There are 130 users in the forums

All Pro OT Trent Williams "Silverback",

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kolohe:
You actually think Kyle would just give up Trent Williams and not have a back up plan? Kyle went from Joe Staley to Trent Williams, he knows whats up!!!

Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Hangman_52:
Trade him. He can not play for someone else even though he is getting paid so damn much. Greedy and old. Maybe we can get 2 OLine worth a s**t for him

Actually, I hope his cap space is freed up for Purdy.

Purdy won't be Purdy behind that OL without Trent. People are crazy tripping on here.

You actually think Kyle would just give up Trent Williams and not have a back up plan? Kyle went from Joe Staley to Trent Williams, he knows whats up!!!

Kyle has had almost zero plan for the Olone for quite some time now. If the 49ers had a solid Oline they would be crazy good.

I read an article by our favorite, Grant Cohn and he's right. That is one of the main reasons they haven't won the big one after continually getting so close.

They can't beat elite defenses. They can't run it down your throat when the defense knows they will run and they can't jump st pass it when the defense knows a pass is coming.

It seems like they always have to have some misdirection and some kind of trickery to move the chains. At least that is the way it seems to me.

I think the 49ers Oline is a weakness and of course so don't want to lose Trent but he's outta his damn mind right now.
Originally posted by ninerfan818:

Trade him. He can not play for someone else even though he is getting paid so damn much. Greedy and old. Maybe we can get 2 OLine worth a s**t for him

Purdy won't be Purdy behind that OL without Trent. People are crazy tripping on here.

Kyle has had almost zero plan for the Olone for quite some time now. If the 49ers had a solid Oline they would be crazy good.

I read an article by our favorite, Grant Cohn and he's right. That is one of the main reasons they haven't won the big one after continually getting so close.

They can't beat elite defenses. They can't run it down your throat when the defense knows they will run and they can't jump st pass it when the defense knows a pass is coming.

It seems like they always have to have some misdirection and some kind of trickery to move the chains. At least that is the way it seems to me.

I think the 49ers Oline is a weakness and of course so don't want to lose Trent but he's outta his damn mind right now.
This post is full of crap lol

in no way would this be the same team if they used all their assets to pick high in the draft for OL. We would have no skill players and the stupid narrative would change from OL to skill players
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

in no way would this be the same team if they used all their assets to pick high in the draft for OL. We would have no skill players and the stupid narrative would change from OL to skill players

No one said they wouild have had to use all their assets on the OL, or that it had to be high picks. But the 49ers have seemed to be locked into a certain type of o-lineman, and won't even look at some that are not perceived to be an ideal scheme fit. Even if that means passing up on more talented players. Just based on players that I liked and picks I wanted us to make, along with some moves we could have easily made - my starting line would have been: Trent Williams (trade) - Trey Smith (6th round pick!) - Landon Dickerson (2nd round) - Robert Hunt (2nd round) - Jordan Mailata (7th round!). Who can argue that isn't massivley better than what we have now? What players would we have lost out on? Jaylon Moore, Aaron Banks (Good player, but Dickerson is better), Trey Sermon (LOL), Julian Taylor, and basically Javon Kinlaw. The move I really wanted us to make that year when Tristan Wirfs was there, would have been trading Mcglinchy while we were on the clock. We could have walked out of there with Wirfs and Robert Hunt, instead of Mcglinchy and Kinlaw.

So yeah, when it comes to drafting GOOD o-linemen, I think the 49ers have missed a lot of easy ones because they were too dead set on zone scheme fit.
Originally posted by RDB4216:
No one said they wouild have had to use all their assets on the OL, or that it had to be high picks. But the 49ers have seemed to be locked into a certain type of o-lineman, and won't even look at some that are not perceived to be an ideal scheme fit. Even if that means passing up on more talented players. Just based on players that I liked and picks I wanted us to make, along with some moves we could have easily made - my starting line would have been: Trent Williams (trade) - Trey Smith (6th round pick!) - Landon Dickerson (2nd round) - Robert Hunt (2nd round) - Jordan Mailata (7th round!). Who can argue that isn't massivley better than what we have now? What players would we have lost out on? Jaylon Moore, Aaron Banks (Good player, but Dickerson is better), Trey Sermon (LOL), Julian Taylor, and basically Javon Kinlaw. The move I really wanted us to make that year when Tristan Wirfs was there, would have been trading Mcglinchy while we were on the clock. We could have walked out of there with Wirfs and Robert Hunt, instead of Mcglinchy and Kinlaw.

So yeah, when it comes to drafting GOOD o-linemen, I think the 49ers have missed a lot of easy ones because they were too dead set on zone scheme fit.

