There are 194 users in the forums

Niners draft Colton McKivitz | OT West Virginia

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Posted on Reddit. Would probably be a good idea for the 49ers to go looking for at least a couple tackles in the next draft.

Do you believe ShanaLynch will actually use the high capitol on T?

If the right player is available they can. Remember that did draft McGlinchey with a top 10 pick.

I ask because they only did that because they had a trade in place for Brown if MM was there. Meaning, they only did that because there would be a clear hole. This regime hasn't exactly been big on stacking talent but more about drafting players specifically when a hole opens up....Banks for Tomlinson. McGlinchey for Brown. Burford for Brunskill. They punted on Richburg/Mack in the draft.

They bring in a bunch of JAG's because they know they won't threaten starters.

My point is, will they really draft a T to be proactive or wait until Trent Williams (like Staley) tells them he's hanging it up?

History tells me they won't cross that bridge until it actually happens.

"So we're in this situation, we knew (Alex) Mack had a chance to leave, but you don't want to take that risk. Just stockpiling other players when you can do that at other positions." ~ Kyle Shanahan

I mean that's what most teams do

After they got Williams/McG u expected them to spent another 1st round pick on a tackle lol?

I'm sure OL now, especially PP will be a big emphasis in the offseason. We have a very good QB now so gotta protect him.

And before there was little need for elite PP guys since we basically ran a one read passing offense.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

Posted on Reddit. Would probably be a good idea for the 49ers to go looking for at least a couple tackles in the next draft.

If the right player is available they can. Remember that did draft McGlinchey with a top 10 pick.

I ask because they only did that because they had a trade in place for Brown if MM was there. Meaning, they only did that because there would be a clear hole. This regime hasn't exactly been big on stacking talent but more about drafting players specifically when a hole opens up....Banks for Tomlinson. McGlinchey for Brown. Burford for Brunskill. They punted on Richburg/Mack in the draft.

My point is, will they really draft a T to be proactive or wait until Trent Williams (like Staley) tells them he's hanging it up?

"So we're in this situation, we knew (Alex) Mack had a chance to leave, but you don't want to take that risk. Just stockpiling other players when you can do that at other positions." ~ Kyle Shanahan

After they got Williams/McG u expected them to spent another 1st round pick on a tackle lol?

I'm sure OL now, especially PP will be a big emphasis in the offseason. We have a very good QB now so gotta protect him.

And before there was little need for elite PP guys since we basically ran a one read passing offense.

We have said next year for awhile but with the way Brock throws and with there being so few but obvious weaknesses on the team, we will know for all time what Kyle thinks of the position. There are tackles and centers to be had. Can also get a developmental guard..
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

We have said next year for awhile but with the way Brock throws and with there being so few but obvious weaknesses on the team, we will know for all time what Kyle thinks of the position. There are tackles and centers to be had. Can also get a developmental guard..

For real. I'm hopeful every year but every year it goes back to Kyle's own words. But maybe year 8 is that year?

that's what it is NC, TW and the Jags
I think it all comes down to this, will TW be healthy / active when it counts
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
that's what it is NC, TW and the Jags
I think it all comes down to this, will TW be healthy / active when it counts

Well his health has already proven to be a game changer for us. He's just special.
Why would Shanahan invest in the o-line when he's beating everybody with Dollar Tree O-linemen?

Seems like he just needs a big time left tackle and he's got that.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Why would Shanahan invest in the o-line when he's beating everybody with Dollar Tree O-linemen?

Seems like he just needs a big time left tackle and he's got that.
OL has made it's way to being next in line to be upgraded .. but are there any guys who can be drafted as out right starters ?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
OL has made it's way to being next in line to be upgraded .. but are there any guys who can be drafted as out right starters ?

I agree the OL is next up to be upgraded and this next draft has some good tackles.
Originally posted by miked1978:

I agree the OL is next up to be upgraded and this next draft has some good tackles.

You will get a first round defensive lineman and you will like it!

Originally posted by Waterbear:

You will get a first round defensive lineman and you will like it!

For the 8th year in a row, I will

For real. I'm hopeful every year but every year it goes back to Kyle's own words. But maybe year 8 is that year?

He clearly has his priorities,but there is legitimately very little else. We need a run stuffer, slot and outside corners, maybe a deep threat receiver/returner, running back to replace Mitchell (and Price), and edge rusher/DE (I can't see Randy Gregory being here next year).

Save for the corner position, none of these require day 1 or 2 picks because we are talking depth here. None of these guys will be starters. The ONLY thing that can be justified on day 1 and 2 is OL along with corner. That's it. Every other spot has been more than covered. We lost an All-Pro safety for the year and no one is panicking because we have a rookie ready to go. No team in the NFL can sustain injuries and keep it rolling the way we can. I'm saying all this to say, we have an unusual amount of depth so how can this not be the year to really stock up on OL and corner?
He clearly has his priorities,but there is legitimately very little else. We need a run stuffer, slot and outside corners, maybe a deep threat receiver/returner, running back to replace Mitchell (and Price), and edge rusher/DE (I can't see Randy Gregory being here next year).

Save for the corner position, none of these require day 1 or 2 picks because we are talking depth here. None of these guys will be starters. The ONLY thing that can be justified on day 1 and 2 is OL along with corner. That's it. Every other spot has been more than covered. We lost an All-Pro safety for the year and no one is panicking because we have a rookie ready to go. No team in the NFL can sustain injuries and keep it rolling the way we can. I'm saying all this to say, we have an unusual amount of depth so how can this not be the year to really stock up on OL and corner?

Zero chance they'll draft a corner in rd 1 or 2.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Zero chance they'll draft a corner in rd 1 or 2.

I don't want them to in round 1. It should be a tackle. Corner should be round 2. The only argument can't be they never have done it. They never drafted an interior OL until they did in 2021 with Aaron Banks. Is there any other reason as to why they won't draft a corner in round 2 besides past history?
I don't want them to in round 1. It should be a tackle. Corner should be round 2. The only argument can't be they never have done it. They never drafted an interior OL until they did in 2021 with Aaron Banks. Is there any other reason as to why they won't draft a corner in round 2 besides past history?

Yah 7 years of it. Only team in the NFL to not take one in that timeframe.
Share 49ersWebzone