There are 218 users in the forums

Niners draft Colton McKivitz | OT West Virginia

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Brendel, Burford, and Mckivitz at RT are all equally terrible and at least 2 should be replaced this Offseason. That being said Mckivitz has value as a backup swing tackle and guard. So I'm good with resigning him in that role or as a stop gap guard
[ Edited by Brucey72 on Mar 9, 2024 at 1:46 PM ]
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Good post. This has been explained to him before though, facts don't matter however.

LOL. You're blind a/f. Like Hoov and the other small remaining fools. All 3 of you.

"HEy gUIs, OUR OL wAS gOOd EnOUGH BuT LEt'S draFT thE BEst Ol noW ANd GeT TYrOn SMitH In Fa!"

You've fought with at least 30 ppl regarding this. Idk if you just get too wasted and forget, but it's a long ass line of people who've called you out.

Ya of course we need to upgrade the OL. What you want to upgrade? QB? DL? LBs? WRs? TEs? OL played alright all year, didn't you move them to TIER 2 at one point lol? Didn't you also say Chiefs or uS can't win it all bc of the OL? 😂

RT was a weak spot, did anyone ever argue against this? You just live in your little fantasy world where if you don't have 5 all pros on the OL and don't spend 1st round picks on OL every year then you can't win.

Called me out for being 100% accurate on this topic in the end...for YEARS.

🤡

Imagine still trying to convince others the OL was good enough.

We had one of the best offense production in the history of this team. We were a couple plays away from winning the SB. How the f**k do you accomplish that with a terrible OL?

Clown is correct.

Whatever you need to tell yourself to not look like a 🤡 for the 7th year in a row.

Not got enough.

Very solid though. Joy.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Much ado about nothing.

Unless he ends up starting at RT. And that is a very real option under this regime.

I won't be surprised when him and Burford are starting

If that happens the season is lost and the superbowl window slams shut.
So in 2019 they rolled out Mike Person and Brunskill. Both guys were trash. Brunskill developed into being serviceable but is now gone. Now we have Burford and Feliciano. Burford is trash and Feliciano is just serviceable. Stuck in the same exact spot 5 years later. History can't repeat it self here. They must improve the right side and center.

This. Great post sspike. But you're missing the end results after 7 full off seasons.

Williams is legit but he simply replaced Staley. You're not adding Williams TO Staley. We've gone from the standards of Richburg to Mack to Brendel. We've gone from Person to Compton to Feliciano/Burford? McGlinchey to McKivitz? Tomlinson to Banks (on his final year)?

You're completely missing the point and are living in the past.

This team has actually regressed or stayed the same in the OL in every position since 2019. 7 years!!!

Obviously you started to "get it" from 2023 on but the pattern remains exactly the same.

Meanwhile, they've spent every resource under the sun for the DL. A position that doesn't win Superbowls anymore.

In the end, I hope your theory is accurate in that they're finally going to treat the OL like the DL when it comes to team building. Call me skeptical. Obviously.

But if they do, it'll make all the difference in the world!

Williams > Staley. Banks >Tomlinson. Brendel < Mack and Richburg. Burford < Brunskill/Person. McKivitz < McGlinchey.

Definitely a net negative. They have tried, particularly at center and have been snakebitten with Richburg and Mack. I think what they have done on the right side is try and fail. They have used picks (Moore, Burford, Zakelj, McKivitz), but out of the four, we can't say any of them are actually decent. Although high picks haven't been invested in OL often, we have seen teams with good O lines get production out of late picks. I said in an earlier post what we do on O line is anti competitive. Those guys are given jobs with no threat of competition.

I disagree about DL winning Super Bowls. You need both :). DL (our opponents)has showed up big in every one of our playoff losses. Had we won the Super Bowl, lots of credit would've been given to the D line for how they were murdering the Chiefs for 3 quarters (sounds familiar). The offense failed to score enough when they had the Chiefs down (also familiar) .

We have some elite QB play. We just need average, freaking average pass and run blocking. Take a guy like Zach Frazier and he starts day 1 at RG. Can move over to center in 2025 or 2026. Get a tackle in the 2nd or 3rd to compete at RT. Have some real competition on that OL and everyone's lives will be easier.

Haha. Good one!

Agreed on the OL assessment (marginal better with TW and Banks). They clearly aren't the issue other than consistency with Banks.

You know I'm a huge trench guy. As much as I want to still believe in the DL, I just can't anymore. Ideally, I'm with you...you need both but it's such a different league now esp. in the Superbowl when unit pass protection is allowed to neutralize the pass rush by any means necessary.

Always love your plans!
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 9, 2024 at 1:56 PM ]
Originally posted by Brucey72:
Brendel, Burford, and Mckivitz at RT are all equally terrible and at least 2 should be replaced this Offseason. That being said Mckivitz has value as a backup swing tackle and guard. So I'm good with resigning him in that role or as a stop gap guard

Exactly!
Much ado about nothing.

Unless he ends up starting at RT. And that is a very real option under this regime.

So in 2019 they rolled out Mike Person and Brunskill. Both guys were trash. Brunskill developed into being serviceable but is now gone. Now we have Burford and Feliciano. Burford is trash and Feliciano is just serviceable. Stuck in the same exact spot 5 years later. History can't repeat it self here. They must improve the right side and center.

This. Great post sspike. But you're missing the end results after 7 full off seasons.

Williams is legit but he simply replaced Staley. You're not adding Williams TO Staley. We've gone from the standards of Richburg to Mack to Brendel. We've gone from Person to Compton to Feliciano/Burford? McGlinchey to McKivitz? Tomlinson to Banks (on his final year)?

This team has actually regressed or stayed the same in the OL in every position since 2019. 7 years!!!

Obviously you started to "get it" from 2023 on but the pattern remains exactly the same.

Meanwhile, they've spent every resource under the sun for the DL. A position that doesn't win Superbowls anymore.

In the end, I hope your theory is accurate in that they're finally going to treat the OL like the DL when it comes to team building. Call me skeptical. Obviously.

Williams > Staley. Banks >Tomlinson. Brendel < Mack and Richburg. Burford < Brunskill/Person. McKivitz < McGlinchey.

Definitely a net negative. They have tried, particularly at center and have been snakebitten with Richburg and Mack. I think what they have done on the right side is try and fail. They have used picks (Moore, Burford, Zakelj, McKivitz), but out of the four, we can't say any of them are actually decent. Although high picks haven't been invested in OL often, we have seen teams with good O lines get production out of late picks. I said in an earlier post what we do on O line is anti competitive. Those guys are given jobs with no threat of competition.

I disagree about DL winning Super Bowls. You need both :). DL (our opponents)has showed up big in every one of our playoff losses. Had we won the Super Bowl, lots of credit would've been given to the D line for how they were murdering the Chiefs for 3 quarters (sounds familiar). The offense failed to score enough when they had the Chiefs down (also familiar) .

We have some elite QB play. We just need average, freaking average pass and run blocking. Take a guy like Zach Frazier and he starts day 1 at RG. Can move over to center in 2025 or 2026. Get a tackle in the 2nd or 3rd to compete at RT. Have some real competition on that OL and everyone's lives will be easier.

Haha. Good one!

Agreed on the OL assessment (marginal better with TW and Banks). They clearly aren't the issue other than consistency with Banks.

You know I'm a huge trench guy. As much as I want to still believe in the DL, I just can't anymore. Ideally, I'm with you...you need both but it's such a different league now esp. in the Superbowl when unit pass protection is allowed to neutralize the pass rush by any means necessary.

Always love your plans!

I still believe in DL. But other ingredients are needed. Example, imagine our offense scores say 13 points on the first three drives of the 3rd quarter. Not exactly offensive explosion, but it is three scores. How does the D-line look knowing we are up 23 - 3 as opposed to 10 - 3 halfway through the 3rd? Because of rules favoring the offense it is bonkers to think a defense will just hold an offense, all by themselves, all game to 10 or less. Not a great team and certainly not an all time great team like the Chiefs. You have to keep scoring. We have not against the Chiefs twice and then also the Rams. I certainly love the idea of an elite DL destroying an offense. But the reality is, they need help from the offense because the rules and the refs are working against them.

I'm hoping they draft a guard (a longshot) because at 31. We can take the 7th to 10th best tackle, the 2nd or 3rd best guard, or the 1st or 2nd best center. The latter two likely will be better players than the first and most likely BPA at that point. A tackle in the 2nd or 3rd also still has a chance to beat out McKivitz. Would love to see them duplicate the 2010 draft and come away with two immediate starters on the right side.
You have to be blind to not think we need immediate OL help. Blitz protection failures don't help matters but they are not consistent. They only seem to surface on big games at key moments. The o line failures are consistent. Purdy will not be around long if they don't fix it. Can't win games from the sideline or on your back..
I doubt we do anything in FA to significantly upgrade the OL but I would love to grab Hunt and draft a RT.

I know he was our back up C but not sure Feliciano would beat out Brendal in that situation. Would be great if he did though.
Much ado about nothing.

Haha. Good one!

Always love your plans!

I still believe in DL. But other ingredients are needed. Example, imagine our offense scores say 13 points on the first three drives of the 3rd quarter. Not exactly offensive explosion, but it is three scores. How does the D-line look knowing we are up 23 - 3 as opposed to 10 - 3 halfway through the 3rd? Because of rules favoring the offense it is bonkers to think a defense will just hold an offense, all by themselves, all game to 10 or less. Not a great team and certainly not an all time great team like the Chiefs. You have to keep scoring. We have not against the Chiefs twice and then also the Rams. I certainly love the idea of an elite DL destroying an offense. But the reality is, they need help from the offense because the rules and the refs are working against them.

I'm hoping they draft a guard (a longshot) because at 31. We can take the 7th to 10th best tackle, the 2nd or 3rd best guard, or the 1st or 2nd best center. The latter two likely will be better players than the first and most likely BPA at that point. A tackle in the 2nd or 3rd also still has a chance to beat out McKivitz. Would love to see them duplicate the 2010 draft and come away with two immediate starters on the right side.

Oh, for sure...you're describing perfectly how they play off each other. And even if the defense starts to cave late in games d/t fatigue, an inability to close, penalties, scheme, etc. the offense can still do more on the front end to make it easier for them to close. Like you said, we've seen that numerous times (with the 10 point curse).

I love where your head is at. I'm all for a C/G too with 31 for that very reason!

Maybe at center but no guard. I don't want Barton or any other conversion and the actual true guards aren't worth the spot.
Much ado about nothing.

Yes that's exactly what they need to do priority 1. We have some weakness in the secondary to address as well, along with a LB to replace Greenlaw until he returns. They can get back ups on the D line like they have done well the past 2 years. This is probably the last year of this superbowl window if we don't draft extremely well
[ Edited by bassmanr on Mar 9, 2024 at 3:14 PM ]

Yes that's exactly what they need to do priority 1. We have some weakness in the secondary to address as well, along with a LB to replace Greenlaw until he returns. They can get back ups on the D line like they have done well the past 2 years. This is probably the last year of this superbowl window if we don't draft extremely well

Depends on whether Purdy takes the next step. His development is the key to the SB window. And that goes beyond just being protected better.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Depends on whether Purdy takes the next step. His development is the key to the SB window. And that goes beyond just being protected better.

The second post I agree with. After this year though Brock will have to carry this team. We have to many free agents and holes to fill if we don't draft well. We need to give Brock just a little more time and he will take the next step IMO.
Good post. This has been explained to him before though, facts don't matter however.

LOL. You're blind a/f. Like Hoov and the other small remaining fools. All 3 of you.

"HEy gUIs, OUR OL wAS gOOd EnOUGH BuT LEt'S draFT thE BEst Ol noW ANd GeT TYrOn SMitH In Fa!"

You've fought with at least 30 ppl regarding this. Idk if you just get too wasted and forget, but it's a long ass line of people who've called you out.

Ya of course we need to upgrade the OL. What you want to upgrade? QB? DL? LBs? WRs? TEs? OL played alright all year, didn't you move them to TIER 2 at one point lol? Didn't you also say Chiefs or uS can't win it all bc of the OL? 😂

RT was a weak spot, did anyone ever argue against this? You just live in your little fantasy world where if you don't have 5 all pros on the OL and don't spend 1st round picks on OL every year then you can't win.

🤡

We had one of the best offense production in the history of this team. We were a couple plays away from winning the SB. How the f**k do you accomplish that with a terrible OL?

Clown is correct.

Brandon Thorne had our OL #5 overall when the playoffs began,...and he made it a rule on this forum that we can only consult Brandon Thorne for any and all OLine comparisons and discussion.

So how does he forget the rule he made,...that had us #5 overall on the OL and the Chiefs below the required #1 Overall,...oops,...I mean Tier 1 standard?

#5 overall (by his own set rules) is terrible? How?

Can someone also ask him how can a person be right about an argument for 8 years running when the argument changes on a monthly basis?
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
You have to be blind to not think we need immediate OL help. Blitz protection failures don't help matters but they are not consistent. They only seem to surface on big games at key moments. The o line failures are consistent. Purdy will not be around long if they don't fix it. Can't win games from the sideline or on your back..

We were going to seek OL help whether we won the SB or lost.

That being said, would you care to make a list of the position on the team where we could not use immediate help?
[ Edited by random49er on Mar 9, 2024 at 4:37 PM ]
Originally posted by random49er:

🤡

Clown is correct.

Brandon Thorne had our OL #5 overall when the playoffs began,...and he made it a rule on this forum that we can only consult Brandon Thorne for any and all OLine comparisons and discussion.

So how does he forget the rule he made,...that had us #5 overall on the OL and the Chiefs below the required #1 Overall,...oops,...I mean Tier 1 standard?

#5 overall (by his own set rules) is terrible? How?

Can someone also ask him how can a person be right about an argument for 8 years running when the argument changes on a monthly basis?

It's pointless, just let him rant about his usual bs takes. Not worth responding back anymore.
Share 49ersWebzone