There are 278 users in the forums

***The Forever Official 53-MAN ROSTER/DEPTH CHART/PS Thread***

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Silky:
Wait what happened to Ritchie James? He's not making the roster? I think he's good and thrived when others were out
i think james will beat out hurd.. now i understand this train of thought is unlawful but that is how i feel
Originally posted by cciowa:
Wait what happened to Ritchie James? He's not making the roster? I think he's good and thrived when others were out
i think james will beat out hurd.. now i understand this train of thought is unlawful but that is how i feel

Ya James showed he can ball when given the opportunity. Plus he's sneaky fast. My ideal WR group would be Aiyuk, Deebo, James, Hurd, Sanu
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
(3) QB: Jimmy Garoppolo, Trey Lance, Josh Rosen
(5) RB: Raheem Mostert, Trey Sermon, Elijah Mitchell, Wayne Gallman, Juice
(6) WR: Brandon Aiyuk, Deebo Samuel, Jalen Hurd, Mohamed Sanu, Richie James, Trent Sherfield
(3) TE: George Kittle, Ross Dwelley, Charlie Woerner
(4) OT: Trent Williams, Mike McGlinchey, Colton McKivitz, Jaylen Moore
(4) IOL: Laken Tomlinson, Alex Mack, Daniel Brunskill, Aaron Banks

(5) DE: Nick Bosa, Dee Ford, Samson Ebukam, Arik Armstead, Arden Key
(5) DT: Javon Kinlaw, Kevin Givens, DJ Jones, Zach Kerr, Kentavius Street
(6) LB: Fred Warner, Dre Greenlaw, DFF, Justin Hilliard, Azeez Al-Shaair, Marcell Harris
(5) CB: Jason Verrett, Emmanuel Moseley, Ambry Thomas, Deommodore Lenoir, K'Waun Williams
(4) S: Jimmie Ward, Jaquiski Tartt, Tony Jefferson, Talanoa Hufanga

(3) STS: Robbie Gould, Mitch Wishnowsky, Taybor Pepper

I hate thinking that anyone here will be hurt.. but I know it's inevitable every year... someone gets a spot due to another's injury. Feel pretty good about this roster guess though.

Hurst makes it over street.
No DFF and add Wilson.

Everything else is spot on.

Same concern every year. Too thin at CB.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by illinois9er:
My opinion is that Benjamin is on the outside looking in. I think it'll be Aiyuk, Deebo, Sanu, Hurd and Sherfield.

Hurd isn't making this team unfortunately because he can't stay on the practice filed.

agree . hurd can not just not play or practice and expect a roster spot to be given to him

Have you talked to Jalen? Is he expecting a roster spot if he's not practicing? I haven't read that. Where is your inside knowledge coming from?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GangstaGangsta:
Hurst makes it over street.
No DFF and add Wilson.

Everything else is spot on.

Same concern every year. Too thin at CB.

been saying that for days about the cornerbacks. the answer is the pass rush will solve all. bill walsh said you can never have enough cornerbacks. guess we no longer believe in that
Originally posted by 60sFan:
Projected 53 Game 1, 2021

Still standing by my opinion, Jimmy is not on roster.

QB- (2) Trey, Sudfeld
RB- (4) Mostert, Sermon, Gallman, Mitchell
FB- (1) Juszczyk
WR- (6) Aiyuk, Deebo, Sanu, Hurd, James, Sherfield
TE- (4) Kittle, Dwelley, Mathews, Woerner
OL- (8) T.Williams, Tomlinson, Mack, Banks, McGlinchey, Brunskill, Moore, McKivitz
DL- (10) Bosa, Kinlaw, Armstead, Ebukam, Key, Jones, Kerr, Hurst Jr, Givens, Ford
LB- (5) Warner, Greenlaw, Al-Shaair, Flan, Harris
CB- (6) Verrett, Mosley, K.Williams, Thomas, Lenior, Webb
S - (4) Ward, Tartt, Wilson, Hulfanga
K- (1) Gould
P- (1) Wishnowsky
LS- (1) Pepper

PUP
Wilson
Moore

James is one of the 6 WRs
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
From Barrows at the Athletic yestersay:

1. Meanwhile, receiver Jalen Hurd took four repetitions during one of the early 11-on-11 segments. Then he took himself off the field and went into the team's training area before re-emerging toward the end of practice. He is still looking for his first target in a team situation.

I can't see Kyle giving a spot on the 53 if it were to be called today to someone who's still looking for their first target in a team situation. IIRC Hurd doesn't play ST because of injury concerns. That means WRs who do makes it over him. Also from Barrows:

The 49ers' special teams were a disappointment last season and the team clearly spent the offseason adding pieces — receiver Trent Sherfield, Hufanga — who could help resurrect that unit. As far as gunner (the spot at which Raheem Mostert made his initial mark in the NFL), the team has several good options. Sherfield, Mitchell, Jared Mayden, Deommodore Lenoir, Kevin White and Webster have been taking repetitions at that spot.

