Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 250 users in the forums

Niners draft Colton McKivitz | OT West Virginia

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
He is going to be a target by all the DC's until he proves himself.

I hope KS nails it since not a lot has been done to get a top tier RT.

That part. TJ Watt week 1. We gonna find out early in the season. I'm betting he will see a lot of stunts
[ Edited by lamontb on May 25, 2023 at 8:33 AM ]
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Giedi:
I would rather our pass protection be better than our run blocking. Some running backs can create on their own especially McCaffrey however with bad pass protection it's done. Especially playing great teams late in the playoffs with great quarterbacks you need to pass to catch up or when they stack vs the run like teams always do vs the niners.

Also, Aaron Banks is excellent! I think he will be a top 10-15 guard next year if he isn't already.

AGree 💯%, and especially in the playoffs with elite passing defenses facing our QB's. Most teams that get into the playoffs either have elite offenses and good defenses, or elite defenses and good offenses. We'll see what McKivitz can do, but they thought so highly of him as to not draft McGlinchy's replacement - if so, then I also have high expectations of McKivitz.

Very true and the fact that they were trying to trade McGlinchey 2 years ago and go with McKivitz says we believed in him to be the starting right tackle for a while now.

I'd like to think if they had traded MM, they would have used that pick on a strategy for his replacement like Trenton Brown, Buckner, etc. to go cheaper.

Possibly they could've had a strategy for his replacement however we did not do that this year either. We did have enough draft capital this year to move up a bit especially with so much draft capital next year that we could've used to trade up in this year's draft. I really think we're giving him a chance and if he falters we still have enough cash to get somebody before the trade deadline at right tackle. Or we could just stay in the house which I don't suggest

We didn't have a 1st or 2nd round picks this year due to Trey and McCaffrey trades, so I don't think we had the draft capital to really move up in the draft, especially in a draft with a weak tackle crop. ShanaLynch decided to punt on the right tackle this year and wait next year where we do have a first and second and supposedly a much better offensive tackle crop.

I have been impressed with Foerster. He took a journeyman free agent center and made him all-pro. McGlinchey was not acquired on his watch but McKivitz was. I think that is a big difference between McGlinchey and McKivitz.

I think that was a good move. The worst of all worlds is to get "stuck" with a guy who clearly isn't the answer or who can't beat out CM anyway. It's better to get a clear upgrade in the draft or FA.
Originally posted by lamontb:

That part. TJ Watt week 1. We gonna find out early in the season. I'm betting he will see a lot of stunts

Very good call,

Very good call,

They will line Watt up over McKivitz 100% of the time. Big test coming, big fella. We're going to know early where his talent level is at.
They will line Watt up over McKivitz 100% of the time. Big test coming, big fella. We're going to know early where his talent level is at.

just let Latu handle him
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

just let Latu handle him
knowing where Watt will be all the time helps us
  • thl408

Very good call,

Yikes, most likely true. At least it only gets easier after week 1.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

just let Latu handle him
knowing where Watt will be all the time helps us

Haha. That's a great way of looking at it.
Originally posted by Nastastical:

It sounds like Foerster believes he's not the run blocker MM was here but might be a tad better as a pass protector. I was hoping for an upgrade over MM but let's see how his first season goes.

This dude was Kwame Harris bad today. Teams are going to be targeting him as the glaring weak spot on the OL if he doesn't get it together.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This dude was Kwame Harris bad today. Teams are going to be targeting him as the glaring weak spot on the OL if he doesn't get it together.
not all teams have Watt, thank goodness
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

He won't face a better edge group the rest of the season, so let's hope he can find a way to just not be a liability.
He didn't get Purdy killed so theres that
Maybe we spend out $$$. He seems to be the only liability
Share 49ersWebzone