There are 236 users in the forums

Niners draft Colton McKivitz | OT West Virginia

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erFaithfullest:
I want a tackle in the draft but have been saying Mckivitz is not that bad as he didn't give up a sack in the playoffs. People just say he sucks when imo I take his play over Mcglinchy all day and yes I know Mcglinchy was a good run blocker

You talk to your wife about football? Does she even pretend to care?
Originally posted by Rathof44:
Yeah, the Chase Young deal, the second 3rd rounder goes to Wash. Not sure he was worth the 3rd rounder, but win some, lose some.

OTC projected us netting a 3rd rounder for losing Handsome Jimmy last year; we got a 4th rounder for him instead. #132 instead of the 90s. So we have 3 top 100 picks, and I still expect one of them to be for a RT.

McKivitz moves to swing tackle; if the draft pick is a bust (which isn't unheard of) or gets injured, and we find ourselves in need for a RT in 2025, the options would've been to pay a lot more money for McKivitz (since he now has the leverage), or even more money for not that much better options, at the same time that we're paying Purdy.

Things will have gone poorly if McKivitz is our starting RT in 2025; but there are actually worse outcomes than that, and this signing avoids those even worse outcomes.
McKivitz is starting at RT next season. That is a 100% guarantee. You don't extend a player you are planning to be on the bench or function as a swing tackle. They must really see something in him...
Much ado about nothing.

Unless he ends up starting at RT. And that is a very real option under this regime.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
McKivitz is starting at RT next season. That is a 100% guarantee. You don't extend a player you are planning to be on the bench or function as a swing tackle. They must really see something in him...

We need to look up the definition of 100% and guarantee lol...

His extension also opens up enough cap space that we needed to be over per NFL rules.

It's 4.5 mil guaranteed, that's very close to the going rate of a swing tackle anyways. If we don't draft a T early or look into FA for a T (Tyron Smith ) I would be very surprised.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

His extension also opens up enough cap space that we needed to be over per NFL rules.

It's 4.5 mil guaranteed, that's very close to the going rate of a swing tackle anyways. If we don't draft a T early or look into FA for a T (Tyron Smith ) I would be very surprised.

I hope you're right!
I'm good with Mckivitz as a backup bc he can play LT, LG, RG, RT if needed. I'm also ok with him being the starting RG. I don't hate him being the fallback RT if the draft doesn't fall the way they want..... But if there plan on March 8th is for him to be locked in as starting RT I would be disappointed
Originally posted by NCommand:

I hope you're right!

Tyron Smith?

Yeah so much so that it's a one year deal!!!

I hope you're right!

Tyron Smith?

I'm never opposed to adding more talent to this unit! It too, by default, would create better depth which can't be understated with our injury history here.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 8, 2024 at 5:27 PM ]

I hope you're right!

Tyron Smith?

He hasn't been too healthy the last few years ?
Originally posted by mitpdub:

I hope you're right!

Tyron Smith?

He hasn't been too healthy the last few years ?

Nobody has been on that Cowboy's OL for years and years. Loads of talent though.

We will see. Unless one of the top-tier offensive tackles drops to us I don't see us making a change or going to FA.
This was dumb. He sucked all last season and we way overspent on this bum
McKivitz isn't the problem. Brendel is.
I sure hope we draft a Center.
Share 49ersWebzone