Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 224 users in the forums

Niners draft Colton McKivitz | OT West Virginia

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Since07:
I miss McGlinchey
Not in the slightest
Can't wait to see him have to block Parsons.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Can't wait to see him have to block Parsons.
You and all 31 other NFL teams.
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
Originally posted by Since07:
I miss McGlinchey
Not in the slightest

Trent Brown?
Originally posted by mitpdub:
The media and reporters were saying that he's a better pass blocker that McGlinchy(although McGlinchy is a better run blocker).
The media also said the Steelers were much improved and were going to beat us at home for their home opener.

There was not a majority opinion on any of those points lol
Originally posted by Stanley:
The media and reporters were saying that he's a better pass blocker that McGlinchy(although McGlinchy is a better run blocker).
The media also said the Steelers were much improved and were going to beat us at home for their home opener.

Exactly. I don't recall anybody saying Mckivitz was a better pass blocker than MM. I seen some ppl take the Steelers but the majority of picks I saw yesterday were for the 49ers.
Originally posted by lamontb:

Exactly. I don't recall anybody saying Mckivitz was a better pass blocker than MM. I seen some ppl take the Steelers but the majority of picks I saw yesterday were for the 49ers.

That point about McKivitz being a better PP is actually from Foerster himself and several other local media guys like Maiocco and Lombardi. Foerster also expected a drop off for McKivitz compared to McGlinchey.

Let's just call him Colton McKivitzGlinchey.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 11, 2023 at 7:43 AM ]

I seem to recall somebody saying he MAY be a better pass blocker than Glinch. Let's see if he improves or whether they'll need to make a change.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I seem to recall somebody saying he MAY be a better pass blocker than Glinch. Let's see if he improves or whether they'll need to make a change.

This is my take as well. Lets just give him a few more games. We cant just Lance this guy too.....
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I didn't think he did too bad today. Sure he gave up three sacks but what can you say it was TJ Watt. Watt makes a lot of Tackles in the NFL look stupid.

McKivitz will be just fine.

Yeah, that was my take too. I thought a lot of it had to do with playing Watt.

3 sacks would be the worst day in the NFL though. I think our standards for "didn't do too bad" have fallen off a cliff. That should never be acceptable for any OL no matter who they face esp. if the goal is to win a Superbowl someday.

Originally posted by NCommand:
I didn't think he did too bad today. Sure he gave up three sacks but what can you say it was TJ Watt. Watt makes a lot of Tackles in the NFL look stupid.

3 sacks would be the worst day in the NFL though. I think our standards for "didn't do too bad" have fallen off a cliff. That should never be acceptable for any OL no matter who they face esp. if the goal is to win a Superbowl someday.

He was facing the all time single season sack record holder in his first game of the year. I think a lot of tackles have problems with Watt.

He was facing the all time single season sack record holder in his first game of the year. I think a lot of tackles have problems with Watt.

OK. At some point he'll face plenty of other good pass rushes like Parsons.

This was his chance. He had all off season to prepare for Watt and still got whipped and put our QB in danger.

No need to rush to final judgement but this seems pretty par for the course for his skill set to date, IMHO.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

This was his chance. He had all off season to prepare for Watt and still got whipped and put our QB in danger.

No need to rush to final judgement but this seems pretty par for the course for his skill set to date, IMHO.

I get what you're saying NC. But I think it was actually two sacks though, because Purdy scramble and got caught before the LOS. On a positive note at least McKivitz won't be facing Watt again this regular season.

I get what you're saying NC. But I think it was actually two sacks though, because Purdy scramble and got caught before the LOS. On a positive note at least McKivitz won't be facing Watt again this regular season.

True true.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

It's not how you start the season, but how you finish. 1989 the 49ers entire OLine looked horrible in the beginning, but towards the end, they did enough to get into the playoffs and the rest is history. Hopefully this is going to be McKivitz worst game for his career and he gets better.

Agree, with your point though, that it's a bit late to fix this problem if it is a problem. A real solution to this problem will be next years draft, or possibly a trade before the trade deadline (very unlikely though).
Share 49ersWebzone