There are 271 users in the forums

Brandon Aiyuk is a 49er! Pick #25, 2020 NFL Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
The 49ers are reluctant to pay Aiyuk what he wants not because they don't value him. they're looking at next year and beyond. They can't have the highest paid player at every key offensive position. Willimas is already one of the highest and wants more. CMC is the highest paidRB. Juice is the highest paid FB. Purdy will probably be the highest paid QB after next year. Bosa is one of the highest paid edge rushers. Both CBs are going to need to be signed next season. What are they going to ask for if Aiyuk and Williams each get big raises?

I love the NFL but I fear that the players greed may kill the goose that lays their golden eggs. I know many fans will say that won't happen but we've seen it happen in many industries before. Workers keep demanding more until there isn't any more to give.

The league is flushed with cash. The owners aren't struggling at all. What BA and TW are doing isn't anything new
Originally posted by lamontb:
The league is flushed with cash. The owners aren't struggling at all. What BA and TW are doing isn't anything new

Maybe TW, but what BA is doing is completely new. Kid went on another level throwing this his public tantrum lol. Openly saying you would play for Steelers and Wash, while under contract, and posting video of another teams plays, yeah totally not new
The problem seems to be that BA wants his bag and wants to only play for a team that he likes. Can't have your cake and eat it too…as they say.
Originally posted by bigpete50:
The problem seems to be that BA wants his bag and wants to only play for a team that he likes. Can't have your cake and eat it too…as they say.

Imagine him not wanting to play for a loaded team on both sides of the scrimmage line.
If Purdy is what they think he is they'll pay him and as such they won't believe they have to pay every offensive star at the top of the league so BA will have to get the type of money he wants with a lesser QB perhaps and then just be happy making cake as Davante Adams did when he left GB
Originally posted by BOI49er:
Why wouldn't we just play Aiyuk at $14.1m? We've got better options later. And we'll know what we've got, e.g. Deebo's health, Ricky and another's performance growth.

While we're all bouncing off the walls, I believe Lynch is doing the right thing. Just sit tight.

We drafted for cheap labor. That was stated. We took the fifth year option for that reason as well so worst case scenario Aiyuk plays at $14M we tag him and do this dance again next offseason

We didn't draft so we can only get three cheap seasons then pay the first rounder top of market before the deal was done UNLESS BA turned out to be JJ
The 49ers are reluctant to pay Aiyuk what he wants not because they don't value him. they're looking at next year and beyond. They can't have the highest paid player at every key offensive position. Willimas is already one of the highest and wants more. CMC is the highest paidRB. Juice is the highest paid FB. Purdy will probably be the highest paid QB after next year. Bosa is one of the highest paid edge rushers. Both CBs are going to need to be signed next season. What are they going to ask for if Aiyuk and Williams each get big raises?

I love the NFL but I fear that the players greed may kill the goose that lays their golden eggs. I know many fans will say that won't happen but we've seen it happen in many industries before. Workers keep demanding more until there isn't any more to give.

You're talking about now. I'm talking about the future. The point is this constant escalation has a limit. Sure the owners have money but they have their limits as well. Same for networks that carry the games . They can't keep paying more and more and that's where a lot of the money comes from. Every industry has limits on spending. At some point the NFL will reach theirs. There may be lockouts over future contract negotiations if owners start asking for a more structured salary scale. I'm not saying it will happen soon and maybe not at all but it's something that's a possibility.

If you don't think it can happen ask all the factory workers that lost good paying union jobs when companies decided they were making too much in salary and benefits. Ask the reporters that got laid off from major newspapers because of cost cutting. Ask the unemployed actors that are not hired as much now because it's cheaper to use unknowns and computer generated effects. That's just 3 industries that were once flying high and have seen major cutbacks. Sports aren't immune.

The thing is they're not gonna have the highest paid players at every position. Kittle and Deebo are both likely gone after this season. Trent isn't here for the long-haul, he just wants more GTD cash. Fred isn't even the highest paid Lber in the league currently. Juice's contract is up after this yr.

I feel like none of you are looking at this long-term and who's actually signed. BA's cap hits don't matter for the next couple yrs, a lot guys will either be gone or have another extension (Warner).

Looking beyond is why they SHOULD sign him. Also greedy? The NFL made $13 BILLION dollars just last yr. The cap is the players money, not the owners. Give it to the good players and everything else should trickle down. Invest in the premium positions.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Aug 5, 2024 at 10:59 AM ]

its at least clear they are willing to trade him, which is just sad at this point. He's your young star he's the one we should be paying

You're talking about now. I'm talking about the future. The point is this constant escalation has a limit. Sure the owners have money but they have their limits as well. Same for networks that carry the games . They can't keep paying more and more and that's where a lot of the money comes from. Every industry has limits on spending. At some point the NFL will reach theirs. There may be lockouts over future contract negotiations if owners start asking for a more structured salary scale. I'm not saying it will happen soon and maybe not at all but it's something that's a possibility.

If you don't think it can happen ask all the factory workers that lost good paying union jobs when companies decided they were making too much in salary and benefits. Ask the reporters that got laid off from major newspapers because of cost cutting. Ask the unemployed actors that are not hired as much now because it's cheaper to use unknowns and computer generated effects. That's just 3 industries that were once flying high and have seen major cutbacks. Sports aren't immune.

The sky isn't falling at all. The NFL is by far the most important thing to network tv. And if they drop the ball the streaming services will be more than happy to pick it up. League revenue was way up. They can keep paying more and more. It's why the salary cap just took a huge jump and why the NFL is getting more and more tv money from every angle. The NFL isn't a dying industry. Comparing this to the newspaper and steel mill workers makes no sense. There isn't anything to push the NFL out of the way like the internet did with newspapers. I'm not sure how unemployed actors not getting work relates to this.
Originally posted by mitpdub:

He's just dying to play with a washed up Russell Wilson and/or Justin Fields. 🤡 nobody gives a crap about winning or being great anymore, just how much 0s are in your bank account.
Originally posted by goatroppolo:
its at least clear they are willing to trade him, which is just sad at this point. He's your young star he's the one we should be paying

they dont want to pay him..messed up
So it wasn't a congratulatory dap
[ Edited by Hysterikal on Aug 5, 2024 at 11:15 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone