There are 202 users in the forums

Niners draft Colton McKivitz | OT West Virginia

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Colton is fine. They gave him a golden helmet during the draft process. He's young and practically a rookie. He just needs time to develop.
[ Edited by 49ersRing on Nov 13, 2023 at 7:24 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He's clearly learned a lot from Mike McGlinchey.

He's worse in every way but the biggest drop-off by far is as a run blocker. I still don't understand why there was this air of inevitability with him being treated as the starter in waiting and why there wasn't more of a competition.

When I heard Foerster say he pulled aside both he and Burford and awarded them starting positions and told them not to look over their shoulders and Kyle talking about not wanting to stack OL talent b/c those picks could go elsewhere instead, I knew we'd be f**ked...again.

All I've ever wanted is our QB to have the best shot to reach their ceiling. Whatever ceiling that is.

Its a weird double standard. People are ready to proclaim Drake Jackson and Danny Gray busts, but the team continues to put talent in front of those guys. Burford and McKivitz on the other hand were just handed jobs. No one to compete with, nothing to fight for.

That's been a real concern of mine for quite a while. Nobody to challenge dudes like Tomlinson, Garland, Brendel, Brunskill, Person, McGlinchey, McKivitz and Burford.

Competition and stacking talent is never a bad thing. The FO is great on that at other positions for sure. But with OL and Secondary, not so much so we are forced to keep rearranging the deck on the Titanic and injuries = immediate losses.

Maybe this is the off season ShanaLynch change their team building strategy now that they've addressed their primary positions and have got them to (their) standard: QB, DL, LB, TE, RB, FB, WR, S, ST.

I believe it simply because there really aren't many positions left to go after. Linebacker looks good. WR looks good. We can wait for day 3 on RB. Other positions we can add some players but as for our first four picks I can't see anything superseding Oline and CB.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Future starting RG. Get well soon Aaron Banks.

These dudes are stubborn. don't be surprised to see Burford still being blown up when Banks is back. Plus let's use some caution on guys having one great performance. It was just a few weeks ago when ppl wanted Moore to take over at RT. Then in his 2nd game the dude got destroyed.
Originally posted by lamontb:
These dudes are stubborn. don't be surprised to see Burford still being blown up when Banks is back. Plus let's use some caution on guys having one great performance. It was just a few weeks ago when ppl wanted Moore to take over at RT. Then in his 2nd game the dude got destroyed.

I kinda disagree. I mean Burford was splitting reps with brunskill all last yr. I wouldn't be shocked if they started doing that.
That's been a real concern of mine for quite a while. Nobody to challenge dudes like Tomlinson, Garland, Brendel, Brunskill, Person, McGlinchey, McKivitz and Burford.

Competition and stacking talent is never a bad thing. The FO is great on that at other positions for sure. But with OL and Secondary, not so much so we are forced to keep rearranging the deck on the Titanic and injuries = immediate losses.

Maybe this is the off season ShanaLynch change their team building strategy now that they've addressed their primary positions and have got them to (their) standard: QB, DL, LB, TE, RB, FB, WR, S, ST.

I get what you're saying, but I mean who competed with Wirfs in TB? Slater in LC. Any of NY's OTs or the countless OL drafted and started early?

colton has been competing since he got here. I'm with you in that we should be stacking up OL every draft and developing. I don't think the guys who are currently starting we're just given the starting gig though.

True but those guys were drafted in the first round to be clear starters. The dudes I noted are just JAGs.

I kinda disagree. I mean Burford was splitting reps with brunskill all last yr. I wouldn't be shocked if they started doing that.

Kyle did note too that they were looking to get Feliciano more reps before Banks got hurt. So I'm guessing that target was for RG.
Is it ironic that Brunskill is a better RG than Burford and might be a better RT than McKivitz ?
Getting Banks back and moving Feliciano to the RG spot would help a lot and maybe Moore can replace McK??

100% they're going to do that soon.

Maybe Moore takes over for Mckivits too.

They had Burford splitting last year so this isn't a stretch.

Kyle did note too that they were looking to get Feliciano more reps before Banks got hurt. So I'm guessing that target was for RG.

Yup

They had Burford splitting last year so this isn't a stretch.

Yup. But lamontb does have a point. I could see zero changes made too because of how locked in Foerster is with his system as a whole. He almost needs a check from Lynch: "Hey, I know how many hours you've put into X and Y working together but I'm seeing this guy over here who might have more talent. Can we give that guy a try even if it means we dumb things down a bit to start?"

Posted on Reddit. Would probably be a good idea for the 49ers to go looking for at least a couple tackles in the next draft.
Share 49ersWebzone