***The Forever Official 53-MAN ROSTER/DEPTH CHART/PS Thread***

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by btthepunk:
QB- (3) Jimmy, Trey, Rosen
RB- (4) Mostert, Sermon, Gallman, Mitchell
FB- (1) Juszczyk
WR- (6) Aiyuk, Deebo, Hurd, James, Sanu, Scherfield
TE- (4) Kittle, Dwelley, Matthews, Woerner
OL- (8) T.Williams, Tomlinson, Mack, Banks, McGlinchey, Brunskill, Moore, McKivitz
DL- (10) Bosa, Kinlaw, Armstead, Ebukam, Key, Willis, Jones, Kerr, Hurst Jr, Givens
LB- (5) Warner, Greenlaw, Al-Shaair, Flanagan-Fowles Harris
CB- (5) Verrett, Mosley, K.Williams, Thomas, Lenoir
S - (4) Ward, Tartt, Jefferson, Hufanga
K- (1) Gould
P- (1) Wishnowsky
LS- (1) Pepper

I saw one reporter saying that Flanagan-Fowles has looked great so far and that Harris has had multiple pass break ups at LB, seems he's fully converting to LB now. I could see them keeping both especially since Harris can play safety if needed.

I replaced Jauan Jennings with Trent Scherfield for now. I think with Jennings being on the Covid list that's gonna hurt his chances and I think he can land on the PS. I could see him being on the active roster at some point though. Some beat writers are saying that Sanu hype is being really exaggerated right now but I'm keeping him for now.

I'd like to see them keep Tim Harris at CB who has had a couple pass break ups but it just comes down to being a numbers game.

One question why the hell Matthews over Pruitt?
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
FB- (1) Juszczyk
OL- (8) T.Williams, Tomlinson, Mack, Banks, McGlinchey, Brunskill, Moore, McKivitz
DL- (10) Bosa, Kinlaw, Armstead, Ebukam, Key, Willis, Jones, Kerr, Hurst Jr, Givens
K- (1) Gould
P- (1) Wishnowsky
LS- (1) Pepper

I saw one reporter saying that Flanagan-Fowles has looked great so far and that Harris has had multiple pass break ups at LB, seems he's fully converting to LB now. I could see them keeping both especially since Harris can play safety if needed.

I replaced Jauan Jennings with Trent Scherfield for now. I think with Jennings being on the Covid list that's gonna hurt his chances and I think he can land on the PS. I could see him being on the active roster at some point though. Some beat writers are saying that Sanu hype is being really exaggerated right now but I'm keeping him for now.

I'd like to see them keep Tim Harris at CB who has had a couple pass break ups but it just comes down to being a numbers game.

Honestly, just a shot in the dark kinda. I can see Matthews showing off at TE in the preseason. I think they like Woerner and would like to keep him.

I had Pruitt there and then edited it once I saw they signed Matthews.
FB- (1) Juszczyk
K- (1) Gould
P- (1) Wishnowsky
LS- (1) Pepper

Honestly, just a shot in the dark kinda. I can see Matthews showing off at TE in the preseason. I think they like Woerner and would like to keep him.

I had Pruitt there and then edited it once I saw they signed Matthews.

I think it's more likely Matthews is signed to the PS, since Pruitt is GTD $637,500 of his $987,500 cap number. Plus the fact is Matthews just started playing TE, like Tebow, so I don't see him being better than Woerner or Pruitt, and Dwelley's contract is pretty much GTD, he got his base GTD, and a $480K bonus.
Originally posted by Blake_Fever:
Mostert, Sermon, Gallman/Mitchell, Hasty.

Of the last 3, Hasty easily has the best chance to make it to the practice squad.

And 4RBs will make the 53.

Maybe 5 if they carry only two QB's.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Yeah, I understand the guaranteed money argument, but at the same time, I feel like that can also not mean as much as it seems like. To me, at least half the time, that is just a way of reassuring the player they will have a legit opportunity to make the team. But at the end of the day, the best players according to the staff will make the 53.

It's just usually, whenever a player gets that much GTD, I'd say he's a lock to make it, plus Pruitt is more experienced than anyone on the roster at TE.

Pruitt is brought in to be that blocking TE. He's got a calf right now so they are giving Matthews a shot. The 2nd and 3rd TE will be primarily run blockers. That F spot (TE position on passing downs) will go to Hurd and Sanu.

Most of this I agree with.

Notes:
  • No need for 4 TE's this year now that we have legit talent at WR3/F in Hurd and Sanu. The 4th TE like Woerner or even Matthews can be called up for injury from the Practice Squad or off the streets
  • Right now, Travis Benjamin > Richie James. Benjamin adds a speed element at X that Richie doesn't have and Kyle is trying everyone under the sun at returner...including his own son
  • Hurd is definitely ahead of Jennings right now given the draft capital and COVID
  • Keep 8 or 9 OL? Much will depend on how well Shon Coleman plays. He's definitely more talented than Colton McKivitz at T but health is always an issue with him
  • That 5th LB could change a lot if they bring in another veteran
  • Tartt is still reeling from turf toe. Tony Jefferson is definitely making the team

Multiple players had reps as a kick/punt returner, including Deebo Samuel, Elijah Michell, Kevin White, and Ambry Thomas. Of these players, Mitchell looked like he possesses the highest upside as a returner
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 31, 2021 at 6:37 AM ]
2020 Final 53-Man 49ers Roster Counts

QB: 3
RB/FB: 5
TE: 4
WR: 6
OL: 8 (26)
DL: 9
LB: 6
CB: 5
S: 4 (24)
ST: 3 (3)

-----------------------

Offensive Personnel: --- 26 [1]

QB: Jimmy Garoppolo; Trey Lance & Josh Rosen
RB: Raheem Mostert; Trey Sermon, Wayne Gallman & Elijah Mitchell [Jeff Wilson Jr.]
FB: Kyle Juszczyk
TE: George Kittle; Ross Dwelley & MyCole Pruitt
XWR: Brandon Aiyuk; Travis Benjamin
SWR/F: Mohamed Sanu; Trent Sherfield
ZWR/F: Deebo Samuel; Jalen Hurd
LT: Trent Williams; Shon Coleman
LG: Laken Tomlinson; Colton McKivitz
C: Alex Mack; Daniel Brunskill
RG: Aaron Banks; Jaylon Moore
RT: Mike McGlinchey

Defensive Personnel: --- 24 [2]
LDE/W9: Arik Armstead; Dee Ford & Samson Ebukam
2i: D.J. Jones; Zach Kerr
3T: Javon Kinlaw; Kevin Givens & Maurice Hurst Jr.
RDE/W9: Nick Bosa; Arden Key [Jordan Willis]
SAM/SS: Azeez Al-Shaair; Marcell Harris
MIKE: Fred Warner
WILL: Dre Greenlaw; Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles
RCB: Emmanuel Moseley; Ambrey Thomas
SCB: K'Waun Williams; Deommodore Lenoir
LCB: Jason Verrett
FS: Jimmie Ward; Tony Jefferson [Tarvarius Moore]
SS: Jaquiski Tartt; Talanoa Hufanga

Special Teams: --- 3
LS: Taybor Pepper
PK: Robbie Gould
P: Mitch Wishnowsky

KOR: Travis Benjamin & Ambry Thomas
PR: Travis Benjamin
GR: Trent Sherfield & Ambry Thomas
Pre-TC prediction:

QB: Jimmy Garoppolo, Trey Lance, Nate Sudfield
RB: Raheem Mostert, Trey Sermon, Elijah Mitchell, Wayne Gallman
WR: Brandon Aiyuk, Deebo Samuel, Jalen Hurd, Mohamed Sanu, Richie James, Jajuan Jennings
TE: George Kittle, Ross Dwelley, Charlie Woerner
OT: Trent Williams, Mike McGlinchey, Colton McKivitz
IOL: Laken Tomlinson, Alex Mack, Daniel Brunskill, Aaron Banks, Jaylen Moore

DE: Nick Bosa, Dee Ford, Samson Ebukam, Arik Armstead, Arden Key
DT: Javon Kinlaw, Kevin Givens, DJ Jones, Zach Kerr
LB: Fred Warner, Dre Greenlaw, Justin Hilliard, Azeez Al-Shaair, Marcell Harris
CB: Jason Verrett, Emmanuel Moseley, Ambry Thomas, Deommodore Lenoir, K'Waun Williams, Dontae Johnson
S: Jimmie Ward, Jaquiski Tartt, Tony Jefferson, Tavon Wilson, Talanoa Hufanga

STS: Robbie Gould, Mitch Wishnowsky, Taybor Pepper

No Kyle Juszczyk?

He's pretty washed up. I mean. Better to cut him too soon than too late, right?!! JK, that was definitely an oopsie oversight for sure. Good catch! Thank you! REVISED ROSTER:

(3) QB: Jimmy Garoppolo, Trey Lance, Josh Rosen
(5) RB: Raheem Mostert, Trey Sermon, Elijah Mitchell, Wayne Gallman, Juice
(6) WR: Brandon Aiyuk, Deebo Samuel, Jalen Hurd, Mohamed Sanu, Richie James, Trent Sherfield
(3) TE: George Kittle, Ross Dwelley, Mychal Pruitt
(3) OT: Trent Williams, Mike McGlinchey, Colton McKivitz
(5) IOL: Laken Tomlinson, Alex Mack, Daniel Brunskill, Aaron Banks, Jaylen Moore

(5) DE: Nick Bosa, Dee Ford, Samson Ebukam, Arik Armstead, Arden Key
(5) DT: Javon Kinlaw, Kevin Givens, DJ Jones, Zach Kerr, Kentavius Street
(5) LB: Fred Warner, Dre Greenlaw, Justin Hilliard, Azeez Al-Shaair, Marcell Harris
(5) CB: Jason Verrett, Emmanuel Moseley, Ambry Thomas, Deommodore Lenoir, K'Waun Williams
(5) S: Jimmie Ward, Jaquiski Tartt, Tony Jefferson, Tavon Wilson, Talanoa Hufanga

(3) STS: Robbie Gould, Mitch Wishnowsky, Taybor Pepper

16-man Practice Squad:
DE Alex Barrett
DT Darrion Daniels
DT Maurice Hurst
CB Tim Harris
CB Dontae Johnson
RB Jamychal Hasty
WR Jajuan Jennings
WR Austin Watkins
S Jared Mayden
LB Jonas Griffith
LB Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles
OT Shonn Coleman
OL Dakoda Shepley
OL Senio Kelemete
TE Charlie Woerner
FB Josh Hokit

Notes:
-IMO, if Woerner makes it at TE, Pruitt doesn't. And vice versa.
-We keep 10 DL to make sure we keep guys fresh due to medical histories w/ Bosa/Ford/AA/Jones/Kinlaw/Street.
-Dontae Johnson is the on-call 6th CB again from the PS if we have any injuries.
-James/Benjamin/Jennings will battle for the last slot spot. All 3 have "focus drop" issues. Webster a long-shot w/ an outside chance.
-James has to make it as a WR. Ambry Thomas is a strong KR guy and Aiyuk wants PR duties.
-Sherfield makes it as the 6th WR/special teams ace.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jul 31, 2021 at 3:39 PM ]
He's pretty washed up. I mean. Better to cut him too soon than too late, right?!! JK, that was definitely an oopsie oversight for sure. Good catch! Thank you! REVISED ROSTER:

(6) WR: Brandon Aiyuk, Deebo Samuel, Jalen Hurd, Mohamed Sanu, Richie James, Trent Sherfield
(5) IOL: Laken Tomlinson, Alex Mack, Daniel Brunskill, Aaron Banks, Jaylen Moore

(5) LB: Fred Warner, Dre Greenlaw, Justin Hilliard, Azeez Al-Shaair, Marcell Harris
(5) CB: Jason Verrett, Emmanuel Moseley, Ambry Thomas, Deommodore Lenoir, K'Waun Williams
(5) S: Jimmie Ward, Jaquiski Tartt, Tony Jefferson, Tavon Wilson, Talanoa Hufanga

16-man Practice Squad:
DE Alex Barrett
DT Darrion Daniels
DT Maurice Hurst
CB Tim Harris
CB Dontae Johnson
RB Jamychal Hasty
WR Jajuan Jennings
WR Austin Watkins
S Jared Mayden
LB Jonas Griffith
OT Shonn Coleman
OL Dakoda Shepley
OL Senio Kelemete
TE Charlie Woerner
FB Josh Hokit

Notes:
-We keep 10 DL to make sure we keep guys fresh due to medical histories w/ Bosa/Ford/AA/Jones/Kinlaw/Street.
-Dontae Johnson is the on-call 6th CB again from the PS if we have any injuries.
-James/Benjamin/Jennings will battle for the last slot spot. All 3 have "focus drop" issues. Webster a long-shot w/ an outside chance.
-James has to make it as a WR. Ambry Thomas is a strong KR guy and Aiyuk wants PR duties.

Question, why Street over Hurst? I'd rather keep Hurst than Street, who hasn't shown anything.

I think 4 TEs happen, Kyle has already gone with 4 to begin the season.

I really hope Aiyuk doesn't return punts, I'm scared to put the #1 WR back there.

Agree with pretty much all of it. I think that 5th LB spot will be interesting, as the first 4(Warner, Dre, Harris & Al-Shaair) are locks, so DFF, Burgess, Hilliard, Sullivan, and Griffin are competing for 1 spot.
A couple key notes from Aponte today:

Demetrius Flannigan Fowles took first-team reps with Dre Greenlaw not present.

Brandon Aiyuk, Travis Benjamin, Mohamed Sanu, and Deebo Samuel all participated in kick return drills.

The QB3 battle is leaning towards Sudfeld right now.

Elijah Mitchell is the best receiving back on the team right now and runs like he's shot out of a cannon

16-man Practice Squad:
DE Alex Barrett
DT Darrion Daniels
DT Maurice Hurst
CB Tim Harris
CB Dontae Johnson
RB Jamychal Hasty
WR Jajuan Jennings
WR Austin Watkins
S Jared Mayden
LB Jonas Griffith
OT Shonn Coleman
OL Dakoda Shepley
OL Senio Kelemete
TE Charlie Woerner
FB Josh Hokit

Notes:

Question, why Street over Hurst? I'd rather keep Hurst than Street, who hasn't shown anything.

I think 4 TEs happen, Kyle has already gone with 4 to begin the season.

I really hope Aiyuk doesn't return punts, I'm scared to put the #1 WR back there.

Agree with pretty much all of it. I think that 5th LB spot will be interesting, as the first 4(Warner, Dre, Harris & Al-Shaair) are locks, so DFF, Burgess, Hilliard, Sullivan, and Griffin are competing for 1 spot.

Still lots of time to change my mind as more info comes out.

I just feel like this year is different as far as roster spots. I think Hurst vs. Street will be a battle for one of the last spots. We definitely need 5 edge players with Bosa/Ford having their med history. Street has looked great apparently, while Hurst hasn't been able to participate. The spots I've been going back and forth on are:

QB Rosen vs. Sudfield

TE Pruitt vs. Woerner

WR Jennings vs. Sherfield -- both could be looked at as STs aces (we all know Jennings can knock tf outta people) but who's a better WR?

DL Street vs. Hurst

LB Hilliard vs. DFF -- Seems like DFF has the lead. Hilliard should stick on the PS at minimum, IMO.

KR Ambry Thomas vs. Richie James vs. Nsimba Webster
Originally posted by NCommand:
A couple key notes from Aponte today:

Demetrius Flannigan Fowles took first-team reps with Dre Greenlaw not present.

Brandon Aiyuk, Travis Benjamin, Mohamed Sanu, and Deebo Samuel all participated in kick return drills.

The QB3 battle is leaning towards Sudfeld right now.

Elijah Mitchell is the best receiving back on the team right now and runs like he's shot out of a cannon

I'm revising my 53, taking out Burgess for Flannigan-Fowles.

I'm stuck at QB, Sudfeld has more experience, Rosen has higher upside, I really want to just have 2 QBs, keep someone extra that we may lose if cut.

At WR, I'm kind of down to Jennings or Benjamin, but if they keep Benjamin, and Sherfield, plus Hurd, who sits? Aiyuk, Deebo are locks, then you'd have 3 of Sanu, Sherfield, Hurd, & Jennings or Benjamin, issue for me is, keeping Sanu & Benjamin guarantees there contracts.

Do we go just 3 RBs? Gallman to PS? if we go 4, who sits? Gallman or Mitchell? I was hoping Mitchell would get reps at KR.
Ok, here's where I'm at, the only unsure's are Rosen/Sudfeld, & Jennings/Benjamin, so I basically have 51 spots locked in as of now for me anyway.

Bolded are guys who I see as locks to make the team(48 of 53, with Rosen/Sudfeld, Sanu, Jennings/Benjamin, Flannigan-Fowles, & Jefferson as 50/50 IMO)

With Sanu, I'm not really sure if he's really that improved or if it's a smokescreen, with DFF, I still think the battle for the last LB spot is open to all LBs(Hilliard, Griffith, Burgess, Sullivan, & DFF), and Jefferson, he'd be a lock if he shows he's healthy, if not, then I can see either Tavon Wilson or even Jared Mayden stealing the spot, as Mayden can play FS, SS, & CB.

OFFENSE:

QB(3): 10 Jimmy Garoppolo(2022)/ 5 Trey Lance(2024)/ 3 Josh Rosen(2021) or 7 Nate Sudfeld(2021)
RB(4): 31 Raheem Mostert(2021)/ 28 Trey Sermon(2024)/ 22 Wayne Gallman Jr.(2021)/ 49 Elijah Mitchell(2024)
FB(1): 44 Kyle Juszyzck(2025)
WR(6): 11 Brandon Aiyuk(2023)/ 19 Deebo Samuel(2022)/ 14 Jalen Hurd(2022)/ 18 Mohamed Sanu Sr.(2021)/ 81 Trent Sherfield(2021)/ 15 Jauan Jennings(2021) or 17 Travis Benjamin(2021)
TE(4): 85 George Kittle(2025)/ 82 Ross Dwelley(2021)/ 88 MyCole Pruitt(2021)/ 89 Charlie Woerner(2023)
C(2): 50 Alex Mack(2023)/ 60 Daniel Brunskill(2021)
LG(2): 75 Laken Tomlinson(2021)/ 68 Colton McKivitz(2023)
RG(1): 65 Aaron Banks(2024)
LT(2): 71 Trent Williams(2026)/ 76 Jaylon Moore(2024)
RT(1): 69 Mike McGlinchey(2022)

DEFENSE:

DE(5): 97 Nick Bosa(2022)/ 91 Arik Armstead(2024)/ 55 Dee Ford(2022)/ 56 Samson Ebukam(2022)/ 98 Arden Key(2021)
DT(3): 99 Javon Kinlaw(2023)/ 90 Kevin Givens(2021)/ 96 Maurice Hurst Jr.(2021)
NT(2): 93 D.J. Jones(2021)/ 92 Zach Kerr(2021)
WLB(2): 57 Dre Greenlaw(2022)/ 45 Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles(2021)
MLB(1): 54 Fred Warner(2026)
SLB(2): 51 Azeez Al-Shaair(2021)/ 36 Marcell Harris(2021)
CB(5): 2 Jason Verrett(2021)/ 4 Emmanuel Moseley(2022)/ 24 K'Waun Williams(2021)/ 20 Ambry Thomas(2024)/ 38 Deommodore Lenoir(2024)
FS(2): 1 Jimmie Ward(2022)/ 41 Tony Jefferson II(2021)
SS(2): 26 Jaquiski Tartt(2021)/ 29 Talanoa Hufanga(2024)

SPECIAL TEAMS:

PK(1): 9 Robbie Gould(2022)
P(1): 6 Mitch Wishnowsky(2022)
LS(1): 46 Taybor Pepper(2022)

INJURED LISTS:

PUP: RB 30 Jeff Wilson Jr.(2021)
IR: RT 67 Justin Skule(2022)
PUP: FS 33 Tarvarius Moore(2021)

SUSPENDED:

DE 94 Jordan Willis(2021)

PRACTICE SQUAD:

QB 7 Nate Sudfeld* or QB 3 Josh Rosen*
RB 23 JaMycal Hasty
FB 40 Josh Hokit
WR 7 Austin Watkins Jr. or WR 15 Jauan Jennings
WR 6 Nsimba Webster or WR 15 Jauan Jennings
TE 83 Josh Pederson or TE --- Jordan Matthews*
C 64 Jake Brendel*
RG 61 Dakoda Shepley
LT 78 Shon Coleman*
LT 77 Alfredo Gutierrez**
DE 64 Alex Barrett
NT 65 Darrion Daniels
MLB 59 Elijah Sullivan
SLB 58 Justin Hilliard
CB 27 Dontae Johnson*
FS 7 Jared Mayden
SS 32 Tavon Wilson*

*Denotes players with 3 or more accrued years, only 6 are allowed
**Denotes the international pathway player, he doesn't count against the cap, or PS limit, but he also can't play
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Nice AB.

Is Jordan Matthews really eligible for PS? seems like he has been in a league a long time.
Originally posted by Crown:
Nice AB.

Is Jordan Matthews really eligible for PS? seems like he has been in a league a long time.

Thanks.

Yes, everyone is now, they get a slightly larger salary, it goes up each year, but you can keep 10 players with 2 or less accrued years(guys like Rookies, or players who have yet to play enough games) and 6 max that have 3 or more accrued years. I think Josh McCown was signed to the Eagles PS last year, he was in his 40s.
Share 49ersWebzone