Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 253 users in the forums

Niners draft Colton McKivitz | OT West Virginia

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Yep, and that's how he's paid. Definitely a spot for him on our team, but not as starter

Yup. He's paid like a backup for a reason.
Anyone wanting him as a backup remember burford was the backup in the SB and look how that went.
He was tied for giving up the most sacks by a RT.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 49erFaithfullest:
Originally posted by mcwoot:
Why is Colton getting so much flack what did he do this year that was so bad? He was pretty reliable and I didn't see much holding or false starts on his end.

He was a big downgrade in the run game from McG without adding any better pass blocking. I will say he performed much better next to Feliciano than Burford.

Mckivitz performed way better than McGlinchey especially in pass protection. Dude above saying he sucks but I really haven't noticed anything bad with Colton and I watch every game more than once. It would be nice to get the views that JTO gets from QB school but point being is Colton is a solid starter. No sacks, holding or false starts I'm content

McGlinchey performed better in PBLK and RBLK according to PFF…if you factor in cash, then Colton is a much better value.

they need to upgraded the right side of the OL. Hopefully they get an IOL that has the ability to be the future center.

Colton is a below avg starter on a Super Bowl roster. We should want better there. He's a good backup and will have plenty of years in the NFL as that.

according to pff...I don't know what games they were watching or the countless holding and false starts. Better at run blocking I can see according to my eyes.

I agree they need to improve the right guard in particular, I mean Burford got benched for a reason. Colton developed well and performed reliable in the playoffs is all I'm saying.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Anyone wanting him as a backup remember burford was the backup in the SB and look how that went.

So all backups equal Spencer Burford?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I don't recall Colton giving up any sacks in the playoffs or the super bowl.
This guy was just as serviceable as McGlinchey, which isn't saying much. Anyone thinking he was going to be better was tripping. We need a clear upgrade across 2 maybe 3 spots on the o-line. RT and RG first and foremost. This should be a priority this time around, considering we're set at most other positions across the board.

Obviously, the D-Line can continue to get bolstered as well and maybe a little bit of secondary help. That's where I feel like all the focus should go in the draft, albeit a special skill position talent, if the board plays out that way. Give me O-Line and D-Line early. Sprinkle in some DBs and then go BPA the last few rounds.
Originally posted by Howlett49:
This guy was just as serviceable as McGlinchey, which isn't saying much. Anyone thinking he was going to be better was tripping. We need a clear upgrade across 2 maybe 3 spots on the o-line. RT and RG first and foremost. This should be a priority this time around, considering we're set at most other positions across the board.

Obviously, the D-Line can continue to get bolstered as well and maybe a little bit of secondary help. That's where I feel like all the focus should go in the draft, albeit a special skill position talent, if the board plays out that way. Give me O-Line and D-Line early. Sprinkle in some DBs and then go BPA the last few rounds.

McGlinchey was a top tier tackle when it came to run blocking. If his pass blocking had been at least acceptable they wouldn't have let him go. Unfortunately his pass blocking was as bad as his run blocking was good.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Feb 24, 2024 at 10:01 AM ]
Originally posted by Howlett49:

Totally wrong on that. We can no longer run to the right McGlinchey was the difference. With that said, we definitely need an upgrade. If we had a top 30 pass protector and run blocker (that still isn't great), that would be HUGE.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Originally posted by lamontb:
This. He has value as the first OT off the bench.

Yep, and that's how he's paid. Definitely a spot for him on our team, but not as starter

Welcome back, French!

Unless he makes a significant improvement, he oughta be replaced.......... unless Shannanigans

He sucks and Burford was demoted for a reason. That was like a training camp level mistake imo. Two guys have 95 across from them and ignored him. Something is very wrong with the o line. That play was so bad I've honestly wondered if Burford did it on purpose.

If you are cool going back out there with McKivitz we will be having this same conversation next year.

He sucks and Burford was demoted for a reason. That was like a training camp level mistake imo. Two guys have 95 across from them and ignored him. Something is very wrong with the o line. That play was so bad I've honestly wondered if Burford did it on purpose.

If you are cool going back out there with McKivitz we will be having this same conversation next year.

Didn't Brock get injured last season vs. Eagles when the right side OLine blew it?

I just re-watched the right side of the OLine getting shredded by KC.

We were lucky Purdy wasn't injured again.

And if we don't drastically improve it we're in for trouble - again!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Didn't Brock get injured last season vs. Eagles when the right side OLine blew it?

I just re-watched the right side of the OLine getting shredded by KC.

We were lucky Purdy wasn't injured again.

And if we don't drastically improve it we're in for trouble - again!

You see the light my brother.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by mcwoot:
Why is Colton getting so much flack what did he do this year that was so bad? He was pretty reliable and I didn't see much holding or false starts on his end.

He was a big downgrade in the run game from McG without adding any better pass blocking. I will say he performed much better next to Feliciano than Burford.

Mckivitz performed way better than McGlinchey especially in pass protection. Dude above saying he sucks but I really haven't noticed anything bad with Colton and I watch every game more than once. It would be nice to get the views that JTO gets from QB school but point being is Colton is a solid starter. No sacks, holding or false starts I'm content

McGlinchey performed better in PBLK and RBLK according to PFF…if you factor in cash, then Colton is a much better value.

they need to upgraded the right side of the OL. Hopefully they get an IOL that has the ability to be the future center.

Colton is a below avg starter on a Super Bowl roster. We should want better there. He's a good backup and will have plenty of years in the NFL as that.

according to pff...I don't know what games they were watching or the countless holding and false starts. Better at run blocking I can see according to my eyes.

I agree they need to improve the right guard in particular, I mean Burford got benched for a reason. Colton developed well and performed reliable in the playoffs is all I'm saying.

I wouldn't mind keeping Feliciano as our RG. He should be able to provide solid play for another 2-3 years.

C/RT would be priority #1
Share 49ersWebzone