There are 223 users in the forums

Niners draft Colton McKivitz | OT West Virginia

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
I wanna make the cut.

Handle alone keeps you in the cut. How could ANYONE not respect the words of a chowda doctor?
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
I wanna make the cut.

Handle alone keeps you in the cut. How could ANYONE not respect the words of a chowda doctor?

Originally posted by Giedi:
I wanna make the cut.

Not worth it if you're not getting paid.

lol
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JTB1974:
I think the Niners just stopped game-planning for TJ Watt when they went up 20-0.

I think they wanted to see if Colton could handle Watt mano a mano - and nearly got their franchise QB killed.

I would have liked to see a Tight End on Colton's side helping more into the fourth quarter. One reason Kittle didn't have a big day, I think, was him helping Colton out the entire game. I think they were trying to get Kittle in the passing game towards the end and that's when the sacks on Purdy happened later in the game.
Honest assessment from those who know more about O line than me: if McKivitz struggles again this week, should the team make a move to replace him? Giants pass rush with Thibodeaux could present a problem, but doesn't make me think we lose that game. If McKivitz isn't the answer though, I'd like to have a guy here in time to play that one. It May literally e the difference between playing in Dallas or Santa Clara com January.
Honest assessment from those who know more about O line than me: if McKivitz struggles again this week, should the team make a move to replace him? Giants pass rush with Thibodeaux could present a problem, but doesn't make me think we lose that game. If McKivitz isn't the answer though, I'd like to have a guy here in time to play that one. It May literally e the difference between playing in Dallas or Santa Clara com January.

He's playing for the Cardinals now and I don't think we have anyone here who could replace him. Which the o line is something I was worried about all offseason. Let's pray he gets better and the oline gels. If not, we may get Purdy injured. The complaint I have is Kyles ego, thinks he can scheme around poor line play. Hopefully it gets better or we're gong to be teased into losing at the end like last 4 years minus the off year wth an injured Jimmy. .
[ Edited by bassmanr on Sep 15, 2023 at 7:16 PM ]
Originally posted by bassmanr:

He's playing for the Cardinals now and I don't think we have anyone here who could replace him. Which the o line is something I was worried about all offseason. Let's pray he gets better and the oline gels. If not, we may get Purdy injured. The complaint I have is Kyles ego, thinks he can scheme around poor line play. Hopefully it gets better or we're gong to be teased into losing at the end like last 4 years minus the off year wth an injured Jimmy. .

Yup. It'll always end up the same in the end. Kyle CAN scheme around a ton. The QB can help a ton. But at some point, both can only do so much and "talent" will need to stand on its own.

That said, let's keep an eye on that right side. We need more film and reps to review.
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
Replace this guy with Tristan Wirfs and you've probably got the best roster in NFL history.
Originally posted by A-R-S:
Replace this guy with Tristan Wirfs and you've probably got the best roster in NFL history.

No doubt. And probably playing at a Tier 1 level going into the playoffs.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Yup. It'll always end up the same in the end. Kyle CAN scheme around a ton. The QB can help a ton. But at some point, both can only do so much and "talent" will need to stand on its own.

That said, let's keep an eye on that right side. We need more film and reps to review.

We have a different QB. Kyle was scheming around OL and QB lol. He doesn't have to scheme around the QB now. Furthermore, everyone is doing the same because there aren't 64 starting caliber tackles in the NFL and its been that way for years. The people who overcome have elite QBs. We have literally seen all time great QBs win 9 of the last 10 Super Bowls. Meanwhile the QBs that have had the best O-lines in the last 10 years (Prescott, Colts QBs after 2018, and now Jalen Hurts) have done what exactly? And in the case of Hurts, its not lile the Philly O-line suddenly became good. Jalen Hurts elevated his game and the team became the best in the NFC.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Sorry if it's a repost. Colton interview. No Grant Cone here - just Colton.

[ Edited by Giedi on Sep 16, 2023 at 12:49 PM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

We have a different QB. Kyle was scheming around OL and QB lol. He doesn't have to scheme around the QB now. Furthermore, everyone is doing the same because there aren't 64 starting caliber tackles in the NFL and its been that way for years. The people who overcome have elite QBs. We have literally seen all time great QBs win 9 of the last 10 Super Bowls. Meanwhile the QBs that have had the best O-lines in the last 10 years (Prescott, Colts QBs after 2018, and now Jalen Hurts) have done what exactly? And in the case of Hurts, its not lile the Philly O-line suddenly became good. Jalen Hurts elevated his game and the team became the best in the NFC.

That's actually untrue. Stafford, Brady, Mahomes, etc. all had tier 1 OL's when they won their Superbowls. When they didn't, they retired, lost the Superbowl or went 4-13.

You need both. It's a passing league.

That's not to say you can ONLY win this way but it's definitely the best odds/probability.

You're going to see that again this year with Patrick Mahomes. Again.

Saying only elite QB's win dismisses the fact those same elite QB's lost when they didn't have their tier 1 OL.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 16, 2023 at 1:09 PM ]

That's actually untrue. Stafford, Brady, Mahomes, etc. all had tier 1 OL's when they won their Superbowls. When they didn't, they retired, lost the Superbowl or went 4-13.

That's not to say you can ONLY win this way but it's definitely the best odds/probability.

Saying only elite QB's win dismisses the fact those same elite QB's lost when they didn't have their tier 1 OL.

And the non elite QBs never make it, even while having superior O-lines. See the Colts of the last few years, Cowboys for the better part of 8 or so years, etc.

Also did the Chiefs O-line go from tier 1 to awful in one year? Because they went from winning a Super Bowl (where Mahommes was running for his life for 3+ quarters and on his way to one of his worst games ever) to getting their teeth kicked down their throats one year later, where again, Mahommes was running for his life.

And the non elite QBs never make it, even while having superior O-lines. See the Colts of the last few years, Cowboys for the better part of 8 or so years, etc.

Also did the Chiefs O-line go from tier 1 to awful in one year? Because they went from winning a Super Bowl (where Mahommes was running for his life for 3+ quarters and on his way to one of his worst games ever) to getting their teeth kicked down their throats one year later, where again, Mahommes was running for his life.

Oh I agree. If you have an elite QB you'll always have a chance. I'm just talking the other side too and the best combo.

Put it this way...with Brock and Kyle + a tier 1 OL, I think you and I would agree we'd be talking dynasty potential here.

As to the Chiefs, they went from non-tier 1 and getting whipped (by a tier 1 OL that didn't allow a touch on Brady) to Andy Reid instantly revamping their OL to a tier 1 again and winning another Superbowl. Now they don't have that again so I expect them not to win again. Follow the OL. They got beat by the Lions...a tier 1 OL + Goff. LOL.

It matters.

Do you think there is a better formula out there such as elite QB + elite DL?
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 16, 2023 at 1:55 PM ]

He must consult with Brandon Thorns free content. Give him some time and he'll get back to you, minus the context of course.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Sep 16, 2023 at 1:55 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone