LISTEN: 49ers Snatch Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory →

There are 274 users in the forums

Brandon Aiyuk is a 49er! Pick #25, 2020 NFL Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Aiyuk is good but not special. At least not special enough to demand money from this team. His production will be replaced and he'll sink to mediocrity without Kyle's play calls getting him open.
Originally posted by jcs:
Aiyuk is good but not special. At least not special enough to demand money from this team. His production will be replaced and he'll sink to mediocrity without Kyle's play calls getting him open.

Eh I doubt he will become mediocre but I don't see him becoming an elite threat if he's the main focus of an offense.

hes a really good WR and awesome blocker, which is an awesome asset, but he isn't special. I'd like to see us resign him but if we don't - I don't see it as a major problem. We will either have him for one more year and then tag/trade or we pull off a player trade this year for someone who can immediately help.

outside of Aiyuk getting hurt, it's kinda hard for the niners to lose in this situation.
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
BA to the Mile High for Surtain who says no

lol the Broncos
There is 6 players that if the Niners lose to a season ending injury their team's season is pretty much over as far as the SB dreams are concerned. And BA is not one of them. So While it would make them worse without him I think they would still be ok.

Anyways those 6 players are

Purdy
Trent
CMC
Kittle
Bosa
Warner
pearsall gets more playing time, we lose a crybaby. salary cap remains basically healthy and keeps our window open and we get more picks. i dont see a downside
Originally posted by NYniner85:
That's the equivalent of what two or 3 games? Yet Brandon had over 300 more yards and avg 18 yards per catch vs 12.7 for TM. BA Caught 73% of his balls vs 60% for TM. Succ rate wasn't even in the same realm. Brandon was 3 overall at 70.5 vs 49 for TM.

they're not in the same tier and we're not even talking about age and contracts.

I mean if they're the same why would DC even think about making a move?

I think you are seriously underrating McLaurin/overrating Aiyuk here, given their respective situations. There really isn't any overall discernable difference between the two players individually.

TM is the #1 weapon on a team who weekly will face defenses that are far more concerned about him than they are when facing Aiyuk and the 49ers. Far more concerned. That's primarily why I disregard a ton of these 'advanced' stats, because BA SHOULD be more 'efficient.' BA is at best, #3 (Kittle is arguably the best TE in the game and Aiyuk ain't close to that as far as the WR position goes, and CMC is the main focus because SF is a run-oriented offense in the first place). Those guys are clearly ahead IMO. Add to that fact that Shanny's system is the envy of the league, I think it discredits your point even moreso.

If you switched players, I don't think there is much doubt that TM could do what BA did last year in SF. Now if Aiyuk was on Wash......yeah....his 'efficiency' stats take a serious nosedive.

Having said that, I have no idea what Aiyuk wants in terms of money, but I know this. Washington is the most commonly brought up trade partner and I've scoured some other message boards just to see how their fans are reacting to the possibility of aquiring BA. In general, they don't seem overly interested for several reasons - one being that the player really isn't THAT special - and I agree with that. I believe he's a top 20 receiver, and I won't push it much further than that. Do I want the player back? Yup. Would I pay him (forget about J. Jefferson) AR. St. Brown/Waddle level? Not unless there is some funny money involved.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
BA to the Mile High for Surtain who says no

Yes

lol issue is money and you want to trade for a guy that's gonna want just as much

facts are player for player trades aren't thing, especially in mid July.

That's factually incorrect if you look at his metrics and film.

this is about the player, not just the scheme

We've finally reached the hate him stage of the off season. This fan base is so predictable.
Originally posted by RickyRoma:
I think you are seriously underrating McLaurin/overrating Aiyuk here, given their respective situations. There really isn't any overall discernable difference between the two players individually.

TM is the #1 weapon on a team who weekly will face defenses that are far more concerned about him than they are when facing Aiyuk and the 49ers. Far more concerned. That's primarily why I disregard a ton of these 'advanced' stats, because BA SHOULD be more 'efficient.' BA is at best, #3 (Kittle is arguably the best TE in the game and Aiyuk ain't close to that as far as the WR position goes, and CMC is the main focus because SF is a run-oriented offense in the first place). Those guys are clearly ahead IMO. Add to that fact that Shanny's system is the envy of the league, I think it discredits your point even moreso.

If you switched players, I don't think there is much doubt that TM could do what BA did last year in SF. Now if Aiyuk was on Wash......yeah....his 'efficiency' stats take a serious nosedive.

Having said that, I have no idea what Aiyuk wants in terms of money, but I know this. Washington is the most commonly brought up trade partner and I've scoured some other message boards just to see how their fans are reacting to the possibility of aquiring BA. In general, they don't seem overly interested for several reasons - one being that the player really isn't THAT special - and I agree with that. I believe he's a top 20 receiver, and I won't push it much further than that. Do I want the player back? Yup. Would I pay him (forget about J. Jefferson) AR. St. Brown/Waddle level? Not unless there is some funny money involved.

Terry is a decent WR. There isn't a single thing he does better than BA though. Not one thing. He is absolutely a tier below BA at this point.

BA lead the team in yards and consistently had to do work vs the team's best CB all the same. You act like TM was getting bracketed every game which is simply not true. BA is better blocker, more efficient, better per catch, actually gets YAC had a MUCH better success rate and much better catch %.

Only reason anyone is "soured" over getting BA is because he's the only dude who's been running around requesting a trade and using THEIR teams for leverage to get a deal done. Overall most people want him, they just don't want to trade anything meaningful for him (because fans gonna fan).

Folks use fantasy football to determine worth, which is stupid.

