There are 112 users in the forums

All Pro OT Trent Williams "Silverback",

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by RDB4216:
No one said they wouild have had to use all their assets on the OL, or that it had to be high picks. But the 49ers have seemed to be locked into a certain type of o-lineman, and won't even look at some that are not perceived to be an ideal scheme fit. Even if that means passing up on more talented players. Just based on players that I liked and picks I wanted us to make, along with some moves we could have easily made - my starting line would have been: Trent Williams (trade) - Trey Smith (6th round pick!) - Landon Dickerson (2nd round) - Robert Hunt (2nd round) - Jordan Mailata (7th round!). Who can argue that isn't massivley better than what we have now? What players would we have lost out on? Jaylon Moore, Aaron Banks (Good player, but Dickerson is better), Trey Sermon (LOL), Julian Taylor, and basically Javon Kinlaw. The move I really wanted us to make that year when Tristan Wirfs was there, would have been trading Mcglinchy while we were on the clock. We could have walked out of there with Wirfs and Robert Hunt, instead of Mcglinchy and Kinlaw.

So yeah, when it comes to drafting GOOD o-linemen, I think the 49ers have missed a lot of easy ones because they were too dead set on zone scheme fit.
that is all hindsight and use of assets (trade)

Trey - Would lose out on Mitchell who was great before injuries
Dickerson - No chance to draft him unless we trade up (assets)
Hunt - Would lose Aiyuk
Mailata - Possible pick.. but we were also in rebuilding mode

6th and 7th round players don't start off making $20 million on rookie contracts. The point is about drafting better talent over scheme fit. It's not just these particular players I've liked in the past. Last year I liked Dawand Jones, he went in the 4th. He would blow open holes in the run game to the right side, and not force all of our big runs to be telegraphed behind Trent. 49ers probably didn't even look at him because of his athletic scores. Although he DOES have the speed to get to the second level, he will struggle sometimes. To me better talent + ok scheme fit > perfect scheme fit.
while 6th/7th round pick don't make that much in the beginning, they will cost you more later on if they turn into great players.

We didn't even have a 4th round pick to get D Jones unless we trade up (assets)

I'm not saying we don't need to upgrade, but we are not at a total loss at OL. Almost every position is set, so we can focus on more OL in the future (as we should)

No, none of it was hindsight. As I said, all were picks and moves I thought we should make "at the time". And I accounted for the assets we would have lost out on, including trades - and that did not include losing Aiyuk. And no we didn't have a 4th last year. I would have taken Jones at the end of the 3rd instead of Latu. The point is, the 49ers pass on quality linemen based on perceived lack of scheme fit. I'd rather draft someone that may struggle to get to the second level sometimes, but can bulldoze a defender into the dirt - than someone who can get downfield, but struggles everywhere else.

Bny your "logic" of later picks costing more later if they turn into great players, then we should just NEVER draft great players because they will "cost more later on". Man, we REALLY screwed up on drafting Brock Purdy then - because he's about to cost a whole lot pretty soon!!
It is all hind sight or all of those OL would have been picked earlier by different teams. OL are crap shoots after the first 15 picks. No way you should draft OL high over skill, when you have free agency as an option also

also, there is not one person who will say we're screwed for paying a top QB picked in the 7th than overpaying above average OL picked in the 7th

You might want to look up the word "hindsight". And your exact quote was "while 6th/7th round pick don't make that much in the beginning, they will cost you more later on if they turn into great players." Purdy was a 7th round pick, in case you forgot.
Regardless of all the other noise, as it stands today, the Niners have no choice but to pay TW. NONE. Shrewd move!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by maximusdecimus:
TW knows he's the most important guy on this team. If TW holds out the 49ers are dead in the water. If TW retires the 49ers season is over before it even starts. He has the team over a barrel and they have no choice but to pay him what he wants. Get your last bag my friend. Well played.

I'm confident they will pay him. It helps free up cap space for Aiyuk this year, and possibly Purdy next year.

Trent is critical to the pass game because he is the guy that protects Purdy's blindside. Without Trent, Purdy's not going to survive the season.
[ Edited by Giedi on Jul 26, 2024 at 8:19 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by bassmanr:
I agree with this take they reached for Kinlaw due to the loss of Buckner and passed on Wirfs. This was crazy when it happened. We over value what we do on the D line and Kyle keeps thinking we can scheme around a bad O line.

To a certain extent you can scheme around a weak offensive line. I don't recommend it of course. What you can't do is scheme around a defensive weakness. To a certain extent the 49er defense has been weak at the DB squads - and that's been where Patrick has killed us in the big game.

I'd like the 49er OLine to really get bigger and more athletic. They are, because I really like the Puni and Kingston Picks. Bigger (Puni) and very athletic (Kingston) and they devoted two draft picks to the OLIne this year.
For Bass: We had no chance at Wirfs

you can't scheme around a weak OL. Our OL has faced the best of best DLs and only gave up 2 half (0.5) sacks to a DB and DE (not CJ) which adds up to 1 total sack.

Our OL isn't the best, but def not weak

If the entire OLine squad is weak, you can't scheme around an entire squad. But if only one link is weak - like the right guard - to a certain extent you can scheme by (for example) running left instead of running right.
Regardless of all the other noise, as it stands today, the Niners have no choice but to pay TW. NONE. Shrewd move!

FACTS
TW knows he's the most important guy on this team. If TW holds out the 49ers are dead in the water. If TW retires the 49ers season is over before it even starts. He has the team over a barrel and they have no choice but to pay him what he wants. Get your last bag my friend. Well played.

I'm confident they will pay him. It helps free up cap space for Aiyuk this year, and possibly Purdy next year.

Trent is critical to the pass game because he is the guy that protects Purdy's blindside. Without Trent, Purdy's not going to survive the season.

