There are 209 users in the forums

Niners draft Colton McKivitz | OT West Virginia

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Originally posted by Heroism:
I saw this dude handling Micah Parsons 1-on-1 multiple times last night. I don't mean holding on for dear life, either. Dude stopped Parsons dead on multiple reps. He also got beat, but it wasn't anything like McFloppy getting launched into orbit.

Dude is improving as the season progresses and if it continues we're just fine at the position. I'm pleasantly surprised, and happy as hell I was probably wrong about him. I watched some of the Denver/NYJ game and McG looks even worse there than he did here. At least he's getting paid, I guess, but at this point in the season it looks like we've upgraded there, and saved $.

JUST like Bank, all Kivo needed was some serious playing time to get his GROOVE ON !!
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
Ya man I've been pleasantly surprised in how well he has played.... guess Lynch knew what he was doing when he didnt draft a rookie or sign a FA tackle

THIS!
I think everyone, myself included, overreacted against watt. Newsflash: there aren't many tackles in the league period that are going to survive watt alone.

He has been pretty solid. I think most would agree he is mcglincheys equal overall and at a fraction of the cost (fyi I loved mcg as a run blocker)
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Originally posted by Heroism:
I saw this dude handling Micah Parsons 1-on-1 multiple times last night. I don't mean holding on for dear life, either. Dude stopped Parsons dead on multiple reps. He also got beat, but it wasn't anything like McFloppy getting launched into orbit.

Dude is improving as the season progresses and if it continues we're just fine at the position. I'm pleasantly surprised, and happy as hell I was probably wrong about him. I watched some of the Denver/NYJ game and McG looks even worse there than he did here. At least he's getting paid, I guess, but at this point in the season it looks like we've upgraded there, and saved $.

He has been one of the best surprises this year. I thought we were screwed with him at RT. I'm am so glad to be wrong about him and he really improved since the steelers game. I thought our line was the weak link and now very surprised how well they have played. Keep it up guys and we will get number 6.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Ya man I've been pleasantly surprised in how well he has played.... guess Lynch knew what he was doing when he didnt draft a rookie or sign a FA tackle

Great point! Kudos also to Foerster for coaching him up and continuing to develop McKivitz! If he keeps improving, ShanaLynch may not need to draft a right tackle, but Left and interior depth next year. we shall see.

Still needs to draft a right, but they can wait until day 3 like the McKivitz pick and develop them. There isn't much behind Williams and McKivitz. Round 1- Trent replacement. Round 4/5- depth.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Great point! Kudos also to Foerster for coaching him up and continuing to develop McKivitz! If he keeps improving, ShanaLynch may not need to draft a right tackle, but Left and interior depth next year. we shall see.

Still needs to draft a right, but they can wait until day 3 like the McKivitz pick and develop them. There isn't much behind Williams and McKivitz. Round 1- Trent replacement. Round 4/5- depth.

We need a tackle for sure. But if there's an A center and a B- tackle in the draft... give me the center.

Brendel has been good this year, but an elite center would make this team invincible.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
I think everyone, myself included, overreacted against watt. Newsflash: there aren't many tackles in the league period that are going to survive watt alone.

He has been pretty solid. I think most would agree he is mcglincheys equal overall and at a fraction of the cost (fyi I loved mcg as a run blocker)

Totally. He deserves some love for sure.
Originally posted by Waterbear:

We need a tackle for sure. But if there's an A center and a B- tackle in the draft... give me the center.

Brendel has been good this year, but an elite center would make this team invincible.

This is what I've been wondering about- IOL vs. Tackle. More likely to get that top tier IOL with our first or second pick whereas its almost definitely a B tackle with where we will draft. Definitely gotta see what combination would land us the best prospects, but I'd rather take my chances with the B tackle plus a 3rd round guard then the reverse.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I like the elite center idea if McKivitz continues to improve. A center that has the strength to handle DTs by himself (35+ bench reps) and still is as fast as Brendel (5.1/40 - I think) and an athlete to boot would be perfect for Kyle's system.

1st or 2nd round level left tackle and a 3rd round level center might be the way to go in the 2024 draft.
I think Foerster might be correct. He might be a better pass blocker than McGlinchey.

Originally posted by libertyforever:
I think Foerster might be correct. He might be a better pass blocker than McGlinchey.

looks like Kolton Miller is the better long term tackle than McLurch, we missed on that one
Originally posted by libertyforever:

looks like Kolton Miller is the better long term tackle than McLurch, we missed on that one

CHUCKIE played us well on that one and we freakin bit !!

We have the cap room and I'm still keeping my eyes open if I'm Lynch and a top tier RT becomes available. We need to allow Kittle and our TEs to release instead of help the right side. If we want a cleaner road to the Super Bowl we always need to upgrade the OL. No offense to current players who would be really solid depth.

Unfortunately I don't see an A center in the class. But in the 2nd it can be an option.
I like the kid from Clemson.. Ryan Linthicium.. I think we can trade down towards the end of the 2nd round and draft this kid.
Share 49ersWebzone