There are 214 users in the forums

Niners draft Colton McKivitz | OT West Virginia

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Originally posted by thl408:
I know he got worked in pass pro versus Watt, but how was his run blocking? I did not notice.

I'm not sure how he did run blocking, but I just wanted to comment on his pass pro vs Watt, he did give up 3 sacks but watching Jonnydel's video there''s a lot of plays where he played perfect against Watt and gave Purdy plenty of time to throw. Take it for what its worth... lets hope he improves throughout the season.

AGree. McKivitz didn't look physically beaten, just took some wrong angles and some miscommunication with his right guard. I think that is 90% is fixable. The other 10% I hope McKivitz doesn't face an elite edge rusher until he's ready for them the playoffs.

He's facing Parsons and Garrett so he better get that s**t corrected because other than Watt who he faced and Bosa those 2 are the other premier guys
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
I'm not sure how he did run blocking, but I just wanted to comment on his pass pro vs Watt, he did give up 3 sacks but watching Jonnydel's video there''s a lot of plays where he played perfect against Watt and gave Purdy plenty of time to throw. Take it for what its worth... lets hope he improves throughout the season.

If they don't make a move for someone, anyone better, that's all we as fans can do.

Yes, but at least he's given us some glimpse of hope if we don't make a move.
[ Edited by DRCHOWDER on Sep 13, 2023 at 11:37 PM ]
We won't know until 3-4 games in whether McKivitz is a large liability or not. I suspect he will be fine when not playing against the small number of elite pass rushers.
Originally posted by TopDogBerkeley:
We won't know until 3-4 games in whether McKivitz is a large liability or not. I suspect he will be fine when not playing against the small number of elite pass rushers.

agree.. Smart guy here... it's only one game, and too bad he faced an All Pro.. I think w/Watts motor, even our 71 may have had a difficult time dealing with him..

KIVO fine.. he'll be fine..
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by thl408:
I know he got worked in pass pro versus Watt, but how was his run blocking? I did not notice.

AGree. McKivitz didn't look physically beaten, just took some wrong angles and some miscommunication with his right guard. I think that is 90% is fixable. The other 10% I hope McKivitz doesn't face an elite edge rusher until he's ready for them the playoffs.

He's facing Parsons and Garrett so he better get that s**t corrected because other than Watt who he faced and Bosa those 2 are the other premier guys

Well, my hope is that McKivitz practicing against Bosa will cure most of his pass protection problems against elite pass rushing talent. I see his problems are more coordination with Burford and just making sure that on a 7 step drop play, he sets up for a 7 step drop, and not a 3 step drop (for example). That 49er DLine is top three in terms of eliteness in my opinion. That should help the offensive line step up their game and evolve during the season. I am hoping that OLine will be much stronger in game 17 than in game 1.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

If they don't make a move for someone, anyone better, that's all we as fans can do.

I agree with you. I think he can get better. That 40+ million in cap space is comforting that they might be able to upgrade the OLine. AB81 says it's for roll over for next years cap, but at least they have the option for this year to get a good player before the trade deadline. But if they have a shot at another CMC deal with a talented OLine, it might be worth breaking the cap for 2024 if they get #6 🏆
I don't think McKivitz is any good and I don't think there's an easy route to replace him with anyone other than Jaylon Moore. I don't think the Niners opened up cap space to use this season. I think it's to roll over. Even if it wasn't, no one is out there giving away starting RT.

This will be the achilles heel of the team all year imo.
You are too worried about it. It was 1 game and against one of the best pass rushers in the league. Calm down a little guys.
Originally posted by JDTical:
I don't think McKivitz is any good and I don't think there's an easy route to replace him with anyone other than Jaylon Moore. I don't think the Niners opened up cap space to use this season. I think it's to roll over. Even if it wasn't, no one is out there giving away starting RT.

This will be the achilles heel of the team all year imo.

I like J-Moore... but I also like what's happening now.. it's early and we get to see if KIVO has a future as a starting RT or will be a Swing Tackler forever...

I rather find out now and this early where this young guys stand..

GO NINERSSSS !!

In all honesty, it they don't make a move, I DO have faith in Kyle. Would mean he either sees enough to trust him or has some s**t up his sleeve to mask sub par play.

In all honesty, it they don't make a move, I DO have faith in Kyle. Would mean he either sees enough to trust him or has some s**t up his sleeve to mask sub par play.
how do you think Watt wasn't a factor until the game was over ?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
You are too worried about it. It was 1 game and against one of the best pass rushers in the league. Calm down a little guys.

Lol this.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

He absolutely was a factor, but surrendering 3 sacks is a PROBLEM. This is a playoff team, Super Bowl hopeful. Do you think the Eagles or Cowboys would do any less? Small weaknesses are the difference between winning a Super Bowl and getting bounce in it or the game before. Barring injuries, I expect this team to be in a 3rd consecutive NFCCG. Unless the weakness is addressed, I expect the team to finish the same as they have.

He absolutely was a factor, but surrendering 3 sacks is a PROBLEM. This is a playoff team, Super Bowl hopeful. Do you think the Eagles or Cowboys would do any less? Small weaknesses are the difference between winning a Super Bowl and getting bounce in it or the game before. Barring injuries, I expect this team to be in a 3rd consecutive NFCCG. Unless the weakness is addressed, I expect the team to finish the same as they have.
ok lets try this again, why wasn't watt a factor until the game was over (halftime) ?

ok lets try this again, why wasn't watt a factor until the game was over (halftime) ?

Probably a question for Kyle. On a side note, Philly is looking less scary to me tonight.
Share 49ersWebzone