There are 213 users in the forums

***The Forever Official 53-MAN ROSTER/DEPTH CHART/PS Thread***

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I'd basically play Jimmy 1 series game 1 of preseason and game 2, Lance a rest of 1st half, then Sudfeld/Rosen 3rd & 4th Quarters, then in game 3, which will be treated as the dress rehearsal sit Jimmy, Trey, and pretty much every starter, Sudfeld & Rosen play a half each.

I wouldn't mind if they played Trey through the 3rd quarter. After missing almost all of last season, what he needs most is reps at NFL speed. I could care less about Sudfeld/Rosen playing time. I would like to see them bring back Mullen as QB3. He would be Trey's personal QB coach plus he would out preform Sucfeld or Rosen in Shanahan's offense.
Originally posted by thl408:
The DT position is crowded and there won't be enough snaps to go around. Hurst, Givens, DJJones, Kinlaw are the pure DTs. AA and Kerr can play some DE, but are better off inside.

Kinlaw will get snaps because of his draft pedigree. AA will get snaps because he's paid a lot. Do all six dress on game day? Then it's just Bosa and Samson as pure DEs.

Armstead is also good off the EDGE IMO, but you also have Arden Key who can rush off the EDGE, and if for some miracle Dee is healthy, we have Bosa, Ebukam, & Dee at EDGE, DE/IDL AA & Kerr, DTs Kinlaw, Jones, Hurst, & Givens, when you have this much talent, you have to scheme, and use the players in their best roles. I think Arden Key has untapped potential, and I think Kocurek can bring it out, same for Hurst. I would dress 9 on gamedays, I think we did that several times last year due to injuries, especially after Dee, Bosa & Thomas went down.
Originally posted by 60sFan:
I'd basically play Jimmy 1 series game 1 of preseason and game 2, Lance a rest of 1st half, then Sudfeld/Rosen 3rd & 4th Quarters, then in game 3, which will be treated as the dress rehearsal sit Jimmy, Trey, and pretty much every starter, Sudfeld & Rosen play a half each.

I wouldn't mind if they played Trey through the 3rd quarter. After missing almost all of last season, what he needs most is reps at NFL speed. I could care less about Sudfeld/Rosen playing time. I would like to see them bring back Mullen as QB3. He would be Trey's personal QB coach plus he would out preform Sucfeld or Rosen in Shanahan's offense.

I like Mullens and all, but idk, but be prepared for kickback from Mullens haters. He did well in 2018 after Jimmy went down, he has untapped potential as well.
Originally posted by 60sFan:

I like Mullens and all, but idk, but be prepared for kickback from Mullens haters. He did well in 2018 after Jimmy went down, he has untapped potential as well.

Mullen shouldn't see the field and Rosen would make the PS
The DT position is crowded and there won't be enough snaps to go around. Hurst, Givens, DJJones, Kinlaw are the pure DTs. AA and Kerr can play some DE, but are better off inside.

Kinlaw will get snaps because of his draft pedigree. AA will get snaps because he's paid a lot. Do all six dress on game day? Then it's just Bosa and Samson as pure DEs.

Armstead is also good off the EDGE IMO, but you also have Arden Key who can rush off the EDGE, and if for some miracle Dee is healthy, we have Bosa, Ebukam, & Dee at EDGE, DE/IDL AA & Kerr, DTs Kinlaw, Jones, Hurst, & Givens, when you have this much talent, you have to scheme, and use the players in their best roles. I think Arden Key has untapped potential, and I think Kocurek can bring it out, same for Hurst. I would dress 9 on gamedays, I think we did that several times last year due to injuries, especially after Dee, Bosa & Thomas went down.

I will go on record as saying I think Dee plays this year, not sure why but I just have that feeling in my gut. I think he misses the first few games and is used sparingly, but I do think he plays. Question will be how well and how long.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
I will go on record as saying I think Dee plays this year, not sure why but I just have that feeling in my gut. I think he misses the first few games and is used sparingly, but I do think he plays. Question will be how well and how long.

Agree, but might not be until playoffs
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:

I agree. He has to.
  • thl408

AA may be the base DE, but in nickel, which is about 60% of snaps in a typical game, there is a crowded DT group with several players that deserve pass rush snaps. My prediction is that Hurst, Givens, AA, and Kinlaw will compete for snaps at nickel DT. It's a nice problem to have, but if Kinlaw can't earn those nickel DT snaps and ends up being the 4th guy of that group, then it would hinder his development - unless he will be getting snaps purely based off the draft investment that the team has put into him.

Ford being a consistent contributor and Key realizing his potential is a lot of hoping, but early June is the perfect time for that.

AA may be the base DE, but in nickel, which is about 60% of snaps in a typical game, there is a crowded DT group with several players that deserve pass rush snaps. My prediction is that Hurst, Givens, AA, and Kinlaw will compete for snaps at nickel DT. It's a nice problem to have, but if Kinlaw can't earn those nickel DT snaps and ends up being the 4th guy of that group, then it would hinder his development - unless he will be getting snaps purely based off the draft investment that the team has put into him.

Ford being a consistent contributor and Key realizing his potential is a lot of hoping, but early June is the perfect time for that.

I'm not really worried, we did a great job in 2019 with rotating the DL with Dee, Bosa, Buck, AA, Jones, and others I forget their names.
  • thl408

I'm not really worried, we did a great job in 2019 with rotating the DL with Dee, Bosa, Buck, AA, Jones, and others I forget their names.

I'm talking about DT, not DEs.

I'm talking about DT, not DEs.

I know, I don't think Hurst and Givens would get a lot of PT over Kinlaw and AA, I think they'd be able to rotate those 4, and also Jones & Kerr at NT.

I was thinking of this today. Are we really going to keep 10 DL to keep Kevin Givens? We have 100 quality interior DL (veterans and young players). How many will even be active? How many snaps will Kinlaw get?

It sounds like Ryans is going to learn heavily on the DL.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 3, 2021 at 12:09 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

I was thinking of this today. Are we really going to keep 10 DL to keep Kevin Givens? We have 100 quality interior DL (veterans and young players). How many will even be active? How many snaps will Kinlaw get?

It sounds like Ryans is going to learn heavily on the DL.

You don't cut Givens, a young up and coming talent, when you have a older vet like Kerr there who may not be there past 2021, same with Hurst. Givens is a ERFA in 2022, a RFA in 2023, UFA in 2024, so he's affordable/cheap.

I'd keep 9-10 DL, activate 9 on gamedays, my ideal actives would be.

QB: Jimmy, Lance
RB: Mostert, Sermon, Gallman
FB: Juice
WR: Aiyuk, Deebo, Hurd, Sherfield, James
TE: Kittle, Dwelley, Woerner
OL: Mack, Brunskill, Tomlinson, Banks, McKivitz, Moore, Trent, McGlinchey
DL: AA, Bosa, Ebukam, Key, Kinlaw, Jones, Kerr, Hurst, Givens
LB: Warner, Dre, Al-Shaair, Whoever is the 4th LB
CB: Verrett, Moseley, K'Waun, Thomas, Lenoir
S: Ward, Moore, Tartt, Harris, Hufanga
ST: Gould, Wish, Pepper

Inactive: QB Sudfeld or Rosen, RB Mitchell, WR Jennings or whoever is the 6th WR, OL Coleman or Skule(whoever wins the 9th OL if we keep 9), and the last would be tough, TE Pruitt or Woerner, but Kyle likes to activate all 4 sometimes. I really want to see Mitchell get the 3rd RB spot, and also as a Returner with Ambry Thomas.

Maybe they could go just 3 LBs since Harris & Hufanga can play LB, but idk.
Originally posted by stefano89:
so does this team make alot more Free agency moves with this revolving door of back up players going in an out every offseason. or is it just that the moves are being reported on more than before.

Now or in the future? Now not likely, the roster is pretty much set, we won't see many post June 1 cuts, not when you can designate 2 guys in March.

In the future, yeah probably, they'll keep their key FAs like Warner, Verrett, K'Waun, Jones or try to, but some guys like Key, Hurst could leave if they play well, Hyder did well, got a decent deal from SEA. But it's a business too, sometimes you have to move on from high priced players, which is why I think Moore could be brought back in 2022 as the FS, with Ward cut, and Hufanga as the new SS. Tartt let walk.

lol no thats not what i meant. i was saying it seems like this FO makes way more transactions in the offseasons especially with the 3rd-4th string positions that never see the field or are just "camp bodies". cause it seems like the last 2 seasons they have a revolving door with bringing guys in an out over an over an over. some guys they only sign for a week or so, i think wev seen guys even get signed an be gone a few days later.

im not sure if this FO is doing that more than previous FO's like baalkes, or if the media is just reporting on it more now. an maybe were just knowing about it more now. like dontae johnson, i know hes the most extreme example. but how many damn times have we signed that guy in the last 5 years. i think he may have even been here during baalke. just seems like their constantly turning over the back end of the roster an im wondering why their doing that. if its just for "camp bodies" that we dont have to depend on contributing during the season then why keep shuffling them in an out. idk.

but thanks for a real an informative and non-condescending response. kinda rare on this board.
QB- (3) Jimmy, Trey, Sudfeld
RB- (4) Mostert, Sermon, Gallman, Mitchell
FB- (1) Juszczyk
WR- (6) Aiyuk, Deebo, Hurd, James, Jennings, Sherfield
TE- (3) Kittle, Dwelley, Pruitt
OL- (9) T.Williams, Tomlinson, Mack, Banks, McGlinchey, Brunskill, Coleman, Moore, McKivitz
DL- (10) Bosa, Kinlaw, Armstead, Ebukam, Key, Willis, Jones, Kerr, Hurst Jr, Givens
LB- (4) Warner, Greenlaw, Al-Shaair, Burgess
CB- (5) Verrett, Mosley, K.Williams, Thomas, Lenior
S - (5) Ward, Tartt, T.Moore, Harris, Hulfanga,
K- (1) Gould
P- (1) Wishnowsky
LS- (1) Pepper

Doesn't Dress Game Day
Sudfeld
Jennings
Moore
Hurst Jr (I think they keep extra ER Willis vs another Tackle)
Burgess

I've got Woerner being waived under this scenario hoping he makes it to PS. Pruitt is the superior TE. Also the second best blocking TE on the team with 4.59 40 speed.
Share 49ersWebzone