There are 257 users in the forums

***The Forever Official 53-MAN ROSTER/DEPTH CHART/PS Thread***

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by stefano89:
so does this team make alot more Free agency moves with this revolving door of back up players going in an out every offseason. or is it just that the moves are being reported on more than before.

Now or in the future? Now not likely, the roster is pretty much set, we won't see many post June 1 cuts, not when you can designate 2 guys in March.

In the future, yeah probably, they'll keep their key FAs like Warner, Verrett, K'Waun, Jones or try to, but some guys like Key, Hurst could leave if they play well, Hyder did well, got a decent deal from SEA. But it's a business too, sometimes you have to move on from high priced players, which is why I think Moore could be brought back in 2022 as the FS, with Ward cut, and Hufanga as the new SS. Tartt let walk.

Sanu could probably be a really good big slot for quite a while.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Sanu could probably be a really good big slot for quite a while.

I love spry players
Right now I have 46 players locked into 53-man roster spots, baring injuries of course.

QBs Jimmy Garoppolo & Trey Lance, RBs Raheem Mostert, Trey Sermon, Wayne Gallman Jr., & Elijah Mitchell, FB Kyle Juszyzck, WRs Brandon Aiyuk, Deebo Samuel, Jalen Hurd, Trent Sherfield, & Richie James Jr., TEs George Kittle, Ross Dwelley, & Charlie Woerner, Cs Alex Mack & Daniel Brunskill, LGs Laken Tomlinson & Colton McKivitz, RG Aaron Banks, LTs Trent Williams & Jaylon Moore, RT Mike McGlinchey, DEs Nick Bosa, Arik Armstead, Samson Ebukam, & Arden Key, DTs Javon Kinlaw & Maurice Hurst Jr., NTs D.J. Jones & Zach Kerr, LBs Fred Warner & Dre Greenlaw, CBs Jason Verrett, Emmanuel Moseley, K'Waun Williams, Ambry Thomas, & Deommodore Lenoir, FSs Jimmie Ward & Tarvarius Moore, SSs Jaquiski Tartt, Marcell Harris, & Talanoa Hufanga, PK Robbie Gould, P Mitch Wishnowsky, & LS Taybor Pepper

Also have RB Jeff Wilson Jr., and DE Dee Ford on injured lists to begin the season, unless Dee surprises us.

So that leaves 7 spots, with these guys battling for those spots IMO.

QBs Nate Sudfeld & Josh Rosen
WRs Jauan Jennings, Mohamed Sanu Sr., & Travis Benjamin
TE MyCole Pruitt
OL Shon Coleman, Justin Skule, & Will Compton
DE Jordan Willis(His job to lose since no real competition unless Dee is healthy)
LBs James Burgess Jr., Nathan Gerry, Azeez Al-Shaair, Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles, Justin Hilliard, Elijah Sullivan, & Jonas Griffith
CBs Dontae Johnson, Tim Harris Jr., & Jared Mayden

Obviously, IMO, they keep a 3rd QB(wish they would go just 2 with Jimmy & Trey), a 6th WR, 5th DE, 2 extra LBs, so that's 5 of the 7, leaving 2 spots for the likes of a 9th OL, 4th TE, 6th CB, or 5th LB.
I guess Ryan's really likes Givens too (front page article).

Ryans was asked during a media session on Wednesday which players he feels are in a position to make a big leap once the season gets underway. The first player he singled out was defensive tackle Kevin Givens, who has shown some flashes in a reserve role since joining the 49ers as an undrafted rookie out of Penn State in 2019. Givens had 19 tackles and a sack in 13 games last season after playing in just one game as a rookie.

"I look at a young guy like Kevin Givens and the way he's been working," Ryans said. "It's been outstanding to see him work. He's getting better and better each day."
Originally posted by NCommand:
I guess Ryan's really likes Givens too (front page article).

Ryans was asked during a media session on Wednesday which players he feels are in a position to make a big leap once the season gets underway. The first player he singled out was defensive tackle Kevin Givens, who has shown some flashes in a reserve role since joining the 49ers as an undrafted rookie out of Penn State in 2019. Givens had 19 tackles and a sack in 13 games last season after playing in just one game as a rookie.

"I look at a young guy like Kevin Givens and the way he's been working," Ryans said. "It's been outstanding to see him work. He's getting better and better each day."

I do too, but have no idea what will happen, legally, with him, even if acquitted, the NFL could suspend him 2-4 games, the NFL does their own investigation. So I don't have him listed, but if he's not suspended, I'd keep him for sure, maybe even 10 DL then.
I have to believe the windows for Kevin White and Tim Harris are just about closed.
Until tomorrow:

QB- (3) Jimmy, Trey, Sudfeld
RB- (4) Mostert, Sermon, Gallman, Mitchell
FB- (1) Juszczyk
WR- (6) Aiyuk, Deebo, Hurd, James, Jennings, Sherfield
TE- (4) Kittle, Dwelley, Pruitt, Woerner
OL- (9) T.Williams, Tomlinson, Mack, Banks, McGlinchey, Brunskill, Coleman, Moore, McKivitz
DL- (9) Bosa, Kinlaw, Armstead, Ebukam, Key, Willis, Jones, Kerr, Hurst Jr
LB- (4) Warner, Greenlaw, Al-Shaair, Burgess
CB- (5) Verrett, Mosley, K.Williams, Thomas, Lenior
S - (5) Ward, Tartt, T.Moore, Harris, Hulfanga,
K- (1) Gould
P- (1) Wishnowsky
LS- (1) Pepper
Originally posted by 60sFan:
Until tomorrow:

FB- (1) Juszczyk
OL- (9) T.Williams, Tomlinson, Mack, Banks, McGlinchey, Brunskill, Coleman, Moore, McKivitz
K- (1) Gould
P- (1) Wishnowsky
LS- (1) Pepper

Damn dude, I have the exact same, except I can't decide between Burgess or Gerry for 4th LB spot, with the other to the PS.
[ Edited by AB81Rules on Jun 2, 2021 at 9:24 PM ]
Looks like Kevin Givens may not be convicted, David Lombardi tweeted that the misdemeanor is no longer in the Maryland database. If so, Givens is a lock IMO, so who gets bumped off if the NFL doesn't suspend him, the NFL could if they wanted to. I'd probably knock off Willis, he won't dress anyway IMO, I'd dress AA, Bosa, Ebukam, Key, Jones, Kinlaw, Hurst & Kerr for sure.
Originally posted by 60sFan:
Until tomorrow:

FB- (1) Juszczyk
K- (1) Gould
P- (1) Wishnowsky
LS- (1) Pepper

Under this roster I'd inactivate Sudfeld, a WR, a RB, a OL, and a DL. Can't decide on which WR, RB, OL and DL(depends on if Willis or Givens is on roster) I know some might say a TE, which I'd be cool with if it means 9 DL dress especially if Dee is healthy. But Kyle has had all 4 TEs active I believe in the past.

I just do not understand the thinking behind Sudfeld over Rosen.
The narrative is: "what has Rosen done?". Well . . . a heck of a lot more than Sudfeld. He's actually started more games. And he's even won a few, if I'm not mistaken (I'm not exactly a follower). He's been a victim of circumstances and poor coaching. Plus, he's been criticized for his attitude. Fair enough. I believe that his attitude has been adjusted; the NFL is great at knocking players who think too highly of themselves down a peg or two.
There is no doubt that he is infinitely more talented than Sudfeld, who looked HORRIBLE in the only start he had. And he was only starting because Philly wanted to throw the game.

I'd be surprised if the Niners didn't keep three QBs on the roster. And I'd be bowled over if it was Sudfeld over Rosen.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
I just do not understand the thinking behind Sudfeld over Rosen.
The narrative is: "what has Rosen done?". Well . . . a heck of a lot more than Sudfeld. He's actually started more games. And he's even won a few, if I'm not mistaken (I'm not exactly a follower). He's been a victim of circumstances and poor coaching. Plus, he's been criticized for his attitude. Fair enough. I believe that his attitude has been adjusted; the NFL is great at knocking players who think too highly of themselves down a peg or two.
There is no doubt that he is infinitely more talented than Sudfeld, who looked HORRIBLE in the only start he had. And he was only starting because Philly wanted to throw the game.

I'd be surprised if the Niners didn't keep three QBs on the roster. And I'd be bowled over if it was Sudfeld over Rosen.

I'm going with Sudfeld do to the $252K GTD, and I just think he'd be better as a backup in case Rosen goes down, but I'm not ruling out Rosen, I have to see in preseason how each do, both need to get a lot of reps, give Lance a good amount, Jimmy less if he is the starter, then let's see what Rosen & Sudfeld can do.
I'd basically play Jimmy 1 series game 1 of preseason and game 2, Lance a rest of 1st half, then Sudfeld/Rosen 3rd & 4th Quarters, then in game 3, which will be treated as the dress rehearsal sit Jimmy, Trey, and pretty much every starter, Sudfeld & Rosen play a half each.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
I think the decision between Sudfeld and Rosen will come down to the following:
- Short Term: Provide strong mentorship for Lance in this scheme as Jimmy will be focused on his responsibilities as starter.
- Long Term: Ability to become the de facto backup to Lance once Jimmy is no longer the starter.

Sudfeld is likely the better short term solution, but it's a big question mark if Sudfeld or Rosen can give the 49ers confidence as QB #2.
  • thl408
The DT position is crowded and there won't be enough snaps to go around. Hurst, Givens, DJJones, Kinlaw are the pure DTs. AA and Kerr can play some DE, but are better off inside.

Kinlaw will get snaps because of his draft pedigree. AA will get snaps because he's paid a lot. Do all six dress on game day? Then it's just Bosa and Samson as pure DEs.
Share 49ersWebzone