LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 174 users in the forums

All Pro OT Trent Williams "Silverback",

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Originally posted by TD49ers:
KC was an average to a terrible since I can remember until they got Mahomes.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by tankle104:
KC has been good in the later rounds and UDFA like we have. They've had some big time hits at corner and then having a monster like Chris jones helps. Then they hit on the cheetah. As well as HOF players like mahommes and Kelce.

no team is perfect at drafting and most are horrible. If you look at every teams drafts over the last five years - most are horrific

Kelce was drafted in 2013… That was back when we took Vance McDonald over him lolz. We're going back over 10 yrs now?

Only reason Hill dropped is because he likes to beat women and Reid doesn't care about that stuff.

my point was basically saying what you're alluding to. No team is perfect. KC the "golden child" has had plenty of misses all the same.

KC was an average to terrible since I can remember until they got Mahomes.

That sounds good except for the fact Alex Smith led the Chiefs to the playoffs 4 straight years before Mahomes took over the team

Big deal. They were never contenders.

Your definition of "average to terrible" probably needs to be revisited

You appear to see teams as SB Contenders or losers with no in between

Go look. They did win a playoff game in like 4 decades until Andy showed up.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
KC has been good in the later rounds and UDFA like we have. They've had some big time hits at corner and then having a monster like Chris jones helps. Then they hit on the cheetah. As well as HOF players like mahommes and Kelce.

no team is perfect at drafting and most are horrible. If you look at every teams drafts over the last five years - most are horrific

Kelce was drafted in 2013… That was back when we took Vance McDonald over him lolz. We're going back over 10 yrs now?

Only reason Hill dropped is because he likes to beat women and Reid doesn't care about that stuff.

my point was basically saying what you're alluding to. No team is perfect. KC the "golden child" has had plenty of misses all the same.

That sounds good except for the fact Alex Smith led the Chiefs to the playoffs 4 straight years before Mahomes took over the team

Alex had some of the best years of his life there. So they had a lot of talent and coaching around him. In particular Tyreek Hill. He would go deep to Hill sometimes over the top. It was weird watching Alex do that. Because with us I didn't know he could throw more than 15 yards.....
Best years lol, he couldn't throw and it's not why he was gone. He was the weak link as always

Kansas City Chiefs

Alex Smith.....4,042 yards (career high).....26 TD's (career high).....5 interceptions (very low).....104.7 rating (career high)

Yeah what I said.

You know that counters your original argument right?

The Chiefs were a dumpster fire then Alex Smith and Andy Reid took them to the playoffs 4 straight years.
They managed* to win 2 playoff games during that run before Mahomes showed up

They had a talented team mostly from drafting...Mahomes put them over the top

I'm not sure what your are trying to tell me at this point
[ Edited by Tigerlaw on Sep 4, 2024 at 4:56 PM ]

Alex had some of the best years of his life there. So they had a lot of talent and coaching around him. In particular Tyreek Hill. He would go deep to Hill sometimes over the top. It was weird watching Alex do that. Because with us I didn't know he could throw more than 15 yards.....
Best years lol, he couldn't throw and it's not why he was gone. He was the weak link as always

Kansas City Chiefs

Alex Smith.....4,042 yards (career high).....26 TD's (career high).....5 interceptions (very low).....104.7 rating (career high)

Yeah what I said.

Ok cool. Sounds like we've established the ability to see relative value 👍🏻. Now, let us apply that line of thinking to our current niners squad
[ Edited by 5thSFG on Sep 4, 2024 at 4:58 PM ]

Kansas City Chiefs

Yeah what I said.

Too bad that doesn't show what happened in the games

Kansas City Chiefs

Yeah what I said.

It does actually. Alex with the talent around him there and Andy Reid coaching had the best times of his career. They were ascending and improving. Mahomes put them over the top.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Sep 4, 2024 at 5:00 PM ]

You know that counters your original argument right?

The Chiefs were a dumpster fire then Alex Smith and Andy Reid took them to the playoffs 4 straight years.
They managed* to win 2 playoff games during that run before Mahomes showed up

They had a talented team mostly from drafting...Mahomes put them over the top

I'm not sure what your are trying to tell me at this point

This convo is about drafting players. The point was KC has only recently become successful, previously they had decades of poor drafting and terrible teams.

Kansas City Chiefs

Yeah what I said.

It does actually. Alex with the talent around him there and Andy Reid coaching had the best times of his career. They were ascending and improving. Mahomes put them over the top.
It doesn't, he never pushed the ball down field and was worst on 3rd downs. He was so bad on 3rd downs that he avg close to 4 yard passes behind the LOS. Don't get me started
This convo is about drafting players. The point was KC has only recently become successful, previously they had decades of poor drafting and terrible teams.

I can agree with this statement.

I chimed in because you said they were terrible until Mahomes...that I disagree with

Drafted players on their SB team not counting Mahomes
HOF caliber players
-TE Kelce
-WR Hill
-DT Jones

Good/Elite players
-OT Fisher
-DE Ford (before his back injuries he was a menace)
-RB Hunt
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Hard to compare such different eras for sure.

