There are 240 users in the forums

Niners draft Colton McKivitz | OT West Virginia

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Imagine this guy in the playoffs versus the Eagles or Cowboys pass rush

People are saying "well, its Watt, of course he struggled" but that's the caliber of pass rusher he is going to have to hold up against in the playoffs and he looked absolutely helpless to do anything but get driven backwards repeatedly. As of right now he's a major liability.

I can't believe the 9ers thought It would be a good Idea to stick with this guy. Oh well, at least we didn't hand out a big contract to Glinch.

People are saying "well, its Watt, of course he struggled" but that's the caliber of pass rusher he is going to have to hold up against in the playoffs and he looked absolutely helpless to do anything but get driven backwards repeatedly. As of right now he's a major liability.

Sure it is a concern, but I would not over react base on one game. This is his first game as a full time starter, he will likely improve going forward.
Originally posted by libertyforever:

Sure it is a concern, but I would not over react base on one game. This is his first game as a full time starter, he will likely improve going forward.

Worst comes to worst, he's our swing tackle back up. way more worried about burford.

i mean the first half, Watt didn't do anything or we wouldn't have had a game like we did.

After the game was decided, we kinda let Mck play on an island.. but there is a long season ahead us before the playoffs and he needs to step up or be a back up T for the rest of his career
Rams
Giants
Cardinals

we should have a much better sample size against lesser DE talent.

Let's see how he's doing after the next 3 games,
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I didn't think he did too bad today. Sure he gave up three sacks but what can you say it was TJ Watt. Watt makes a lot of Tackles in the NFL look stupid.

McKivitz will be just fine.

Yeah, that was my take too. I thought a lot of it had to do with playing Watt.

3 sacks would be the worst day in the NFL though. I think our standards for "didn't do too bad" have fallen off a cliff. That should never be acceptable for any OL no matter who they face esp. if the goal is to win a Superbowl someday.

He was facing the all time single season sack record holder in his first game of the year. I think a lot of tackles have problems with Watt.

OK. At some point he'll face plenty of other good pass rushes like Parsons.

This was his chance. He had all off season to prepare for Watt and still got whipped and put our QB in danger.

No need to rush to final judgement but this seems pretty par for the course for his skill set to date, IMHO.

It's not how you start the season, but how you finish. 1989 the 49ers entire OLine looked horrible in the beginning, but towards the end, they did enough to get into the playoffs and the rest is history. Hopefully this is going to be McKivitz worst game for his career and he gets better.

Agree, with your point though, that it's a bit late to fix this problem if it is a problem. A real solution to this problem will be next years draft, or possibly a trade before the trade deadline (very unlikely though).

This is true. But every player has a floor and ceiling. But to your point, let's see how it goes.

I'm going to overreact based on 2 games, the game McKivitz played yesterday and the game Dallas played last night. Dallas is the only team in the league with a defense as good as the Niners, and there is no way in hell McKivitz could stop anything from their rush. I do NOT want to lose tho the Cowboys, and Colton McKivitz could be the reason they do.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:

I'm going to overreact based on 2 games, the game McKivitz played yesterday and the game Dallas played last night. Dallas is the only team in the league with a defense as good as the Niners, and there is no way in hell McKivitz could stop anything from their rush. I do NOT want to lose tho the Cowboys, and Colton McKivitz could be the reason they do.

I think it is up to Kyle to help McKivitz (have a back chip the rusher) on those deeper drop backs against a top tier pass rusher. Brock needs to help him as well by getting rid of the ball quickly or step up in the pocket.

I think it is up to Kyle to help McKivitz (have a back chip the rusher) on those deeper drop backs against a top tier pass rusher. Brock needs to help him as well by getting rid of the ball quickly or step up in the pocket.

That's what Kyle had to do with Glinch. Which is one reason why Glinch signed a FA deal with the Broncos and is no longer on the 49ers. At some point, the 49ers have to develop a tackle that doesn't need that kind of help. A tackle that can hold his own, no matter what the competition is.

I hate to keep harkening back to the 80's decade, but the 49ers had a line coach who could develop talent. It really didn't matter what round that talent was selected in, the 49ers developed that talent. Both Joe Montana, and later Steve Young, benefitted from very good line play. They were not perfect. No line is. But they were good enough.

A lot of this comes down to coaching and the ability of a coach to spot talent and advocate for drafting that talent. QB coach Brian Griese struck gold with Purdy. John Lynch mentions Griese's role all the time with the Purdy selection. Griese not only spotted Purdy, he helped to develop him into what he's become.

At some point, that has to happen with the offensive line. Not just tackles, but the entire line. You cannot sign a bunch of players like Trent Williams. You only get one. Teams need to develop the rest of the lineup.

That said? It's only been one game. I'm sure McKivitz knows he needs to step it up. I hope he can.
Originally posted by Stanley:
Originally posted by mitpdub:
The media and reporters were saying that he's a better pass blocker that McGlinchy(although McGlinchy is a better run blocker).
The media also said the Steelers were much improved and were going to beat us at home for their home opener.

There was not a majority opinion on any of those points lol

Exactly. I don't recall anybody saying Mckivitz was a better pass blocker than MM. I seen some ppl take the Steelers but the majority of picks I saw yesterday were for the 49ers.

Though the sample size was small, McKivits was graded higher than McGlinchey last season by PFF.

Originally posted by billbird2111:

That's what Kyle had to do with Glinch. Which is one reason why Glinch signed a FA deal with the Broncos and is no longer on the 49ers. At some point, the 49ers have to develop a tackle that doesn't need that kind of help. A tackle that can hold his own, no matter what the competition is.

I hate to keep harkening back to the 80's decade, but the 49ers had a line coach who could develop talent. It really didn't matter what round that talent was selected in, the 49ers developed that talent. Both Joe Montana, and later Steve Young, benefitted from very good line play. They were not perfect. No line is. But they were good enough.

A lot of this comes down to coaching and the ability of a coach to spot talent and advocate for drafting that talent. QB coach Brian Griese struck gold with Purdy. John Lynch mentions Griese's role all the time with the Purdy selection. Griese not only spotted Purdy, he helped to develop him into what he's become.

At some point, that has to happen with the offensive line. Not just tackles, but the entire line. You cannot sign a bunch of players like Trent Williams. You only get one. Teams need to develop the rest of the lineup.

That said? It's only been one game. I'm sure McKivitz knows he needs to step it up. I hope he can.

Sure, but remember every team would love to have a good OT in a rookie deal. And an OT is one of the least risky position to draft, meaning most top 10 OT do work out and most good OT were drafted in the top 10.

Remembered even the very average caliber McGlinchey got like $17.5M a year contract.

This team is loaded, with Brock, Hufanga, Aiyuk, Drake on rookie deal being way underpaid. The roster building this regime has done is perhaps as good as any other team in the same period. If you want to focus on OL then we need to reprioritize other positions, otherwise you are really asking for the impossible.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
I can't believe the 9ers thought It would be a good Idea to stick with this guy. Oh well, at least we didn't hand out a big contract to Glinch.

That was the primary reason he is gone - $$$$$. We were one torn ligament from the Super Bowl with McGlinchey. He was a much better RT than some here expressed.

I don't think anyone really expected McKivitz to be better than McGlinchey. Some might have HOPED he would be better but hope is all they had.

"Always be careful what you wish for..."
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Personally, I'm pretty confident in Foerster's ability to develop Offensive Linemen - almost to the point where McKittrick was. One reason was last year the interior line was unknown and had a lot of young raw talent out in the interior, Trent was the only known factor. McGlinchy was coming off a severe leg injury, and Banks, Burford, and Brendel were brand new starters. They did OK, and even McGlinchy did well recovering from the injury and moving on to his 2nd contract. I have confidence in Foerster's opinion and ability to develop McKivitz. Now, having said that, I still want a high round pick going to the Offensive Line next year. I also am still ticked off that the Latu pick wasn't an offensive tackle instead.
I cannot remember the exact picks that Monte Clark used in the two seasons he had with the team to draft the entire offensive line that would go on to protect Joe Montana through the first two Super Bowl runs, but I don't think any of them were high picks. However, I could be wrong. My point is that Monte could at least spot line talent, draft it and develop it. Add in Bobb McKittrick, hired in 1979 to coach that line, and you have the recipe for success.

McKittrick turned high draft picks into solid lines. Out of all five Super Bowls, only one player on those lines he coached and developed came out of the first round. It can be done, with the right kind of coaching.
I cannot remember the exact picks that Monte Clark used in the two seasons he had with the team to draft the entire offensive line that would go on to protect Joe Montana through the first two Super Bowl runs, but I don't think any of them were high picks. However, I could be wrong. My point is that Monte could at least spot line talent, draft it and develop it. Add in Bobb McKittrick, hired in 1979 to coach that line, and you have the recipe for success.

McKittrick turned high draft picks into solid lines. Out of all five Super Bowls, only one player on those lines he coached and developed came out of the first round. It can be done, with the right kind of coaching.

I think one factor you didn't mentioned was that drafting (excluding high picks) and developing OL has gotten much tougher over the past decade.
Share 49ersWebzone