1.125M in 2024, $3.15M in 2025, & $13.65M in 2026, with cap numbers of $6.125M(2024), $12M(2025), & $25M(2026), this deal would also have a cash flow of $72.125M over the first 3 years, which completely beats out Amon-Ra St. Brown's $63.386M, while the total GTD money comes in at exactly $80M, with $42.775M of it being fully GTD(2024 base, 2025 base, $5M of 2026 base, $25M signing bonus, & $8.5M of his 2025 option bonus), again toping St. Brown's $77M GTD, with $36.666M fully GTD, if Aiyuk won't take a deal like this, or similar to this, then idk what he'll take, we're likely not even offering him a deal like this, because TJ Housmanzadeh or however you spell his name said if the 49ers offered a deal like St. Brown's,. then BA would take it.

I honestly think Ja'Marr Chase will want at least what Justin Jefferson got, maybe more, like $35.5M a yr, just beating him out by $500K a yr, I doubt Lamb sniffs near Jefferson's deal.

As for the front office not knowing about the WR market exploding, I don't think teams tell other teams what they're about to do, so we didn't know PHI would give Devonta Smith $25M a yr, or DET giving Amon-Ra St. Brown $30M a yr, or PHI then giving AJ Brown $32M a yr, and then finally MIN giving Justin Jefferson $35M a yr, though the Jefferson deal was obviously gonna top Bosa's deal IMO anyway.

BA won't be more expensive than them…this isn't like QBs who just reset the market constantly.
BA won't be more expensive than them…this isn't like QBs who just reset the market constantly.

BA is gonna likely slot in at fifth highest paid which is where I'd rank his ability amongst NFL WRs.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
BA is gonna likely slot in at fifth highest paid which is where I'd rank his ability amongst NFL WRs.

The advantage of waiting in our minds would be to ensure that BA lands where he is supposed to land even though it's gonna cost us more. At the end of the day we can tell Aiyuk that after all eligible WRs have been paid we're able to slot you in where you belong and no one is getting paid way outta line than with what we're offering you
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Jun 30, 2024 at 4:35 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone