There are 230 users in the forums

Brandon Aiyuk is a 49er! Pick #25, 2020 NFL Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm so tired of these contract issues being the focus. The money has gotten so huge that players seem to have forgotten why they started playing in the first place. Let's get back to the playing field instead of the negotiating table.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by goatroppolo:
anyone know if this is a credible source?

It's bs. Mike Silver and Adam Schefter have both said in recent days that there's been no progress made between the Niners and BA's camp.

It might take a while, It might take another big WR deal or two on another team before Aiyuk's deal is done.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I'm so tired of these contract issues being the focus. The money has gotten so huge that players seem to have forgotten why they started playing in the first place. Let's get back to the playing field instead of the negotiating table.

I am not a fan of the pay, either. But they don't just play for you, me, or the team, they play for themselves and their families. Thus, they play to win the game, but they also play to get paid.
Originally posted by fropwns:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I am not a fan of the pay, either. But they don't just play for you, me, or the team, they play for themselves and their families. Thus, they play to win the game, but they also play to get paid.

Yes but the money is now so high that it is becoming more important than the game. If it was improving the game then I wouldn't care but it's not. Sometimes it works in reverse. Players get paid so much that they become complacent. I've never seen a correlation that shows more money equals better performance.

The owners can make adjustments to the CBA in regards to players already under contract and the penalties they will accrue for not showing up to required training sessions. With Aiyuk being under contract and not traded yet he should be at work earning his contract while still negotiating an extension or trade is my opinion
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

The owners can make adjustments to the CBA in regards to players already under contract and the penalties they will accrue for not showing up to required training sessions. With Aiyuk being under contract and not traded yet he should be at work earning his contract while still negotiating an extension or trade is my opinion

I mentioned before that I think there should be some type of injury guarantee if a player gets injured why being in training camp or preseason. The player is covered making it possible to participate in camp without having fear they don't get paid if some unfortunate incident ends their career. The team and agent could negotiate that amount. I.E. based on a 28 mil contract (26 to 30 mil range) what they are negotiating, they get 2 years of salary. If some horrendous event happens the player would get 2 year 56 million settlement. The team would not lose the salary cap space in this case only.

Fixed
I wish I could just show up to work and not do anything until they start paying me more, all the while still getting paid my current salary
Originally posted by 9ers4u:
I wish I could just show up to work and not do anything until they start paying me more, all the while still getting paid my current salary
Nothing is stopping you
Originally posted by bassmanr:

I mentioned before that I think there should be some type of injury guarantee if a player gets injured why being in training camp or preseason. The player is covered making it possible to participate in camp without having fear they don't get paid if some unfortunate incident ends their career. The team and agent could negotiate that amount. I.E. based on a 28 mil contract (26 to 30 mil range) what they are negotiating, they get 2 years of salary. If some horrendous event happens the player would get 2 year 56 million settlement. The team would not lose the salary cap space in this case only.

Fixed
The already have that in their contract
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Fixed

Not in their new salary range which is why they hold out. if BA was injured he would get a settlement based on his rookie contract. The settlement could be negotiated based on the two sides. Niners are at 26 mil Ayuik is at 30 mil = 28 mil. This would be a way to protect the player and the team as they work the contract out. If they can't reach a contract agreement then the player plays out his contract and is FA/ tagged after the season. They can choose to hold out the season but that does not help them at all. If the Agent says we want 80 mil to increase the guarantee amount then the team backs out.

Nothing is stopping you

Of course there is. Any place else you will certainly be fired, and hurt your prospects for getting a new job. Even in an organized union strike, you don't continue to get paid.

I've heard the league wants to close this "hold in" loophole, but I don't know how they can write that rule to differentiate it from nebulous injuries.
[ Edited by BOI49er on Aug 2, 2024 at 12:20 PM ]

Fixed

Not in their new salary range which is why they hold out. if BA was injured he would get a settlement based on his rookie contract. The settlement could be negotiated based on the two sides. Niners are at 26 mil Ayuik is at 30 mil = 28 mil. This would be a way to protect the player and the team as they work the contract out. If they can't reach a contract agreement then the player plays out his contract and is FA/ tagged after the season. They can choose to hold out the season but that does not help them at all. If the Agent says we want 80 mil to increase the guarantee amount then the team backs out.
I'm just posting on guarantees. Settlements is for an injured player that's going to be released. The guarantee is already set if the player stays. It's not much due to the rookie contract but it's still there.

I have no idea what kind of work you do but the fake injury stuff probably won't work for you.

Do you happen to be one of a handful of people in the world that are elite at their job?
Was he missing from practice today?
Share 49ersWebzone