There are 294 users in the forums

Brandon Aiyuk is a 49er! Pick #25, 2020 NFL Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by All22:
No WR is worth that percentage of the cap.

None of these teams blowing out the cap for WRs are even close to being contenders.

That money is better spent elsewhere.

Eagles? I'd say the dolphins are up there. Lions and St Brown?

so the Bengals shouldn't give Chase and extension?

imo if you don't have a mahomes level QB you need stud playmakers.
We will know something is up if BA isn't at TC.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

None of these teams blowing out the cap for WRs are even close to being contenders.

Can or should the Bengals pay Chase? Would they be better off paying Higgins and trading chase for a load? I think your last point is correct, that if you dont have a top tier QB the team needs talent around that person. The Bengal's have a top3 QB when he's healthy. But the Dolphins are screwed because they are paying Tua and the WRs, whereas the Chiefs moved off of Hill for this same reason. I know one thing, the 49ers cannot tie up the portion of their cap that will be tied up if they pay BA and then keep Deebo after the year. This is untenable, especially for a run first team. I'm not saying dont have BA, but I would not overpay because he has very little leverage.
We will know something is up if BA isn't at TC.

Welp there ya go lol

• All22
  • Veteran

The Eagles are trash until proven otherwise.

Miami is good and Hill put up a GOAT-level season last year so it's semi-understandable… but the team that elected NOT to pay him won the SuperBowl twice without him.

If you don't have a Mahomes-level QB then you need a top notch defense. Stud playmakers don't move the needle without a top level QB (see Tampa before and after Brady, NO after Brees, The Rams with Goff, ATL after Kyle left etc)

Detroit is only paying that because that city would burn to the ground if they let go of one of their stars after their first playoff appearance. Goff and Amon-Ra have more leverage than God with that team.
[ Edited by All22 on Jul 31, 2024 at 11:05 AM ]
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SD49er:

Can or should the Bengals pay Chase? Would they be better off paying Higgins and trading chase for a load? I think your last point is correct, that if you dont have a top tier QB the team needs talent around that person. The Bengal's have a top3 QB when he's healthy. But the Dolphins are screwed because they are paying Tua and the WRs, whereas the Chiefs moved off of Hill for this same reason. I know one thing, the 49ers cannot tie up the portion of their cap that will be tied up if they pay BA and then keep Deebo after the year. This is untenable, especially for a run first team. I'm not saying dont have BA, but I would not overpay because he has very little leverage.

Not just that but BA isn't even close to the level of a Chase or Hill so it's an even worse decision to pay him that much
Originally posted by tankle104:
You realize they paid JJ like 60% more guaranteed cash than anyone else at the position had ever got at that point? Hes good but he isn't that good where you go way above like that, IMO. Honestly, I don't think there is anyway to look at it where that was a good deal. It's still like $6-7M higher than anyone else APY and way higher guaranteed than anyone at the position has ever got. lol good for him but it's an odd contract. My only guess is that they went that high cause they locked him down for such a long time and paid him more to make him comfy with that long of a deal.

the $42M isn't bad - I'm saying idk if the team can carry $42M over a 2 year period like that while resigning Eveyone we need to. On an extension, we could spread that $42M out over 5 years etc - you can't do that on the tag and fifth year option.

BA stands to make the most money possible but not signing an extension with us but it's a major risk for him health wise. It's a balance of security and maximizing financial gain - someone will pay him $30M+ next year if we allowed him to hit free agency.

We will NOT let him hit FA. We will tag him and do this dance all over again next offseason so that's the reality he's gonna be dealing with. The ONLY way we don't tag him if IF he's critically injured to the point his ability to perform in 2025 is in doubt and that would be bad for him
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Wooh. Looks like progress

Miami is good and Hill put up a GOAT-level season last year so it's semi-understandable… but the team that elected NOT to pay him won the SuperBowl twice without him.

If you don't have a Mahomes-level QB then you need a top notch defense. Stud playmakers don't move the needle without a top level QB (see Tampa before and after Brady, NO after Brees, The Rams with Goff, ATL after Kyle left etc)

Detroit is only paying that because that city would burn to the ground if they let go of one of their stars after their first playoff appearance. Goff and Amon-Ra have more leverage than God with that team.

Why are they trash? Just went to a SB and we were fighting with them all season for that 1 seed. Put the fandom to the side there. They certainly don't suck.

Wait so Goff is good now in DET or he's not? IMO he played well in LA got them to a SB and is still playing well in DET. Got all kinds of talent around him WHICH clearly helps everyone.

Again unless you have a Mahomes level QB then you need some sort of help as far as playmakers go. I mean I guess you think Rice wasn't worth it?

you're other examples don't hold water…no s**t teams weren't as good when they lost first ballot HOFer QBs. No one is saying don't pay the QB, pay everyone else…acting like guys like Chase, JJ, Deebo, AJ Brown etc aren't worth it is silly.

for sure having a good defense helps…this is an offensive league though.

Just give him the $30 Million because if you look at it it's not really $30 Million because he still has that 5th year option where he is making $14 Million. So really it would be like $27 Million. Say you give him a 4 year deal worth $120 Million. Really it's then a 5 year deal worth $134 Million. He shouldn't be paid as much as AJ Brown but he should be paid more than Waddle and equal to Amor St Brown.

I don't think the plan was to keep Deebo and BA past this year. Move off the older more injured guy. Trade him next year.

Also I don't think it's super crazy to have both guys either…go look at Philly and all the people they're paying including the QB. They're a run first team all the same.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Just give him the $30 Million because if you look at it it's not really $30 Million because he still has that 5th year option where he is making $14 Million. So really it would be like $27 Million. Say you give him a 4 year deal worth $120 Million. Really it's then a 5 year deal worth $134 Million. He shouldn't be paid as much as AJ Brown but he should be paid more than Waddle and equal to Amor St Brown.

Bingo. IMO the Moore deal is what he should be making. Toss in some crazy cap hit void yr to fluff up his APY. We all know he won't get that number and by that point there will either be another extension (like AJ brown did) or he will be let go before they ever get to that number. It's the same thing St Brown/Hill/Adams did with their deals.

Not just that but BA isn't even close to the level of a Chase or Hill so it's an even worse decision to pay him that much

How do you know this?

What would he be if he had the same amount of targets that those guys get?
  • All22
  • Veteran

Why are they trash? Just went to a SB and we were fighting with them all season for that 1 seed. Put the fandom to the side there. They certainly don't suck.

Wait so Goff is good now in DET or he's not? IMO he played well in LA got them to a SB and is still playing well in DET. Got all kinds of talent around him WHICH clearly helps everyone.

Again unless you have a Mahomes level QB then you need some sort of help as far as playmakers go. I mean I guess you think Rice wasn't worth it?

you're other examples don't hold water…no s**t teams weren't as good when they lost first ballot HOFer QBs. No one is saying don't pay the QB, pay everyone else…acting like guys like Chase, JJ, Deebo, AJ Brown etc aren't worth it is silly.

for sure having a good defense helps…this is an offensive league though.

Slow down. I'm not talking about every WR ever.
I'm specifically referring to the overheated WR market RIGHT NOW.

The top 3 WR cap hits this season will be Hill, Kupp, and Deebo.... three guys who flirted with 2000 yards (total) and like 15 TDs. HOF-level talents in their prime.

Paying a 1000-1300 yard guy even MORE money because the NFC North is slinging around absurd contracts to keep their own guys (not even to acquire a new player and get better) is just buying at the height of the bubble.
[ Edited by All22 on Jul 31, 2024 at 1:14 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone