LISTEN: 49ers Snatch Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory →

There are 271 users in the forums

Brandon Aiyuk is a 49er! Pick #25, 2020 NFL Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by RDB4216:
This is a veteran team with plenty of strong leadership in the locker room. I don't think one disgruntled baby is going to rattle them.

I do hope that if Aiyuk decides to hold out, that the 49ers do NOT waive the fines. They set a bad precedent when they waived them for Bosa.

Pays to be an adult and mature man instead of a drama queen baby. I also hope they do NOT waive the fines; this is the reason it's in place to begin with. NFL is filled with entitlement, in particular, diva ass WRs
Originally posted by 49ers808:
This is a veteran team with plenty of strong leadership in the locker room. I don't think one disgruntled baby is going to rattle them.

I do hope that if Aiyuk decides to hold out, that the 49ers do NOT waive the fines. They set a bad precedent when they waived them for Bosa.

Pays to be an adult and mature man instead of a drama queen baby. I also hope they do NOT waive the fines; this is the reason it's in place to begin with. NFL is filled with entitlement, in particular, diva ass WRs

I didn't mind them waiving it because imo Bosa played his hand properly and professionally. Which im sure Lynch and co would agree with 100%. We have ZERO idea what the negotiations were like and never will.

Aiyuk has been a babbling baby on social media and podcasts etc. I would only waive if he signs the extension. If he doesn't show up to camp and then does at the end only to play on the 5th year option I would honor the fines. He really has no leverage.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Supposedly he wanted $28m a yr back around the draft, I'm torn on this situation, on one hand, if he wants $30m a yr, we're offering $26m, just give in on both sides, give him more GTD money, fully GTD, & cash flow over the first 3yrs, while BA takes less APY, now if BA would take less back in April, but now that the market exploded, & he's upped his price, he's acting selfish IMO then, this is getting ridiculous but I'm not gonna worry until week 1 comes if he's not on the field, I wouldn't deal him, if 5 teams are willing to pay him, but not give us proper compensation then keep BA, tag him twice, make his life a living hell then, he won't sit out the entire year, even if he sits out double digit games, his stock goes down, he looks very selfish, if he does sit out 2024 his deal tolls to 2025.

Great post

Players always play the short career card as a reason they need to make so much. Yes their careers are short but when you're making several million per year you're set for life if you invest wisely and don't blow your money. Even at his current salary Aiyuk makes more than most people will earn in a lifetime.
If they can't figure out a compromise before week 1, I see Aiyuk playing this season and then the team allowing him to hit free agency afterwards. This regime has used the franchise tag once in 7 years, for a kicker, and even that was awkward. Lynch appears to try for a "player first" type of organization, and I don't see things getting any uglier and risk upsetting any locker room culture. Player wants more than the team is willing to pay, becomes a free agent. it happens all the time.
What I think the team will do, not what I would do. I could see a tag and trade, but i don't see them having BA play out on the franchise tag, disgruntled. Not their style.
[ Edited by BP13 on Jul 23, 2024 at 7:21 AM ]
Originally posted by BP13:
If they can't figure out a compromise before week 1, I see Aiyuk playing this season and then the team allowing him to hit free agency afterwards. This regime has used the franchise tag once in 7 years, for a kicker, and even that was awkward. Lynch appears to try for a "player first" type of organization, and I don't see things getting any uglier and risk upsetting any locker room culture. Player wants more than the team is willing to pay, becomes a free agent. it happens all the time.
What I think the team will do, not what I would do. I could see a tag and trade, but i don't see them having BA play out on the franchise tag, disgruntled. Not their style.

I think they get a deal done but if not I can't see them letting him walk out the door for nothing but a possible comp pick the following year.

They would find the space to tag him and then trade him for at least something. It obviously wouldn't bring in as much as he would get this year but something is better than nothing.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Supposedly he wanted $28m a yr back around the draft, I'm torn on this situation, on one hand, if he wants $30m a yr, we're offering $26m, just give in on both sides, give him more GTD money, fully GTD, & cash flow over the first 3yrs, while BA takes less APY, now if BA would take less back in April, but now that the market exploded, & he's upped his price, he's acting selfish IMO then, this is getting ridiculous but I'm not gonna worry until week 1 comes if he's not on the field, I wouldn't deal him, if 5 teams are willing to pay him, but not give us proper compensation then keep BA, tag him twice, make his life a living hell then, he won't sit out the entire year, even if he sits out double digit games, his stock goes down, he looks very selfish, if he does sit out 2024 his deal tolls to 2025.