So Im reading this as you have a greater chance at making the team is you can practice and play ST too the deeper you are on the depth chart.

hurd is a one trick pony. problem is we do not know what that one trick is cuz he never is out there. if he can not play special teams. that makes it hard for him to unseat sanu in my opinion who at least is having a good camp in the wake of hurd.. being hurd
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
My opinion is that Benjamin is on the outside looking in. I think it'll be Aiyuk, Deebo, Sanu, Hurd and Sherfield.

Hurd isn't making this team unfortunately because he can't stay on the practice filed.

agree . hurd can not just not play or practice and expect a roster spot to be given to him

Have you talked to Jalen? Is he expecting a roster spot if he's not practicing? I haven't read that. Where is your inside knowledge coming from?
this addresses the fans who have over rated him and are confident . despite his hands off approach so far this pre season.. he makes the team
Tartt on PUP. I think Mayden sneaks onto 53 ahead of Jefferson with Harris on the roster at LB. Mayden more versatile playing at SS, FF, Slot.

QB- (2) Trey, Sudfeld
RB- (4) Mostert, Sermon, Gallman, Mitchell
FB- (1) Juszczyk
WR- (6) Aiyuk, Deebo, Sanu, Hurd, James, Sherfield
TE- (4) Kittle, Dwelley, Mathews, Woerner
OL- (8) T.Williams, Tomlinson, Mack, Banks, McGlinchey, Brunskill, Moore, McKivitz
DL- (10) Bosa, Kinlaw, Armstead, Ebukam, Key, Jones, Kerr, Hurst Jr, Givens, Ford
LB- (5) Warner, Greenlaw, Al-Shaair, Flan, Harris
CB- (6) Verrett, Mosley, K.Williams, Thomas, Lenior, Webb
S - (4) Ward, Wilson, Hulfanga, Mayden
K- (1) Gould
P- (1) Wishnowsky
LS- (1) Pepper

PUP
Wilson
Moore
Tartt
My updated 53 plus injured lists & practice squad:

QB: Garoppolo/ Lance/ Sudfeld
RB: Mostert/ Sermon/ Gallman/ Mitchell
FB: Juice
WR: Aiyuk/ Deebo/ Sanu/ Sherfield/ Hurd/ Benjamin
TE: Kittle/ Dwelley/ Pruitt/ Woerner
C: Mack/ Brunskill
OG: Laken/ Banks/ McKivitz
OT: Trent/ McGlinchey/ Moore
DE: Bosa/ AA/ Ford/ Ebukam/ Key
DT: Kinlaw/ Givens/Hurst
NT: Jones/ Kerr
LB: Warner/ Dre/ Al-Shaair/ DFF/ Harris
CB: Verrett/ Moseley/ K'Waun/ Thomas/ Lenoir
FS: Ward/ Jefferson
SS: Wilson/ Hufanga
ST: Gould/ Wish/ Pepper

PUP: RB Wilson, FS Moore, SS Tartt
IR: RT Skule, CB Harris
SUSPENDED: DE Willis

PS:

QB Rosen
RB Hasty
FB Hokit
WR Watkins
WR Jennings
TE Matthews
C Brendel
RG Shepley
LT Coleman
LT Gutierrez
DE Barrett
NT Daniels
LB Sullivan
LB Hilliard
CB Johnson
CB Webb
FS Mayden

I just don't see Matthews making it over Pruitt, 1. Matthews has never played TE, and 2. Pruitt is GTD $637,500 of his 2021 cap number.

I went with veterans in Jefferson & Wilson.

I decided on Benjamin likely as PR or KR.

I'm unsure of the 5 inactives, obviously 1 if Sudfeld, another would be a DL, a TE(Woerner), but I hate the idea of both Gallman & Mitchell inactive, then what WR is inactive? I hate the idea of Hurd not playing. Guess it's a good problem to have, so many guys worth playing every week, but you only have 48 spots, wish the NFL would up the Active roster from 53 to like 58 out of camp, with 2 more from PS, then Gameday would be 53 active, so 5 inactive still.

I don't think or see anywhere for a 6th CB, Johnson & Webb are vested veterans, so they can be cut, without going thru waivers, and be re-signed to the PS, and elevated if needed, plus I hate the idea of sitting any of the 5, especially Thomas or Lenoir, they need to be out there, even on STs, plus IMO, both are better already then Webb or Johnson are.

LB wise, I went with DFF for now, I also like the others(Burgess, Sullivan, Hilliard, Griffith)

DL wise, my 10 are my locks, so Street if plays well, I'd hope we could deal him for a late rounder, honestly he's had his chances, same with Richie James, just move on already, enough of Kyle or John, whoever it is, keeping guys that haven't done anything, example, Pettis(yes I was a fan of his, but 2020 showed he sucks), then Trent Taylor(how many opportunities does he need? Horrible PR, only really 2 good years at WR, really rookie year when JG got here.

