LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Retired 49er Greats

Shop Find 49ers gear online
How do you add an official tag to a thread title?

Always felt we should have a thread dedicated for former 9er players. Either for posting random old pics, or for questions asked/answered.

Anyway, congrats Tom!

Love it. One of my top 5 favourite 49ers of all time.
Always love Rathman, a beast, I was bummed when he wasn't kept around as a our backs coach, but we got a good one in Turner. But Rathman was one of the best.
Originally posted by Afrikan:

Anything for Tom.
There is something magical about that era (camelot) of the 49ers and those players... specifically the uniforms. Obviously I'm a biased Niner fan, but they evoke the same emotion as seeing a superhero costume. This thread will be great!
Congratulations Woody!!

I especially loved reading Frank Gore's message to him. Fantastic coach and player.

My all time favorite description of Rathman came from Merlin Olson on the Super Bowl XXIII TV broadcast. He was describing the differences in running styles between Craig and Rathman.

"If you go high on Craig, he'll kick you off with that patented high running style of his.

You go high on Rathman, he'll break your head off."

If that's not an apt description for how Tom Rathman played the game, I don't know what is.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Dudes knees were straight gone after that block!

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Gonna give this play the AA type of breakdowns.

44 looks confused, blocks nobody, pushes his own guys in the back (wrong team dummy), has 3 different guys he could block, wiffs on all of them almost getting his QB killed, not seen rest of play, probably tackled his own guy.
  • thl408
This needs to be on page 1 just because
too early to add JG here?
Growing up in the 80's and 90's it was difficult not to think winning was just the way it was as a 49ers fan.

Then as the 90's closed and we entered the 2000's it became clear that the success we previously enjoyed was the anomaly.

A lot of s**t has to go right, and once upon a time it did for the 49ers.

Has gone partially right about four times for the 49ers in the 21st century, but not close enough to fully right.
Originally posted by Afrikan:

Always felt we should have a thread dedicated for former 9er players. Either for posting random old pics, or for questions asked/answered.

Anyway, congrats Tom!

Those were the days! My favorite Backfield of all time.
Share 49ersWebzone