There are 174 users in the forums

***The Forever Official 53-MAN ROSTER/DEPTH CHART/PS Thread***

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by NCommand:
NC - no Jeff Wilson?

Well played sir.

I think ever since NC spoke "injuries" in to the Niners thread the team has been cursed, Not that he has that power but just sayin........
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:
NC - no Jeff Wilson?

Well played sir.

I think ever since NC spoke "injuries" in to the Niners thread the team has been cursed, Not that he has that power but just sayin........

TBF, in experiment, we did shut down that thread for a couple weeks and we had the same number of injuries so we've confirmed, Levi's is built on an Indian burial ground.
Originally posted by 60sFan:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Love the questions!

Key was a late addition and just hasn't been a quality player thus far. He's on the outside looking in but will complete better in W9. Willis already knows the defense and played solid in rotation last year and now gets a full off season; upside in our system. Watkins is an UDFA who struggles getting off press (easy PS player but may not even be that). Rosen is just a more talented player who's been exposed to our system with more upside and Sudfeld is the perfect PS QB who has coach connections but needs to learn this offense. Dee is on the roster no matter what but I doubt he plays (hence Ebukam). I heard about six new guys were fielding punts including Deebo and Aiyuk and I think Kyle is done with the micro-WR's at slot (can't block esp. for inside zone); that leaves James on the outside. Kyle covets experienced veterans with speed/size and ST at WR3-6. Givens-type DL are a dime a dozen and I think Kocurek goes with the veterans along the DL this time in the rotation. Kyle has shown he prefers veteran depth at S, LB, DL, ST and WR.

PS: Thanks for the cap projection. Always huge in the final 53.

Who you got in debate and why?

I get this.

For Key, they gave him some GTD money, and I think he's better than Willis is, and if Dee isn't gonna play, why waste a spot on the 53? Just PUP or Short Term IR him.

Watkins wise, I'd think he at least makes the PS, gave him $105K GTD, I also won't put the one play vs Lenoir against him.

Rosen vs Sudfeld is easy to me, Rosen just isn't the guy I'd feel happy with if Jimmy or Lance went down as #2, Sudfeld aint much better, but he'll learn the system, plus cutting Sudfeld leaves $252K in dead money that they won't get back till 2022. Ideally we go 2 QBs, but not likely.

Givens, I should have specified, do you have him as suspended, cause I think he gets suspended 2-4 weeks, if he's convicted he's cut.

I don't want Aiyuk or Deebo as a returner, I also don't want Sanu anywhere near this roster, by having him and Benjamin on week 1 53 it guarantees their salaries for 2021, hard pill to swallow if neither play well, then $915K(Sanu) and $1.075M(Benjamin) have just been wasted. I just think James might surprise some.

I have as of now, this in my mind.

QB(3): Garoppolo/ Lance/ Sudfeld
RB(4): Mostert/ Sermon/ Gallman/ Mitchell (Wilson on PUP)
FB(1): Juice
WR(6): Aiyuk/ Deebo/ Sherfield/ James/ Hurd/ Not sure, I need to see guys like Watkins, Benjamin, Sanu, & Jennings out there in preseason.
TE(3): Kittle/ Dwelley/ Woerner
OL(9): Trent/ Laken/ Mack/ Banks/ McGlinchey/ McKivitz/ Moore/ Brunskill/ Skule
DL(9): AA/ Bosa/ Ebukam/ Key/ Willis/ Kinlaw/ Hurst/ Jones/ Kerr (Dee on short term IR or PUP)
LB(4): Warner/ Dre/ Al-Shaair/ not sure on this too, I need to see Burgess, Hilliard, Sullivan, DFF, Gerry, & Griffith in preseason.
CB(6): Verrett/ Moseley/ K'Waun/ Thomas/ Lenoir/ Johnson
FS(2): Ward/ Moore
SS(3): Tartt/ Harris/ Hufanga
ST(3): Gould/ Wish/ Pepper

Great stuff, man. Truly. You always give me a lot to consider in these discussions.

I'm with you in that I do see a legit battle with Willis and Key. That should be a fun battle!

Gotcha on Dee...that could keep a spot open and give Dee yet, more time to recover and potentially add something later in the season.

It was noted Watkins was struggling getting off from every CB but it's way early. He has that Kendrick Bourne 2.0 pathway if he wants it.

Rosen vs. Sudfeld vs. keeping just 2 QB's. Love it!

With Givens, I don't think his legal matters, matter. We've got some very legit veterans now and crazy interior depth.

Could this be the year they get serious about a returner or just have another fair-catcher? I remember in the Pettis thread posting a video (IIRC) of Shanahan talking about having no issues using a starter as a returner as field position and a weapon there is important to him. Keep an eye on the practice reports. I like James too. I just don't see his path ATM. But he's made it every year. This may not be any different with a great off season.

Benjamin (speed at X) and as a returner and Sanu, only 31, could probably be a very effective slot WR for a long time esp. if Hurd/Jennings don't take the reigns.

I think your list really captures the camp battles we're looking forward to for those final 6 or so roster spots.

Pretty much in agreement with AB. I think they really want Hurd and Jennings to round out the 6 WRs. Jennings was running with the first team at the OTAs and heard he looked pretty effective.

I too think they go with 4 LBs and 5 safeties with Harris and possibly Hulfanga playing some LB.

Key definitely has a chance to make roster and be a main rotation guy if he takes to being coached up.

I still have a feeling that Coleman might beat out Skule.

IMO, I have the following players as either locks or pretty much locks to make the 53.

QB Jimmy Garoppolo
QB Trey Lance
RB Raheem Mostert
RB Trey Sermon
RB Wayne Gallman Jr.
RB Elijah Mitchell
RB Jeff Wilson Jr. (PUP)
FB Kyle Juszyzck
WR Brandon Aiyuk
WR Deebo Samuel
WR Jalen Hurd
WR Trent Sherfield
TE George Kittle
TE Ross Dwelley
TE Charlie Woerner
C Alex Mack
C Daniel Brunskill
LG Laken Tomlinson
LG Colton McKivitz
RG Aaron Banks
LT Trent Williams
LT Jaylon Moore
RT Mike McGlinchey
DE Arik Armstead
DE Nick Bosa
DE Samson Ebukam
DE Dee Ford (Either on 53 or IR or PUP)
DE Arden Key
DT Javon Kinlaw
DT Maurice Hurst Jr.
DT Kevin Givens (Either on 53 or Suspended, cut if he's convicted)
NT D.J. Jones
NT Zach Kerr
WLB Dre Greenlaw
MLB Fred Warner
CB Jason Verrett
CB Emmanuel Moseley
CB K'Waun Williams
CB Ambry Thomas
CB Deommodore Lenoir
FS Jimmie Ward
FS Tarvarius Moore
SS Jaquiski Tartt
SS Marcell Harris
SS Talanoa Hufanga
PK Robbie Gould
P Mitch Wishnowsky
LS Taybor Pepper

So that's 48 players, 45 on 53 man, 1 PUP, 1 can go either 53 or Injured List, and 1 53 or Suspended or Cut.

I have the following players fighting for those final 8 spots

QB Nate Sudfeld
QB Josh Rosen
WR Richie James Jr.
WR Jauan Jennings
WR Mohamed Sanu Sr.
WR Travis Benjamin
WR Austin Watkins Jr. (More likely the practice squad to develop)
RG Tom Compton
LT Shon Coleman
RT Justin Skule
DE Jordan Willis
WLB Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles
WLB James Burgess
MLB Nathan Gerry
MLB Elijah Sullivan
MLB Jonas Griffith
SLB Azeez Al-Shaair
SLB Justin Hilliard
CB Dontae Johnson
FS Tavon Wilson (Has a chance if the team decides to list Harris as a LB, then he'd be the 5th Safety)

Likely longshots/practice squad candidates.

QB Josh Johnson
RB JaMycal Hasty
FB Josh Hokit
WR Kevin White
WR River Cracraft
WR Bennie Fowler
TE Daniel Helm
TE Josh Pederson
C Jake Brendel
RG Dakoda Shepley
RG Isaiah Williams
LT Corbin Kaufusi
LT Alfredo Gutierrez (Guaranteed a PS spot as a pathway player, doesn't need to go through waivers)
DE Alex Barrett
DE Daeshon Hall
DT Kentavius Street
NT Darrion Daniels
CB Tim Harris Jr.
CB Mark Fields II
CB Briean Boddy-Calhoun
CB Ken Webster
FS Jared Mayden
FS Kai Nacua
Originally posted by 60sFan:
Pretty much in agreement with AB. I think they really want Hurd and Jennings to round out the 6 WRs. Jennings was running with the first team at the OTAs and heard he looked pretty effective.

I too think they go with 4 LBs and 5 safeties with Harris and possibly Hulfanga playing some LB.

Key definitely has a chance to make roster and be a main rotation guy if he takes to being coached up.

I still have a feeling that Coleman might beat out Skule.

I totally agree with Jennings too. He, Hurd and Sanu all competing for that big slot. One or both could make Sanu expendable. Jimmy's badly wanted that big target in the slot forever. That's another reason he's so high on Hurd.

No question on how you title them...SS or SAM, a couple will be hybrids.

Key, Ebukam and Willis will be a fun battle indeed.

Coleman is my other wildcard (Benjamin the other).

No Bourne. No James? Who'll bring the energy?

Battle as in for play time? Ebukam has that down, he got a good amount of fully GTD money, $5M, and even if they decided to let him go they'd only save $500K after June 1.

I think the fact they gave Key GTD money, same with Hurst, but none to Willis shows me they're committed to Key, unless he looks awful. It's kinda like the Gallman signing, I didn't understand why so many were saying he was a lock, I get we had just Mostert & Wilson, but I expected a UDFA or 2, but not 2 picks, but with Wilson's injury, Gallman makes it.
If Hurd is healthy he will be the #3 guy at some point during the season. And if he impresses I can even see him as the #2 guy and moving Deebo to the slot.

TBF, in experiment, we did shut down that thread for a couple weeks and we had the same number of injuries so we've confirmed, Levi's is built on an Indian burial ground.

LOL

It won't end until you do that Indian rain dance.

Battle as in for play time? Ebukam has that down, he got a good amount of fully GTD money, $5M, and even if they decided to let him go they'd only save $500K after June 1.

I think the fact they gave Key GTD money, same with Hurst, but none to Willis shows me they're committed to Key, unless he looks awful. It's kinda like the Gallman signing, I didn't understand why so many were saying he was a lock, I get we had just Mostert & Wilson, but I expected a UDFA or 2, but not 2 picks, but with Wilson's injury, Gallman makes it.

Yeah, follow the money, usually leads to the answers on many of these 53 slots. So I certainly see your rationale there.

Yeah, Ebukam was brought in for Ford and if he's out, that leaves even more snaps for depth snaps and with Bosa slowly being worked in, even more. So that battle with Key and Willis is a real one.

LOL

Hmmm, that explains the extra hot sunny sides of the stadium. Rain dance it is!

LOL

Hmmm, that explains the extra hot sunny sides of the stadium. Rain dance it is!

Speaking of this^. Looking to go to my first home game, and trip to SF. Where would be the best seats to look at for access to the players? Tunnel or towards the center? Also what section is the tunnel?

I agree pretty much 95% with David, except this, I think Sudfeld wins the #3 QB job, I'd rather keep just 2, but likely not happening, I just don't see anything in Rosen, he has to play his ass off this offseason/preseason.

I agree pretty much 95% with David, except this, I think Sudfeld wins the #3 QB job, I'd rather keep just 2, but likely not happening, I just don't see anything in Rosen, he has to play his ass off this offseason/preseason.

I'm with him on that one but only for now. If you've got a young first round talent as your 3rd QB whom you can take your time and develop, you're doing it right. Guys like Sudfeld (6th round) are a dime a dozen. Hell, Mullens might still be available to be a PS QB at some point. He does have the coaching connection though.
so does this team make alot more Free agency moves with this revolving door of back up players going in an out every offseason. or is it just that the moves are being reported on more than before.
Share 49ersWebzone