Yes please pay him St Brown $ it's full of "fluff" you talk about scheme making a person what they are…how does that s**t not apply to ASB? They got studs all over and run the snot out of the ball all the same. He gets manufactured touches as well.

Only reason folks don't think BA is "that" special is because he doesn't get force fed 150+ targets a yr. What DOES make him special is what he does with every damn catch. That s**t should matter. It's about the future and he's young, only getting better and we can't keep everyone. He's not gonna get 70 targets a yr once other guys are gone.

as far as TM goes he will be 29 when the season just starts, he's not cheap AND will want a new contract a yr from now after the market exploded. So we get a worse/older WR who doesn't help the money aspect of it either? How the F is that a good deal for this team?? It's because it's not.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 17, 2024 at 5:09 AM ]

What we've really reached is the end of the road to keep and pay just about everyone we have wanted. It was a fun ride. A SB win would have been better but with pending Brock money our free for all is winding down.

if they made him a super fair offer and it's no then tough. Deeb or BA will need to be traded next year. I prefer we keep Diva 2024 but we will see. It was fun playing with what seems unlimited cash but those days are over. Player feelings gonna get hurt.
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:
We've finally reached the hate him stage of the off season. This fan base is so predictable.

Unreal dude. Then we're gonna talk about moving him for a worse/older WR who isn't cheap and will just want a new deal all the same as a great idea 🥴

Folks get all caught up in their feelings, like he's offended them personally lol.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 17, 2024 at 5:09 AM ]
Originally posted by 9erson3:
What we've really reached is the end of the road to keep and pay just about everyone we have wanted. It was a fun ride. A SB win would have been better but with pending Brock money our free for all is winding down.

if they made him a super fair offer and it's no then tough. Deeb or BA will need to be traded next year. I prefer we keep Diva 2024 but we will see. It was fun playing with what seems unlimited cash but those days are over. Player feelings gonna get hurt.

Totally disagree. They just aren't gonna overpay guys that don't need to be overpaid to that point and yes we do have older guys that aren't gonna be in the long-term plans.

Go look at Philly. Both WRs paid a s**t ton. One of the highest paid QBs in the league. Both OTs are paid a f**k ton. Just handed out a massive deal to their LG. One CB has been making a ton. Top 4 paid TE. Just paid a EDGE $50M. Been paying a DT a ton up until now etc etc.

It's all about spreading the cash out, signing guys that you plan to have for a while (and can stay healthy) for restructuring purposes. Folks bring up the Brock deal acting like he's gonna go from 700K to $50M in one yr cap wise, which isn't how it works, especially at QB. Hurts doesn't even hit the $30M cap hit until 2026 (his extension was in 2023).
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 17, 2024 at 5:12 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Terry is a decent WR. There isn't a single thing he does better than BA though. Not one thing. He is absolutely a tier below BA at this point.

BA lead the team in yards and consistently had to do work vs the team's best CB all the same. You act like TM was getting bracketed every game which is simply not true. BA is better blocker, more efficient, better per catch, actually gets YAC had a MUCH better success rate and much better catch %.

Only reason anyone is "soured" over getting BA is because he's the only dude who's been running around requesting a trade and using THEIR teams for leverage to get a deal done. Overall most people want him, they just don't want to trade anything meaningful for him (because fans gonna fan).

Folks use fantasy football to determine worth, which is stupid.

Yes please pay him St Brown $ it's full of "fluff" you talk about scheme making a person what they are…how does that s**t not apply to ASB? They got studs all over and run the snot out of the ball all the same. He gets manufactured touches as well.

Only reason folks don't think BA is "that" special is because he doesn't get force fed 150+ targets a yr. What DOES make him special is what he does with every damn catch. That s**t should matter. It's about the future and he's young, only getting better and we can't keep everyone. He's not gonna get 70 targets a yr once other guys are gone.

as far as TM goes he will be 29 when the season just starts, he's not cheap AND will want a new contract a yr from now after the market exploded. So we get a worse/older WR who doesn't help the money aspect of it and we still have issues with retaining others because of it? How the F is that a good deal for this team?? It's because it's not.

And again, if those two players switched teams, you'd see little to no difference in production from TM on SF. His 'efficiency' stats would increase substatially. There is also zero doubt that you'd see all the metrics and nonsensical 'advanced' stats that point to BA's efficiency plummet if he's in Washington. You think BA is some tier above TM? Fine. I, and from what I read from Washington fans regarding a possible Aiyuk/Commanders connection disagree.

Bottom line is, for me....I wouldn't even want to trade players for the age/contract issues that you mention. I want SF to keep Aiyuk....I don't think he should just be the 'next in line' to get the big pay, when at very best, he's a Tier 2 player for me.
Originally posted by tankle104:

Eh I doubt he will become mediocre but I don't see him becoming an elite threat if he's the main focus of an offense.

hes a really good WR and awesome blocker, which is an awesome asset, but he isn't special. I'd like to see us resign him but if we don't - I don't see it as a major problem. We will either have him for one more year and then tag/trade or we pull off a player trade this year for someone who can immediately help.

outside of Aiyuk getting hurt, it's kinda hard for the niners to lose in this situation.

I think he is special. We're all down on him and rightfully so. We're probably talking about being a mil or two off and he would sign. But I remember at his peak last year catching all sorts of sweet TDs, the blocking down field, the crisp route running...I was like we gotta keep this guy. He is the next 5-6 year plan/weapon on offense. CMC is aging, Deebo is aging and injury prone, Trent Williams is a ticking time bomb for retirement, Kittle will be 31 this year, and Pearsall is an unknown. We gotta keep him...hands down. Give him that extra cash he wants
[ Edited by Silky on Jul 17, 2024 at 5:23 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone