There are 190 users in the forums

Niners draft Colton McKivitz | OT West Virginia

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I don't want them to in round 1. It should be a tackle. Corner should be round 2. The only argument can't be they never have done it. They never drafted an interior OL until they did in 2021 with Aaron Banks. Is there any other reason as to why they won't draft a corner in round 2 besides past history?

Yah 7 years of it. Only team in the NFL to not take one in that timeframe.

Sooo...past history. Got it.

Again, they never drafted an IOL olineman early until they did it. Can't say they don't value corner because they paid top dollar for Ward and Sherman. We'll see this year because as its been laid out, there is no greater need. If they passed on it and took a guard or center instead after a 1st round tackle, I can forgive that because we at least have starters at the position. Any other position gets drafted in the 2nd round and I'm
KEEVO improving !! HE getting there !! HE gettin there !!!
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Sooo...past history. Got it.

Again, they never drafted an IOL olineman early until they did it. Can't say they don't value corner because they paid top dollar for Ward and Sherman. We'll see this year because as its been laid out, there is no greater need. If they passed on it and took a guard or center instead after a 1st round tackle, I can forgive that because we at least have starters at the position. Any other position gets drafted in the 2nd round and I'm

Even so interior OL doesn't necessarily demand a 1 or 2. Much harder to find top level corners outside the top 2 rounds generally.

Ward and Sherman weren't top dollar. More mid level signings. I honestly expect a value cb to be signed more than anything.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Posted on Reddit. Would probably be a good idea for the 49ers to go looking for at least a couple tackles in the next draft.

Do you believe ShanaLynch will actually use the high capitol on T?

If the right player is available they can. Remember that did draft McGlinchey with a top 10 pick.

I ask because they only did that because they had a trade in place for Brown if MM was there. Meaning, they only did that because there would be a clear hole. This regime hasn't exactly been big on stacking talent but more about drafting players specifically when a hole opens up....Banks for Tomlinson. McGlinchey for Brown. Burford for Brunskill. They punted on Richburg/Mack in the draft.

They bring in a bunch of JAG's because they know they won't threaten starters.

My point is, will they really draft a T to be proactive or wait until Trent Williams (like Staley) tells them he's hanging it up?

History tells me they won't cross that bridge until it actually happens.

"So we're in this situation, we knew (Alex) Mack had a chance to leave, but you don't want to take that risk. Just stockpiling other players when you can do that at other positions." ~ Kyle Shanahan

I mean that's what most teams do

After they got Williams/McG u expected them to spent another 1st round pick on a tackle lol?

I'm sure OL now, especially PP will be a big emphasis in the offseason. We have a very good QB now so gotta protect him.

And before there was little need for elite PP guys since we basically ran a one read passing offense.
I think it's fair to say we have finally found the franchise QB we have been looking for. We need to protect him. Can't pass on a franchise tackle this year, especially since Trent has already hinted at considering hanging it up last offseason. We probably have 2 years left of him max. Not because of decline in play obviously but just ready to call it quits.
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Posted on Reddit. Would probably be a good idea for the 49ers to go looking for at least a couple tackles in the next draft.

Do you believe ShanaLynch will actually use the high capitol on T?

If the right player is available they can. Remember that did draft McGlinchey with a top 10 pick.

I ask because they only did that because they had a trade in place for Brown if MM was there. Meaning, they only did that because there would be a clear hole. This regime hasn't exactly been big on stacking talent but more about drafting players specifically when a hole opens up....Banks for Tomlinson. McGlinchey for Brown. Burford for Brunskill. They punted on Richburg/Mack in the draft.

They bring in a bunch of JAG's because they know they won't threaten starters.

My point is, will they really draft a T to be proactive or wait until Trent Williams (like Staley) tells them he's hanging it up?

History tells me they won't cross that bridge until it actually happens.

"So we're in this situation, we knew (Alex) Mack had a chance to leave, but you don't want to take that risk. Just stockpiling other players when you can do that at other positions." ~ Kyle Shanahan

I mean that's what most teams do

After they got Williams/McG u expected them to spent another 1st round pick on a tackle lol?

I'm sure OL now, especially PP will be a big emphasis in the offseason. We have a very good QB now so gotta protect him.

And before there was little need for elite PP guys since we basically ran a one read passing offense.
I think it's fair to say we have finally found the franchise QB we have been looking for. We need to protect him. Can't pass on a franchise tackle this year, especially since Trent has already hinted at considering hanging it up last offseason. We probably have 2 years left of him max. Not because of decline in play obviously but just ready to call it quits.

AIN'T NO FRANCHISE.... B-Rock just plain Steady PURDY !!!

WOOOOOOOOOO !!!
We should train him to legally false start on passing downs. Perhaps not this season but during the off season, unless the rule change.
[ Edited by libertyforever on Dec 3, 2023 at 4:15 PM ]
We should train him to legally false start on passing downs. Perhaps not this season but during the off season, unless the rule change.

Seriously. It's the equivalent of the old holdings the Legion of Douche used to do. They're only going to call maybe one a game. Early start FTW.
They are drafting an OT in the first round. It's too obvious for everyone that this is the needed pick. McKivitz just ain't it.
He's improving BUT not nearly enough.
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
They are drafting an OT in the first round. It's too obvious for everyone that this is the needed pick. McKivitz just ain't it.

They will draft OT in the first round to replace retiring Trent Williams. I just have this feeling Williams will be hanging it up after this season.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
He's improving BUT not nearly enough.

Originally posted by fanmusclecars:

They will draft OT in the first round to replace retiring Trent Williams. I just have this feeling Williams will be hanging it up after this season.

I don't see Trent retiring yet after how he's still moving and playing.
Originally posted by illinois9er:
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:

I don't see Trent retiring yet after how he's still moving and playing.

Agreed. TW will give us 2 more years. Now we gotta upgrade Mckivitz ASAP
We are as good as our weakest link
Against good pass rush he gives too much pressures
If our passing game doesnt dominate the lions he probably will be the big reason losing his matchups with hutchinson
  • titan
  • Veteran
This dude will be isolated with Hutchinson. Lets hope the run game and Purdy are locked in.
Share 49ersWebzone