Yeah but you are forgetting that all these players you will have to pay. All those Olinemen you mentioned are making over $20 Million per season or will soon to be up for an extension to make over $20 Million. So you would have an Oline taking up almost half of your total cap. Which means you are not having many star players elsewhere.Right now the Niners are paying Trent like $23 Million per season on average and the next highest guy is Mckivitz making $7 Million. And this team is still as of right now about $40 Million over the cap in 2025. So imagine you were paying 4 guys on the Oline $20+ Million and a 5th guy due for an extension next season to make over $20 Million? So you definetely wouldn't have the amount of star players at the other positions.
[ Edited by JTB1974 on Jul 25, 2024 at 1:26 AM ]
Originally posted by JTB1974:

Yeah but you are forgetting that all these players you will have to pay. All those Olinemen you mentioned are making over $20 Million per season or will soon to be up for an extension to make over $20 Million. So you would have an Oline taking up almost half of your total cap. Which means you are not having many star players elsewhere.Right now the Niners are paying Trent like $23 Million per season on average and the next highest guy is Mckivitz making $7 Million. And this team is still as of right now about $40 Million over the cap in 2025. So imagine you were paying 4 guys on the Oline $20+ Million and a 5th guy due for an extension next season to make over $20 Million? So you definetely wouldn't have the amount of star players at the other positions.

6th and 7th round players don't start off making $20 million on rookie contracts. The point is about drafting better talent over scheme fit. It's not just these particular players I've liked in the past. Last year I liked Dawand Jones, he went in the 4th. He would blow open holes in the run game to the right side, and not force all of our big runs to be telegraphed behind Trent. 49ers probably didn't even look at him because of his athletic scores. Although he DOES have the speed to get to the second level, he will struggle sometimes. To me better talent + ok scheme fit > perfect scheme fit.
[ Edited by RDB4216 on Jul 25, 2024 at 2:21 AM ]
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Tbh this is dick move. And exactly why we should have drafted o-line early and often.

Amen, we now don't have a choice but to pay him and not go in another direction. TW is probably one of the best OL we have ever had but he is getting older. We should have been drafting earlier so if this crap comes up at this time in his career we have some leverage. If we don't sign TW we are toast and he knows it.

100% and bit disappointing from a vet who's made his haul and still "wants" a championship. (and imo had a bad SB, especially by his own standards).
I think Williams is being selfish holding out for another contract.
Pay the man. it's not his fault the FO doesn't draft any legit tackles leaving him with all the leverage.
Originally posted by braap49er:
I think Williams is being selfish holding out for another contract.

Eh, he's getting old and wants guaranteed money for security. He's still playing at a high level so I don't think he's asking too much at least I hope not...
Two stars holding out is not the ideal start for a team that is built to win now… too much noise and lost focus. It just feels like a bad way to start the season. I really hope they resolve the issues and restore the focus back to winning…

Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
Two stars holding out is not the ideal start for a team that is built to win now… too much noise and lost focus. It just feels like a bad way to start the season. I really hope they resolve the issues and restore the focus back to winning…

The contract is the real trophy for 95% of players in todays game.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:

The contract is the real trophy for 95% of players in todays game.
100% correct. It's frustrating for fans buts it's the reality. It's business for the team and it's about long term financial security for the players and families. As fans we have nothing real at stake… just want our team to win.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

They can't beat elite defenses WTF you loss all credibility in your post right there. Grant Cohn is a f**kin moron. For one Chris Jones is a monster, there's a reason he's the number DT in the NFL. It's not like the 49ers could have their best Guard in Aaron Banks follow him around all game, it doesn't work like that. And no team has All-pro's or top 5 O-lineman across their line up and the teams in the NFC that do have better O-lines than the 49ers didn't do s**t. You could argue that Philly's O-line last season was far better than the 9ers and they got owned in the second half of the season, but was that all on the O-line? If your answer is no, then you know for a fact that it takes more than having just a good O-line to do anything.

If I have to critique the 49ers O-line, it would be that the 49ers have an average Center. All good O-lines have a great Center, look at KC's Center Creed Humphrey he's one of the best players on that O-line, him and Joe Thuney. The rest of KC's O-line is meh besides those two. You could even argue that Philly's O-line is better than KC's.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

I agree with this take they reached for Kinlaw due to the loss of Buckner and passed on Wirfs. This was crazy when it happened. We over value what we do on the D line and Kyle keeps thinking we can scheme around a bad O line.
Let's just put piles of money on the field and see which team has the biggest pile. I'm so tired of these guys wanting more and more. The game isn't getting better because of these higher salaries. Everyone seems to think their ability is tied directly to how much they're paid. I guess they can just put the highest paid guys in the HOF in the future.
Share 49ersWebzone