I saw Belicheck on mcafee show say the biggest challenge was keeping a great roster because of the cap and that's what caught up to them in the end but believes he was able to sustain it very long because of having Brady and being fortunate with very good drafts through most of his tenure.

the funny thing is being punished for drafting so well. Our fo finds gems and they develop wonderfully but now we can't afford to keep them etc.

The way you beat cap hell is to draft well. It's that simple. Case in point, Brock Purdy and his rookie salary. It's when you don't draft well (Rams example) is where you get into cap hell. The Rams had to acquire very expensive free agents that blew up their cap after the Superbowl (just like the '94 Niners).

Agreed but it's easier said than done.

Also Belicheck mentioned he only did contacts withojt void years etc. You get what you get and he would include incentives for more money based on hitting performance markers etc.

He actually brought us up using void years. He said that can work, but eventually it catches up to you because something you didn't expect happens or doesn't workout etc so he didn't like doing that. But as we both alluded to. With the salary cap era, you must draft well and consistently. He also mentioned Purdy allowing us to have a stacked roster for 3-4 years. But said once the qb gets his money you lose a ton of flexibility. He's actually quite funny

Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
If he's serious about playing until 40, that would be massive for us. Basically means we have five good seasons at LT that we don't have to worry about. That changes the medium-term and even long-term plans to an extent.

That will give even more incentive for the team not to pick Tackle. Which they always ignore. He's getting older. Probably 1 - 2 good years left. We need a young star Tackle soon. Glad to have him this year and next year. But he can't be relied on forever.

We definitely need to find his replacement. Draft a tackle as soon as we can, and put him at RT until Trent retires / abilities fall off.

Definitely a long-term need. But curious how we go about this. We figure to be drafting in the bottom half of the first round the next couple years, and quality tackles usually go early. I wonder if we will need to trade up, or just hope we can find something in the bottom half of round 1, or hope we get lucky in the 2nd/3rd rounds.

Why not grab the best T in free agency similar to how we got Trent?

We haven't done a good job at drafting certain positions.

We didn't get Trent in free agency. All-Pro tackles are almost like franchise QB's—once in a blue moon a Kirk Cousins or Terron Armstead will hit free agency but it is very, very rare.

We got Trent via a trade with Washington. And for pennies on the dollar (a 5th + a future 3rd) because he sat out a year after their doctors misdiagnosed a tumor. We got insanely lucky. Normally a really good tackle gets traded for a 1st and change or even multiple 1sts (like Laremy Tunsil). That's what we will have to do if we don't want to draft one. Another HOF tackle magically being available for a sandwich and a bag of peanuts isn't happening again.

Since he loves KC so much we could have signed Jawaan Taylor to $80M in FA. 3rd highest paid RT in football and he blows lol.

but you know it's KC and according to him they do everything right lol.

Once upon a time, Mike McGlinchey was among the very best tackles available in free agency. I don't think people understand how hard this is.
Man… I'm so sorry I did not expect to totally derail this thread just by commenting how much of a different Trent playing until 40 makes for us 😂

Kansas City Chiefs

Yeah what I said.

It doesn't, he never pushed the ball down field and was worst on 3rd downs. He was so bad on 3rd downs that he avg close to 4 yard passes behind the LOS. Don't get me started

You always spew Alex hate without reason. 4 yards?

2017 he was 7.4 yards average on 3rd down
2018 he was 7.6 yards average on 3rd down (with the Skins)
His last year in the league he averaged 6 yards on 3rd down.. post leg break.
Originally posted by Jakemall:

Kansas City Chiefs

Yeah what I said.

You always spew Alex hate without reason. 4 yards?

2017 he was 7.4 yards average on 3rd down
2018 he was 7.6 yards average on 3rd down (with the Skins)
His last year in the league he averaged 6 yards on 3rd down.. post leg break.
If that were true, his 3rd conversions would be through the roof but It's not. He's pretty much last in conversion %

as for the 4 yards BLOS, that's from his passing charts
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Agreed but it's easier said than done.

Also Belicheck mentioned he only did contacts withojt void years etc. You get what you get and he would include incentives for more money based on hitting performance markers etc.

He actually brought us up using void years. He said that can work, but eventually it catches up to you because something you didn't expect happens or doesn't workout etc so he didn't like doing that. But as we both alluded to. With the salary cap era, you must draft well and consistently. He also mentioned Purdy allowing us to have a stacked roster for 3-4 years. But said once the qb gets his money you lose a ton of flexibility. He's actually quite funny

I think the void years work really well RIGHT NOW for the 49ers. It pushes the money back and then it can push Purdy's money back giving a really strong 5 year window in the salary cap. Short of something unforseen it pushes the salary cap comeuppance to 2030 or so, especially if they do a restructuring/resigning to Purdy in '28/'29.
Share 49ersWebzone