Great post

Players always play the short career card as a reason they need to make so much. Yes their careers are short but when you're making several million per year you're set for life if you invest wisely and don't blow your money. Even at his current salary Aiyuk makes more than most people will earn in a lifetime.

100%. "Gotta do this for my family" is another one of my favorite lines. Give me $5 million for one year, I'd been retired at 28 and be fine. Granted, I'm not buying Bugattis and Richard Mille watches. $28 million /year. Whatever. lol.
[ Edited by Rathof44 on Jul 23, 2024 at 8:05 AM ]
Originally posted by Rathof44:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Great post

100%. "Gotta do this for my family" is another one of my favorite lines. Give me $5 million for one year, I'd been retired at 28 and be fine. Granted, I'm not buying Bugattis and Richard Mille watches. $28 million /year. Whatever. lol.

The other part of this is even if they aren't one of the higher paid players and make $500K or a couple million, that's still good money. If they're out of the league at 30 or 35 years old they still have most of their adult life in front of them. They can find regular jobs and have a nice savings account to start off with. Lot's of ex athletes get PR jobs with some company that just wants to use their name. Radio andTV jobs are another area that some land in.

Nobody ever said that being a pro athlete was supposed to mean you could retire in your 30s and never work again. A lot of these guys have a college degree which is more than many people have.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by BP13:

I think they get a deal done but if not I can't see them letting him walk out the door for nothing but a possible comp pick the following year.

They would find the space to tag him and then trade him for at least something. It obviously wouldn't bring in as much as he would get this year but something is better than nothing.

Zero chance they let him become a FA. No different then what KC did with Sneed this yr.
Just paid the dude and let's move on.
Originally posted by Rathof44:

No OnEz ShOuD MaKE DaT MuCh MoNEz PlAyIn A GaME!!!!!!

Originally posted by Cisco0623:

I didn't mind them waiving it because imo Bosa played his hand properly and professionally. Which im sure Lynch and co would agree with 100%. We have ZERO idea what the negotiations were like and never will.

Aiyuk has been a babbling baby on social media and podcasts etc. I would only waive if he signs the extension. If he doesn't show up to camp and then does at the end only to play on the 5th year option I would honor the fines. He really has no leverage.

Still, it sets a bad example around there. Plus with Bosas rep among the internet, there will definitely be people calling the niners racist or something like that lol.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Just paid the dude and let's move on.

Agree 💯%, and move on. These moves by Aiyuk are negotiating tactics, and signed off by his Agent. Aiyuk isn't going to do something the Agent doesn't approve of. Aiyuk hired his agent for a reason, because he - himself - doesn't want to do it and delegated those decisions to his agent. The agent gets a percentage of Aiyuk's salary - so Aiyuk knows not to do anything that goes against his Agent's negotiation strategy and tactics.

Well Bosa held out too, and was clearly not ready for the start of the season. And that was after saying he diod not need to be the highest paid non-QB, but then held out until he was. So not near to the level of Aiyuk's behavior, but still not what I'd call professional. The other issue would be, since they waived them for Bosa, if they don't for Aiyuk there is a great chance he'll go Kaepernick 2.0 and start screaming racism.

Well Bosa held out too, and was clearly not ready for the start of the season. And that was after saying he diod not need to be the highest paid non-QB, but then held out until he was. So not near to the level of Aiyuk's behavior, but still not what I'd call professional. The other issue would be, since they waived them for Bosa, if they don't for Aiyuk there is a great chance he'll go Kaepernick 2.0 and start screaming racism.

It's all the same stuff, a holdout is a hold out.

There's an article on the front page that says the patriots offered us a first round pick during the draft, pick number 24. If they didn't want him he would be a patriot. He will get his bag just like Bosa did.
Share 49ersWebzone