There are 230 users in the forums

Niners draft Colton McKivitz | OT West Virginia

Shop Find 49ers gear online
we see that right side of the line is an issue, maybe the issue
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NCommand:
He's clearly learned a lot from Mike McGlinchey.

He's worse in every way but the biggest drop-off by far is as a run blocker. I still don't understand why there was this air of inevitability with him being treated as the starter in waiting and why there wasn't more of a competition.

When I heard Foerster say he pulled aside both he and Burford and awarded them starting positions and told them not to look over their shoulders and Kyle talking about not wanting to stack OL talent b/c those picks could go elsewhere instead, I knew we'd be f**ked...again.

All I've ever wanted is our QB to have the best shot to reach their ceiling. Whatever ceiling that is.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 12, 2023 at 2:53 PM ]

He's worse in every way but the biggest drop-off by far is as a run blocker. I still don't understand why there was this air of inevitability with him being treated as the starter in waiting and why there wasn't more of a competition.

When I heard Foerster say he pulled aside both he and Burford and awarded them starting positions and told them not to look over their shoulders and Kyle talking about not wanting to stack OL talent b/c those picks could go elsewhere instead, I knew we'd be f**ked...again.

All I've ever wanted is our QB to have the best shot to reach their ceiling. Whatever ceiling that is.
lol, you would just shift like you normally do and blame something else (most likely weapons)
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
How about putting him on IR and starting Jaylon Moore with Matt Pryor backing up both spots!!!

I'm not asking just do it!!!
Originally posted by Kolohe:
How about putting him on IR and starting Jaylon Moore with Matt Pryor backing up both spots!!!

Pryor can't play LT
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by the_dynasty:

Pryor can't play LT

Okay, then slide Moore back to LT then put Pryor at RT. They could just straight bench McKivitz. There's also Jesse Davis who has 72 starts under his belt.
Okay, then slide Moore back to LT then put Pryor at RT. They could just straight bench McKivitz. There's also Jesse Davis who has 72 starts under his belt.

Need to bench Burford. Colton appears to be tasked with helping Burford on a lot of plays which then makes him late to protect the edge. Teams are loading that side to try and take advantage of that.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

lol, you would just shift like you normally do and blame something else (most likely weapons)

I've never shifted on this topic. I'm just glad everybody but the fail five see it now. It took awhile.

Its a weird double standard. People are ready to proclaim Drake Jackson and Danny Gray busts, but the team continues to put talent in front of those guys. Burford and McKivitz on the other hand were just handed jobs. No one to compete with, nothing to fight for.

When Banks comes back maybe Feliciano will slide over to Right Guard. Didn't seem the pocket was especially clean today. Tons of hits too but no pics by Brock
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Nov 13, 2023 at 5:41 AM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Its a weird double standard. People are ready to proclaim Drake Jackson and Danny Gray busts, but the team continues to put talent in front of those guys. Burford and McKivitz on the other hand were just handed jobs. No one to compete with, nothing to fight for.

That's been a real concern of mine for quite a while. Nobody to challenge dudes like Tomlinson, Garland, Brendel, Brunskill, Person, McGlinchey, McKivitz and Burford.

Competition and stacking talent is never a bad thing. The FO is great on that at other positions for sure. But with OL and Secondary, not so much so we are forced to keep rearranging the deck on the Titanic and injuries = immediate losses.

Maybe this is the off season ShanaLynch change their team building strategy now that they've addressed their primary positions and have got them to (their) standard: QB, DL, LB, TE, RB, FB, WR, S, ST.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
When Banks comes back maybe Feliciano will slide over to Right Guard. Didn't seem the pocket was especially clean today. Tons of hits too but no pics by Brock

I always thought Burford was a better OT then OG. I'm all for moving Feliciano over to RG (I'm assuming he's played there before).

colton is a backup. They should have invested some of those day 3 picks into OL. Always be developing there.
That's been a real concern of mine for quite a while. Nobody to challenge dudes like Tomlinson, Garland, Brendel, Brunskill, Person, McGlinchey, McKivitz and Burford.

Competition and stacking talent is never a bad thing. The FO is great on that at other positions for sure. But with OL and Secondary, not so much so we are forced to keep rearranging the deck on the Titanic and injuries = immediate losses.

Maybe this is the off season ShanaLynch change their team building strategy now that they've addressed their primary positions and have got them to (their) standard: QB, DL, LB, TE, RB, FB, WR, S, ST.

I get what you're saying, but I mean who competed with Wirfs in TB? Slater in LC. Any of NY's OTs or the countless OL drafted and started early?

colton has been competing since he got here. I'm with you in that we should be stacking up OL every draft and developing. I don't think the guys who are currently starting we're just given the starting gig though.
The right side it what it is fellas. Just gotta cover it up the best they can and hope it's enough.
Share 49ersWebzone