Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 239 users in the forums

Niners draft Colton McKivitz | OT West Virginia

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
9er brass all in wit CM, didnt draft a tackle or sign one... hope he is legit a lot riding on it

They did sign Matt Pryor. I think the last OL spot will be between him and Jaylon Moore.

Yeah. As for Colton, he'll make the team but I don't think he's a lock as a starter.

All three have a golden (pun intended) opportunity here.

Moore I think drives the coaches freaking nuts. He'll look amazing one play and then terrible the next. The guy can do it, he's just been so insanely inconsistent. They haven't been able to rely on him.

Moore and McKivitz are both still young (25 & 26 respectively) though, so maybe they can break through this year.

More of this please https://youtube.com/shorts/1yeE1KakncM?feature=share

Preach!
He is going to be a target by all the DC's until he proves himself.

I hope KS nails it since not a lot has been done to get a top tier RT.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by elguapo:
I would rather our pass protection be better than our run blocking. Some running backs can create on their own especially McCaffrey however with bad pass protection it's done. Especially playing great teams late in the playoffs with great quarterbacks you need to pass to catch up or when they stack vs the run like teams always do vs the niners.

Also, Aaron Banks is excellent! I think he will be a top 10-15 guard next year if he isn't already.

AGree 💯%, and especially in the playoffs with elite passing defenses facing our QB's. Most teams that get into the playoffs either have elite offenses and good defenses, or elite defenses and good offenses. We'll see what McKivitz can do, but they thought so highly of him as to not draft McGlinchy's replacement - if so, then I also have high expectations of McKivitz.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Originally posted by Giedi:

looks like he got alot of help, but love his fight. Hope he can turn into a star for us.

Plays high, misteps, unbalanced base, erratic punch, timing inconsistent, etc. The post-whistle stuff is just going to get him a penalty eventually.

TBF, he was playing LT and against Donald, who the Rams identified as the weak link (appropriately). We'll see much more of that this year.

Fortunately we had quick passes and he had plenty of help.

Well, I didn't see him being overpowered. That's a plus. As for Technique - hopefully he can clean that up. More experience hopefully means cleaner play and better technique. He's a young guy, just 26 years old. 6'6" good arm length and is a 5th rounder (the money round ). Brock/Trey's mobility will help in pass protection.

looks like he got alot of help, but love his fight. Hope he can turn into a star for us.

Plays high, misteps, unbalanced base, erratic punch, timing inconsistent, etc. The post-whistle stuff is just going to get him a penalty eventually.

TBF, he was playing LT and against Donald, who the Rams identified as the weak link (appropriately). We'll see much more of that this year.

Well, I didn't see him being overpowered. That's a plus. As for Technique - hopefully he can clean that up. More experience hopefully means cleaner play and better technique. He's a young guy, just 26 years old. 6'6" good arm length and is a 5th rounder (the money round ). Brock/Trey's mobility will help in pass protection.

Strength wise he did seem fine straight up. But without the other stuff, like Mike McGlinchey, you can't recover and strength can't help you overcome it. But it's hard coming off the bench playing both LT and RT so we need to keep a fair perspective here too. If he gets to solely focus on just RT now and gets all the reps there, we should start to see his talent ceiling much easier.
I would rather our pass protection be better than our run blocking. Some running backs can create on their own especially McCaffrey however with bad pass protection it's done. Especially playing great teams late in the playoffs with great quarterbacks you need to pass to catch up or when they stack vs the run like teams always do vs the niners.

Also, Aaron Banks is excellent! I think he will be a top 10-15 guard next year if he isn't already.

AGree 💯%, and especially in the playoffs with elite passing defenses facing our QB's. Most teams that get into the playoffs either have elite offenses and good defenses, or elite defenses and good offenses. We'll see what McKivitz can do, but they thought so highly of him as to not draft McGlinchy's replacement - if so, then I also have high expectations of McKivitz.

Very true and the fact that they were trying to trade McGlinchey 2 years ago and go with McKivitz says we believed in him to be the starting right tackle for a while now.

Very true and the fact that they were trying to trade McGlinchey 2 years ago and go with McKivitz says we believed in him to be the starting right tackle for a while now.

I'd like to think if they had traded MM, they would have used that pick on a strategy for his replacement like Trenton Brown, Buckner, etc. to go cheaper.
I genuinely believe CM can be just as effective as MM, but just like Mcglinchy, I think Colton has some clear limitations that should prevent him from being the long term answer at RT.

Unlike Burford, who I see as a player that could be a starter for a long time.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I genuinely believe CM can be just as effective as MM, but just like Mcglinchy, I think Colton has some clear limitations that should prevent him from being the long term answer at RT.

Unlike Burford, who I see as a player that could be a starter for a long time.

That seems like a very fair take.
CM's issue will be his strength. He has the footwork and quickness but will guys simply over power him when they transition the speed into power. Will he be able to balance himself and anchor properly. Burford doesn't have the overall girth, size or arm length that Kyle likes in a RT. You guys might want to give that s**t a rest. He's a guard. And I like Colton having a mean streak. Let's see what he does

I'd like to think if they had traded MM, they would have used that pick on a strategy for his replacement like Trenton Brown, Buckner, etc. to go cheaper.

Possibly they could've had a strategy for his replacement however we did not do that this year either. We did have enough draft capital this year to move up a bit especially with so much draft capital next year that we could've used to trade up in this year's draft. I really think we're giving him a chance and if he falters we still have enough cash to get somebody before the trade deadline at right tackle. Or we could just stay in the house which I don't suggest
Originally posted by lamontb:
CM's issue will be his strength. He has the footwork and quickness but will guys simply over power him when they transition the speed into power. Will he be able to balance himself and anchor properly. Burford doesn't have the overall girth, size or arm length that Kyle likes in a RT. You guys might want to give that s**t a rest. He's a guard. And I like Colton having a mean streak. Let's see what he does

Umm.. Spencer has MASSIVE length, longer than Colton lol. Burford has 34 3/4" arms (and played left tackle in college.

Entering the league he was a similar prospect to Jaylon Moore except quicker feet and a bit more athletic. He plays with impressive power but Spencer's problem was technical consistency and not the best kick slide for a tackle. His feet are actually pretty quick but that doesn't mean his footwork was great. He looked like he would be better not having to move them as much, which is likely why he ended up at guard.

Could he play tackle? Sure. But we wouldn't want to disrupt all the progress he's made there now. Spencer earned his spot and he's keeping it.

It's up to Colton and Moore to show they've progressed enough to win a job against the veteran Pryor now.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Strength wise he did seem fine straight up. But without the other stuff, like Mike McGlinchey, you can't recover and strength can't help you overcome it. But it's hard coming off the bench playing both LT and RT so we need to keep a fair perspective here too. If he gets to solely focus on just RT now and gets all the reps there, we should start to see his talent ceiling much easier.

I think if McKivitz stays mentally ahead of the DLineman, he'll be ok. Even if he might not be the Quickest or most agile. The thing that got me with McGlinchy was the mental errors on pass protections. He just whiffed and guessed wrong on certain pass sets and got bypassed like a turnstile. What I'm looking for is a good all around Right Tackle with no weaknesses mentally or physically. McGlinchy, I thought, was a bit of a mental liability in pass protection. Great run blocker though. McKivitz doesn't have to be Trent Williams, but if he can be a Harris Barton who was a solid (but not outstanding) player we should be ok.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

This will work if they got the OLine coach. Kyle got rid of his entire offensive coaching staff last year but for Foerster. If Forester is Kyle's McKittrick/Scarneccea it can work. But then, even with a coach like Kocureck, the Kinlaw project hasn't been a total success.

I've always thought a good right tackle helps an average right guard be good, but a bad right tackle can make a good right guard look average. One reason is that they have to work together on those stunts and blitzes. If McKivitz is doing his job decently, Burford should be just fine. So I'm looking for McKivitz to solidify the entire right side, in a sense, by mind melding with Burford on those complicated pass sets. McGlinchy never solidified the right side until late last year, in my opinion. Even then the DCoordinators were still overloading the right side and forcing Purdy to the left in the playoffs.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Possibly they could've had a strategy for his replacement however we did not do that this year either. We did have enough draft capital this year to move up a bit especially with so much draft capital next year that we could've used to trade up in this year's draft. I really think we're giving him a chance and if he falters we still have enough cash to get somebody before the trade deadline at right tackle. Or we could just stay in the house which I don't suggest

We didn't have a 1st or 2nd round picks this year due to Trey and McCaffrey trades, so I don't think we had the draft capital to really move up in the draft, especially in a draft with a weak tackle crop. ShanaLynch decided to punt on the right tackle this year and wait next year where we do have a first and second and supposedly a much better offensive tackle crop.

I have been impressed with Foerster. He took a journeyman free agent center and made him all-pro. McGlinchey was not acquired on his watch but McKivitz was. I think that is a big difference between McGlinchey and McKivitz.
Share 49ersWebzone