As for QBs, Jimmy isn't going anywhere, no one can afford his salary, plus he has a NTC, no reason to cut him, neither Sudfeld or Rosen are guys I'd be comfortable with as QB2. I don't care about the savings, I'd rather have Jimmy starts, then maybe mid season if Trey is playing, see if we can't unload Jimmy, but I'm against what the Panthers did with Teddy Bridgewater, eating salary, no reason to, like no reason for Jimmy to take a pay cut.

Offensive Personnel: --- 26
QB: Jimmy Garoppolo; Trey Lance & Nate Sudfeld
RB: Raheem Mostert; Trey Sermon, Wayne Gallman & Elijah Mitchell
FB: Kyle Juszczyk
TE: George Kittle; Ross Dwelley & MyCole Pruitt
XWR: Brandon Aiyuk; Travis Benjamin
SWR/F: Mohamed Sanu; Trent Sherfield
ZWR/F: Deebo Samuel; Jalen Hurd
LT: Trent Williams; Shon Coleman
LG: Laken Tomlinson; Jaylon Moore
C: Alex Mack; Daniel Brunskill
RG: Aaron Banks; Colton McKivitz
RT: Mike McGlinchey

Defensive Personnel: --- 24
LDE/W9: Arik Armstead; Dee Ford & Samson Ebukam
2i: D.J. Jones; Zach Kerr
3T: Javon Kinlaw; Kevin Givens & Maurice Hurst Jr.
RDE/W9: Nick Bosa; Arden Key
SAM/SS: Azeez Al-Shaair; Marcell Harris
MIKE: Fred Warner
WILL: Dre Greenlaw; Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles
RCB: Emmanuel Moseley; Ambrey Thomas
SCB: K'Waun Williams; Deommodore Lenoir
LCB: Jason Verrett
FS: Jimmie Ward; Tony Jefferson
SS: Tavon Wilson; Talanoa Hufanga

Special Teams: --- 3
LS: Taybor Pepper
PK: Robbie Gould
P: Mitch Wishnowsky

KOR: Travis Benjamin & Ambry Thomas
PR: Travis Benjamin
GR: Trent Sherfield & Ambry Thomas
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Offensive Personnel: --- 26
QB: Jimmy Garoppolo; Trey Lance & Nate Sudfeld
RB: Raheem Mostert; Trey Sermon, Wayne Gallman & Elijah Mitchell
FB: Kyle Juszczyk
TE: George Kittle; Ross Dwelley & MyCole Pruitt
XWR: Brandon Aiyuk; Travis Benjamin
SWR/F: Mohamed Sanu; Trent Sherfield
ZWR/F: Deebo Samuel; Jalen Hurd
LT: Trent Williams; Shon Coleman
LG: Laken Tomlinson; Jaylon Moore
C: Alex Mack; Daniel Brunskill
RG: Aaron Banks; Colton McKivitz
RT: Mike McGlinchey

Defensive Personnel: --- 24
LDE/W9: Arik Armstead; Dee Ford & Samson Ebukam
2i: D.J. Jones; Zach Kerr
3T: Javon Kinlaw; Kevin Givens & Maurice Hurst Jr.
RDE/W9: Nick Bosa; Arden Key
SAM/SS: Azeez Al-Shaair; Marcell Harris
MIKE: Fred Warner
WILL: Dre Greenlaw; Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles
RCB: Emmanuel Moseley; Ambrey Thomas
SCB: K'Waun Williams; Deommodore Lenoir
LCB: Jason Verrett
FS: Jimmie Ward; Tony Jefferson
SS: Tavon Wilson; Talanoa Hufanga

Special Teams: --- 3
LS: Taybor Pepper
PK: Robbie Gould
P: Mitch Wishnowsky

KOR: Travis Benjamin & Ambry Thomas
PR: Travis Benjamin
GR: Trent Sherfield & Ambry Thomas

where is my son? you hate my son
I keep seeing Benjamin in these 53s. Over James, Jennings and even White? I haven't heard a peep about Benjamin this TC. Is he making the team over James and Jennings/White bc of KR and PR duties?
Mims might be on the bubble for the Jets. If he gets cut would you pick him up? I remember some wanted the Niners to draft him a couple of years ago when we were looking at the WR class.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Mims might be on the bubble for the Jets. If he gets cut would you pick him up? I remember some wanted the Niners to draft him a couple of years ago when we were looking at the WR class.

I liked him coming out, but at this point WR is the last thing we need. Benjamin, James, Jennings, White, Watkins all fighting to MAYBE make last spot on roster and MAYBE make PS. Crazy to say but I don't see how Mims is going to help us anymore than what we have.
[ Edited by kansasninerfan on Aug 8, 2021 at 10:03 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone