There are 276 users in the forums

***The Forever Official 53-MAN ROSTER/DEPTH CHART/PS Thread***

Shop Find 49ers gear online
No corners on your practice squad?
My "Bold" predictions for the roster are that Jeff Wilson gets traded for a late round pick and we resign Sherman to round out the 53.
Originally posted by natrone06:
My "Bold" predictions for the roster are that Jeff Wilson gets traded for a late round pick and we resign Sherman to round out the 53.

I'd say there's little to no chance they trade Wilson, they gave him a $1.13M signing bonus, they only save $920K, it's more likely, if they trade a back, which I doubt they do with injuries happening each year, it to be Mostert, they save over $3M that could go to Sherm or Warner's extension.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Nate - paid as a PS player and likely ends up there.
James - Kyle brought Travis Benjamin in because he's got that deep X speed and is a returner and he's fired up after a year off from the opt-out. Remember how Kyle used Goodwin? I see that same role and he's a veteran. Richie got the most snaps ever at 395 last year and he's a poor run blocker and he's got more competition as a returner now. I think Kyle's done with the little slot WR...Hurd/Jennings returning as the big slot WR's in competition. Watkins replaces Bourne.
Skule - Coleman (9th OL) is just a more talented player and he's already in the building training per Lynch. Skule is just not a talented player.
Gerry - could be on for ST keeper but I think they'd like real LB/S hybrid skills (he's horrendous in coverage) and we have Azeez, Harris (convert), and two talented UDFA's competing and DFF.
Dontae - can be picked up anytime.

On these players NC.

Unless a better QB comes by, Nate should be QB3 if we keep 3, I have no faith in Rosen or Johnson to be the 3rd QB, no need to develop Rosen, when next year if/when Jimmy is gone, you pick up a vet to backup Trey & kind of mentor him.

James makes it as he has great speed, but he needs to prove it. Like I said above, if Kyle wants a vet in the locker room, just sign one to the PS.

Skule I honestly would rather go with 8 OL, with Coleman and/or Skule on the PS, you need 8 active on gamedays to have 48 active players.

Gerry I think battles with the likes of DFF, Hilliard, Sullivan, and Griffith for a LB spot, I'd only keep 4 true LBs, with guys like Harris & Hufanga being able to play S/LB hybrid role. I think MM has Harris off the roster, but I disagree, he has a good amount of GTD money, now not a lot, but when you guarantee some or all of their base salary it means you like their shots at making the 53, like with Dwelley, he's a lock, his entire $920K base salary is fully GTD.

Johnson, I think he makes the initial 53 if they want 6 CBs, but I hate the idea of having him active over Lenior or Thomas, now if we were to re-sign Sherman, than ok, but not Johnson, he did well in the slot, but I like a CB combo on gamedays of Verrett-Moseley-K'Waun-Thomas-Lenior, if we were to decide to go 6 CBs, then they'd likely go light somewhere else, but that will depend game by game.

My roster right now as I have it in my projection 1.0 on 49erscap.com, looks like this.

49ers Projected 53-Man Roster 1.0:

QB(3): 10 Jimmy Garoppolo(2022)/ 5 Trey Lance(2024)/ 7 Nate Sudfeld(2021)
RB(4): 31 Raheem Mostert(2021)/ 30 Jeff Wilson Jr.(2021)/ 28 Trey Sermon(2024)/ 49 Elijah Mitchell(2024)
FB(1): 44 Kyle Juszyzck(2025)
WR(6): 11 Brandon Aiyuk(2023)/ 19 Deebo Samuel(2022)/ 13 Richie James Jr.(2021)/ 81 Trent Sherfield(2021)/ 14 Jalen Hurd(2022)/ 7 Austin Watkins Jr.(2023)
TE(3): 85 George Kittle(2025)/ 82 Ross Dwelley(2021)/ 89 Charlie Woerner(2023)
C(2): 50 Alex Mack(2023)/ 60 Daniel Brunskill(2021)
OG(3): 75 Laken Tomlinson(2021)/ 62 Aaron Banks(2024)/ 68 Colton McKivitz(2023)
OT(4): 71 Trent Williams(2026)/ 69 Mike McGlinchey(2022)/ 67 Justin Skule(2022)/ 76 Jaylon Moore(2024)
DE(5): 97 Nick Bosa(2022)/ 91 Arik Armstead(2024)/ 56 Samson Ebukam(2022)/ 98 Arden Key(2021)/ 78 Jordan Willis(2021)/ 55 Dee Ford(2022)PUP
DT(2): 99 Javon Kinlaw(2023)/ 96 Maurice Hurst Jr.(2021)/ 90 Kevin Givens(2021)SUSPENDED
NT(2): 93 D.J. Jones(2021)/ 92 Zach Kerr(2021)
LB(4): 54 Fred Warner(2021)/ 57 Dre Greenlaw(2022)/ 51 Azeez Al-Shaair(2021)/ 58 Justin Hilliard(2023)
CB(6): 2 Jason Verrett(2021)/ 4 Emmanuel Moseley(2022)/ 24 K'Waun Williams(2021)/ 41 Ambry Thomas(2024)/ 38 Deommodore Lenior(2024)/ 27 Dontae Johnson(2021)
FS(2): 20 Jimmie Ward(2022)/ 33 Tarvarius Moore(2021)
SS(3): 26 Jaquiski Tartt(2021)/ 36 Marcell Harris(2021)/ 29 Talanoa Hufanga(2024)
ST(3): 9 Robbie Gould(2022)/ 6 Mitch Wishnowsky(2022)/ 46 Taybor Pepper(2022)

My 5 inactives right now, if healthy, would be.

QB Sudfeld
WR Watkins
RT Skule
DE Willis
CB Johnson

I'd have Ambry Thomas & Elijah Mitchell on returns, a much needed upgrade over James & Taylor IMO.

Now if Sherman re-signs, or we get another vet CB, then maybe they go light at LB, inactivate Hilliard, with Hufanga & Harris able to play LB, or if Givens or Dee are indeed on the 53, I'd have 9 active DL, I just don't know what happens with Givens, and I know from a team source that the 49ers are optimistic that Dee can play in 2021, I'd likely cut Johnson or Sudfeld at cut down day, next day place Dee on short term IR, so we don't have to wait 6 games, then re-sign whoever we cut, since that guy wouldn't go through waivers as a vested veteran.

Just an FYI, guys who are considered vested veterans on the 90 man roster are as follows.

QB Sudfeld
QB Johnson
RB Mostert
RB Gallman
FB Juice
WR Benjamin
WR Sanu
WR White
TE Kittle
C Mack
LG Tomlinson
RG Compton
LT Williams
LT Coleman
RT McGlinchey
DE Armstead
DE Ford
DE Ebukam
NT Jones
NT Kerr
MLB Gerry
CB Verrett
CB Williams
CB Johnson
CB Boddy-Calhoun
FS Ward
FS Wilson
SS Tartt
PK Gould

So of the 90(well 89, since Richburg will be retiring in a few weeks), they have 29 guys who don't have to go through waivers, obviously they won't be cutting Mostert, Juice, Kittle, Mack, Tomlinson, Trent, McGlinchey, Armstead, Ford, Ebukam, Jones, Kerr, Verrett, K'Waun, Ward, Tartt & Gould, cause they have too much GTD money, plus all IMO are locks for the 53, even Kerr. So that leaves just 12 players, Sudfeld, Johnson, Gallman, Sanu, White, Compton, Coleman, Gerry, Johnson, Boddy-Calhoun, & Wilson as players who they'd cut and bring back the next day, I don't see Johnson, White, Boddy-Calhoun making the roster anyway, and I pray to god they cut Compton.

Practice Squad:

QB 3 Josh Rosen*
RB 22 Wayne Gallman Jr.*
RB 23 JaMycal Hasty
FB 40 Josh Hokit
WR 15 Jauan Jennings
WR 18 Mohamed Sanu Sr.*
TE 83 Josh Pederson
RG 61 Dakoda Shepley
LT 78 Shon Coleman*
DE 94 Alex Barrett
NT 65 Darrion Daniels
SLB 59 Elijah Sullivan
WLB 45 Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles
MLB 47 Nathan Gerry*
FS 7 Jared Mayden
SS 32 Tavon Wilson*

This is well done. A lot of work here. A couple of thoughts.
- I think Lee makes 6th receiver over Watkins Jr who should fall easily to PS
- Probably Skule makes the cut but not if Coleman is motivated and in good shape. He's the better talent.
- If they wanted to add someone else to the roster like another DL or ER, Hilliard would probably be the odd man out also making the PS easily.

other than those not so important points, I am in total agreement with your projection
Originally posted by 60sFan:
This is well done. A lot of work here. A couple of thoughts.
- I think Lee makes 6th receiver over Watkins Jr who should fall easily to PS
- Probably Skule makes the cut but not if Coleman is motivated and in good shape. He's the better talent.
- If they wanted to add someone else to the roster like another DL or ER, Hilliard would probably be the odd man out also making the PS easily.

other than those not so important points, I am in total agreement with your projection

Yeah I did this before Lee signed, and before minicamp, I now have Lee on the 53, Watkins to PS to develop, along with Jennings.

Skule agree, or Coleman, if they keep 9, then one makes it of those 2, pray they don't go with Compton.

I'm torn on the LB spots, I think 4 pure LBs is ideal with Hufanga and Harris able to play LB too. Only Warner & Dre are locks IMO, need to see competition from Al-Shaair, Flannigan-Fowles, Gerry, Hilliard, Griffith & Sullivan, may the best 2 guys win.

If we go 10 DL, then Givens is the 10th, but I can see him being suspended 2-4 games no matter what happens.
Post June 1 Projection with a twist

QB- (3) Trey, Sudfeld, Rosen
RB- (4) Mostert, Sermon, Wilson, Mitchell
FB- (1) Juszczyk
WR- (6) Julio, Aiyuk, Deebo, Hurd, Sherfield, James
TE- (3) Kittle, Dwelley, Woerner
OL- (9) T.Williams, Tomlinson, Mack, Banks, McGlinchey, Brunskill, Coleman, Moore, McKivitz
DL- (10) Bosa, Kinlaw, Armstead, Ebukam, Key, Willis, Jones, Kerr, Hurst Jr, J. Houston
LB- (4) Warner, Greenlaw, Al-Shaair, Harris (LB/S)
CB- (5) Verrett, Mosley, K.Williams, Thomas, Lenior
S - (5) Ward, Tartt, T.Moore, Hulfanga, Mayden (S/Slot)
K- (1) Gould
P- (1) Wishnowsky
LS- (1) Pepper

FB- (1) Juszczyk
OL- (9) T.Williams, Tomlinson, Mack, Banks, McGlinchey, Brunskill, Coleman, Moore, McKivitz
DL- (10) Bosa, Kinlaw, Armstead, Ebukam, Key, Willis, Jones, Kerr, Hurst Jr, J. Houston
K- (1) Gould
P- (1) Wishnowsky
LS- (1) Pepper

It might hamstring our future, but man it'd be exciting this year!
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

FB- (1) Juszczyk
K- (1) Gould
P- (1) Wishnowsky
LS- (1) Pepper

We'll get a #2 for Jimmy. I heard of a trade rumor where we trade Jimmy and a #2 to Washington for a #1 and Montez Sweat who I would replace J. Houston with.

FB- (1) Juszczyk
K- (1) Gould
P- (1) Wishnowsky
LS- (1) Pepper

We'll get a #2 for Jimmy. I heard of a trade rumor where we trade Jimmy and a #2 to Washington for a #1 and Montez Sweat who I would replace J. Houston with.