I am sure it will get done, I think the only sticking point will be number of years. He has two years left on his deal, if they add two more years with guaranteed money - how confident is the team that he will actually play until he's 40? He did already talk about retirement once, and I think that is what could be slowing this from getting done.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
We traded wth Tampa to give them the pick we acquired from the colts for Buckner and picked Wirfs if I remember correctly. The next pick was Kinlaw.

I disagree with the line not being weak, there are worse O lines however if you watch the games we lost with dominate Dline and DCs we all see it. Ravens, Browns and all the playoffs. The DCs are calling blitzes on the right side to bat balls in the air. Purdy is short and needs more time without the right side collapsing. Purdy is our next FQB so we need help on our line.

Kyle's offensive lines (specially the interior) are traditionally more agile than strong. His system is predicated on very athletic offensive linemen that can move to work the outside zone runs. So the run fake play is so important because agile linemen can execute the fire out blocks and retreat into a pass protection set, and it wrong foots the defensive line. However that has limits, specially against similarly athletic defensive lines that you see in the playoffs. Equally athletic defensive linemen (that you see in the playoffs) can basically beat Kyle's OLineman in Kyle's run fake pass sets. Chris JOnes is one hell of an athletic DLineman that can out-athlete any one of Kyle's OLinemen. Spagnulo smartly put him face up on Burford, Kyle's weakest lineman (after Feliciano went down).
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
It is all hind sight or all of those OL would have been picked earlier by different teams. OL are crap shoots after the first 15 picks. No way you should draft OL high over skill, when you have free agency as an option also

also, there is not one person who will say we're screwed for paying a top QB picked in the 7th than overpaying above average OL picked in the 7th

Agree that all draft picks have uncertainty and free agency definitely is an avenue to get talent. Trent Williams is an example of that. I think it's important that the team does draft offensive linemen so they can develop them. Free agency is expensive. Trent took a ton of cap space when he was signed by ShanaLynch. Point being, if you get a *hit* like a Purdy/Kittle/Mitchell - it saves *so much cap space* for critical free agency acquisitions for a weak squad that needs a talent infusion. Second, now that you have Purdy - you don't want his career shortened like Andrew Luck. Andrew's OLines were terrible.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I am sure it will get done, I think the only sticking point will be number of years. He has two years left on his deal, if they add two more years with guaranteed money - how confident is the team that he will actually play until he's 40? He did already talk about retirement once, and I think that is what could be slowing this from getting done.

ONe way to deal with Trent Retiring early, is simply not allowing him to retire. Dee Ford hasn't played the last couple of years of his contract. (Degenerative Knee injury) they kept him on the payroll for those two years - despite him on PUP (or whatever) and extended his contract and reduced the dead money by half because of that two year contract extention. They probably can do something like that with Trent. I.e. keep him on the team in some capacity (even though he's retired) to spread that dead cap hit over a couple of years instead of it hitting all on his retirement year.
I agree with this take they reached for Kinlaw due to the loss of Buckner and passed on Wirfs. This was crazy when it happened. We over value what we do on the D line and Kyle keeps thinking we can scheme around a bad O line.

To a certain extent you can scheme around a weak offensive line. I don't recommend it of course. What you can't do is scheme around a defensive weakness. To a certain extent the 49er defense has been weak at the DB squads - and that's been where Patrick has killed us in the big game.

I'd like the 49er OLine to really get bigger and more athletic. They are, because I really like the Puni and Kingston Picks. Bigger (Puni) and very athletic (Kingston) and they devoted two draft picks to the OLIne this year.
For Bass: We had no chance at Wirfs

you can't scheme around a weak OL. Our OL has faced the best of best DLs and only gave up 2 half (0.5) sacks to a DB and DE (not CJ) which adds up to 1 total sack.

Our OL isn't the best, but def not weak

If the entire OLine squad is weak, you can't scheme around an entire squad. But if only one link is weak - like the right guard - to a certain extent you can scheme by (for example) running left instead of running right.
Some people just need to chill. We are a solid RG away from being a better total OL than the line we just had that helped get to a SB

the sky isn't falling
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Jul 26, 2024 at 2:45 PM ]

TW will be getting his $$$ soon, the FO is probably just making the new/rewritten contract language to help the team's cap and finance plans the best way possible
Any insight into what Trent is agitating for? I thought we were already paying him a princely sum?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by joeknows:
Any insight into what Trent is agitating for? I thought we were already paying him a princely sum?

He has no more guaranteed money on his contract.
This deal will get done. Helps him and helps the team.
We traded wth Tampa to give them the pick we acquired from the colts for Buckner and picked Wirfs if I remember correctly. The next pick was Kinlaw.

I disagree with the line not being weak, there are worse O lines however if you watch the games we lost with dominate Dline and DCs we all see it. Ravens, Browns and all the playoffs. The DCs are calling blitzes on the right side to bat balls in the air. Purdy is short and needs more time without the right side collapsing. Purdy is our next FQB so we need help on our line.

Kyle's offensive lines (specially the interior) are traditionally more agile than strong. His system is predicated on very athletic offensive linemen that can move to work the outside zone runs. So the run fake play is so important because agile linemen can execute the fire out blocks and retreat into a pass protection set, and it wrong foots the defensive line. However that has limits, specially against similarly athletic defensive lines that you see in the playoffs. Equally athletic defensive linemen (that you see in the playoffs) can basically beat Kyle's OLineman in Kyle's run fake pass sets. Chris JOnes is one hell of an athletic DLineman that can out-athlete any one of Kyle's OLinemen. Spagnulo smartly put him face up on Burford, Kyle's weakest lineman (after Feliciano went down).

Good post!! This sums up the issue at the oline. Hopefully that will change sometime but could be why we can't win it all.
Share 49ersWebzone