Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 213 users in the forums

Niners draft Colton McKivitz | OT West Virginia

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by lamontb:
Imagine this guy in the playoffs versus the Eagles or Cowboys pass rush

People are saying "well, its Watt, of course he struggled" but that's the caliber of pass rusher he is going to have to hold up against in the playoffs and he looked absolutely helpless to do anything but get driven backwards repeatedly. As of right now he's a major liability.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
Tough match up today. That being said, I think he held up well. Was nowhere near as disturbing as a majority of McGlinchey's sacks.

Pretending that it's ok to give up 3 sacks just because he was matched up against Watt is foolish. If that were the case, Watt would get 51 sacks per season. No, it's nowhere near alright and needs to be fixed ASAP.

There are adjustments we can make, such as doubling or chipping the rusher. Didn't see much of that today.

still whooped ass.
Hope he gets better

fast
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

People are saying "well, its Watt, of course he struggled" but that's the caliber of pass rusher he is going to have to hold up against in the playoffs and he looked absolutely helpless to do anything but get driven backwards repeatedly. As of right now he's a major liability.

Sure but he'll have a full season to develop by then. This is his first season of regularly starting. Let him grow! If he doesn't he'll be gone.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I said this in the oline thread. First game he faces a top 5 pas rusher so let's give him a few weeks and hope he settles in otherwise Kittle will have 500 yards all season lol
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
My guess is that about mid-year, when a team with an expensive RT is out of the playoff hunt, the Niners will make a trade. Ala CMC last year. And then go first round OT in next year's draft.

Mid season could be too late. It only takes 1 hit to lose Brock for the season, or 1 game to lose home field advantage. They'll likely give him a couple more weeks, but vs LA next week he'll probably only give up 1 sack. Vs Giants and then Cowboys he'll give up more. We have the cap space to make a move, and trading a 1sf round pick for a quality starter at that position is better than waiting to draft one and Hopi the pans out.

I foresee TEs lining up next to McKivitz a LOT this season
Originally posted by father49er:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
My guess is that about mid-year, when a team with an expensive RT is out of the playoff hunt, the Niners will make a trade. Ala CMC last year. And then go first round OT in next year's draft.

Mid season could be too late. It only takes 1 hit to lose Brock for the season, or 1 game to lose home field advantage. They'll likely give him a couple more weeks, but vs LA next week he'll probably only give up 1 sack. Vs Giants and then Cowboys he'll give up more. We have the cap space to make a move, and trading a 1sf round pick for a quality starter at that position is better than waiting to draft one and Hopi the pans out.

I foresee TEs lining up next to McKivitz a LOT this season

Most likely but maybe we will get lucky and he improves with experience.
Give this kid a few games and see how he does, I think he's gonna be just fine. I like how he's played in his spot starts in the past.
I hope he improves, like he did well early on against Watt then just fell apart. So I'm hoping as the season goes on he gets better
Originally posted by mod:
I didn't think he was any worse than McGlinch. Which is to say its still a position that needs addressing. We're saving cap space with Mckivitz in but with Trent Williams retiring soon we need to bolster this line very soon.

The media and reporters were saying that he's a better pass blocker that McGlinchy(although McGlinchy is a better run blocker).
The media also said the Steelers were much improved and were going to beat us at home for their home opener.

I miss McGlinchey
Originally posted by Since07:
I miss McGlinchey

You lyin
Well he'll be facing off against our d line in practice so hopefully he'll improve over the course of the season.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kujon11:
Well he'll be facing off against our d line in practice so hopefully he'll improve over the course of the season.

Yup, facing against Bosa's going to improve his pass protection and run blocking. It's got to, or he'll be pancaked by Bosa on every practice and be the laughingstock every day.
  • q0c0p
  • Veteran
If brock gets injured or lose a big game in the playoffs it will be because of this guy
Share 49ersWebzone