Where did you hear that? Washington doesn't have enough cap room to make this deal work. As for Julio, as I've said before, not likely, unless Julio takes a pay cut in 2021 & 2022, and/or ATL takes on part of his salary.

FB- (1) Juszczyk
K- (1) Gould
P- (1) Wishnowsky
LS- (1) Pepper

Where did you hear that? Washington doesn't have enough cap room to make this deal work. As for Julio, as I've said before, not likely, unless Julio takes a pay cut in 2021 & 2022, and/or ATL takes on part of his salary.

Just a bloggers take. Thought it was interesting. Atlanta would have to take part of the salary under these circumstances. I will say this, something interesting will happen after June 1. Surprise players will be available.
[ Edited by 60sFan on May 22, 2021 at 7:02 PM ]

FB- (1) Juszczyk
K- (1) Gould
P- (1) Wishnowsky
LS- (1) Pepper

Just a bloggers take. Thought it was interesting. Atlanta would have to take part of the salary under these circumstances. I will say this, something interesting will happen after June 1. Surprise players will be available.

It wasn't a rumor, just a hypothetical.

Washington would be stupid to give up a 1st AND Sweat for Jimmy and a 2nd.
Originally posted by btthepunk:

FB- (1) Juszczyk
K- (1) Gould
P- (1) Wishnowsky
LS- (1) Pepper

It wasn't a rumor, just a hypothetical.

Washington would be stupid to give up a 1st AND Sweat for Jimmy and a 2nd.

Yes, poor choice of words on my part. Hypothetical is the right call. FYI, Washington is stupid.
I think the fact that we didn't take a slot WR in the draft means the team believes we already have the solution on the team. They always say it has to be someone who can win the job.

Hurd and Jennings will compete for the big slot roles, while James and Benjamin will compete for the smaller quick/speedy slot role. Seems like this might finally be the year that Richie gets a real chance to be the #3.
QB: Garoppolo, Lance, Rosen
RB: Mostert, Sermon, Wilson, Mitchell
FB: Juszczyk
TE: Kittle, Dwelley, Woerner
WR: Samuel, Aiyuk, James, Hurd, Benjamin, Jennings
C: Mack, Brunskill
OG: Banks, Tomlinson, Moore
OT: Williams, McGlinchey, McKivitz

DL: Bosa, Kinlaw, Jones, Armstead, Ebukan, Kerr, Ford, Willis, Hurst, Key
LB: Warner, Greenlaw, Al-Shaair, Gerry, Hilliard
CB: Verrett, Moseley, Williams, Thomas, Lenoir, Johnson
S: Ward, Tartt, Moore, Hufanga

P: Wishnowski
K: Gould
LS: Pepper

If Ford starts on PUP then I see Blair coming back and I hope they bring Sherman back and let Dontae Johnson FOH.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
QB: Garoppolo, Lance, Rosen
RB: Mostert, Sermon, Wilson, Mitchell
FB: Juszczyk
TE: Kittle, Dwelley, Woerner
WR: Samuel, Aiyuk, James, Hurd, Benjamin, Jennings
C: Mack, Brunskill
OG: Banks, Tomlinson, Moore
OT: Williams, McGlinchey, McKivitz

DL: Bosa, Kinlaw, Jones, Armstead, Ebukan, Kerr, Ford, Willis, Hurst, Key
LB: Warner, Greenlaw, Al-Shaair, Gerry, Hilliard
CB: Verrett, Moseley, Williams, Thomas, Lenoir, Johnson
S: Ward, Tartt, Moore, Hufanga

P: Wishnowski
K: Gould
LS: Pepper

If Ford starts on PUP then I see Blair coming back and I hope they bring Sherman back and let Dontae Johnson FOH.

I'd drop a LB for Harris, who can play SS & LB, like Hufanga can. Also drop a WR for Sherfield, who I think will surprise some. I'd love to just see no #3 QB, and add a RB like Gallman. If 3, Sudfeld is the guy IMO.
Share 49ersWebzone