LISTEN: 49ers Snatch Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory →

There are 265 users in the forums

***The Forever Official 53-MAN ROSTER/DEPTH CHART/PS Thread***

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Sure!

So there was reports Tartt couldn't finish practice and was seen working his toe manually which is a pretty good indication his turf toe isn't responding. My guess, with Ward, Clinton-Dix, Wilson & Hufanga and with Harris able to play hybrid, they pulled Tartt off the PUP to see where he's at. It doesn't look good but we'll see.

Hurd still looked tentative in his agility drills but still made catches in practice including a fly sweep. If he makes it through the Raiders game he'll make the roster. He'll make it either way IMHO because of his upside, talent and the fact they spent a 3rd rounder on him.

Richie is done here. 6 week knee injury and was already outside looking in.

Mitchell is back and looked solid but probably too little too late ATM.

Agreed. Matthews would have to be a 4th TE. Not the 3rd over Woerner.

Thanks as always NC,

I think they'd likely put Tartt on short term IR, that way if he can come back, he only has to miss the first 3 games.

I don't see them cutting Mitchell, I really hope they keep him & Hasty somehow, would be wild if they kept all 5 backs + Juice.

I guess the roster could look something like this.

QB(2-3): Garoppolo & Lance, maybe Sudfeld(I hope not)
RB(4-5): Mostert, Sermon, Gallman, Mitchell & Hasty (Wilson on PUP)
FB(1): Juice
WR(6-7): Aiyuk, Deebo, Sherfield, Sanu, Benjamin or Webster, & Jennings or Hurd
TE(3-4): Kittle, Dwelley, Woerner, & maybe Matthews or Pruitt
OL(8): Mack, Brunskill, Banks, Laken, McKivitz, Trent, Moore, & McGlinchey
DE(5): Bosa, AA, Dee, Ebukam, & Key
DT(3): Kinlaw, Givens, & Street (Hurst on short term IR)
NT(2): Jones, & Kerr
LB(5-6): Warner, Dre, Al-Shaair, Harris, Griffith and/or Flannigan-Fowles
CB(5): Verrett, Moseley, K'Waun, Ambry, Lenoir
FS(2): Ward, & Wilson or Ha Ha or Mayden (Moore on PUP)
SS(2): Tartt & Hufanga
ST(3): Gould, Wish, & Pepper

60 total players listed, I just can't wait to see what combination they keep, I just hope just 2 QBs, Sudfeld isn't worth a spot, same, IMO, for a 9th OL, just put Brendel & Coleman on the PS, they don't go through waivers.

Could they keep all 5 backs? What about 7 WRs? I'd hate to lose either Jennings or Hurd. 5 or 6 LBs? If Tartt starts on IR, then 2 of Wilson, Ha Ha, & Mayden makes it. And a 4th TE? I can't wait.

So are they reverting to the previous practice squad rules or keeping it the same as last years? Or changed it altogether?
Originally posted by Sourball:
So are they reverting to the previous practice squad rules or keeping it the same as last years? Or changed it altogether?

same as 2020.

same as 2020.

Every year there's at least one shocking cut. Who is it going to be this year? Not rooting for this, but it usually happens and has the zone saying with Nooo, or about time.

Im guessing Tartt is done and would be the most surprising for me.

Benjamin makes James expendable, not sure if we can keep or stash James on IR based on the other guys who can go on short term IR and the limits.

It would make sense to stash a DL or OL based on how fast they went down last year in the early season and doubt on the reliability of players coming back from injury like Ford.
[ Edited by mitpdub on Aug 28, 2021 at 9:15 AM ]

I should also mention that last years rules weren't due to COVID-19, they are apart of the new 2020 CBA, the only difference last year was going from I think 12 to 16 practice squaders, and the ability to have players active from the PS due to COVID, normally you're only allowed 2, per the CBA, but last year with COVID, you're allowed to have 2 like normal plus however many players are out due to COVID. As for players eligibility, everyone is eligible, but you can only have a max of 4 with 3 or more Accrued years, but it's been bumped up to 6 due to COVID, the only thing new last year was the IR rules, normally you can't bring back an unlimited amount of players from IR, just 2, and you had to wait I think 8 weeks, but for 2021 it's the same as 2020, unlimited players to come back, and only 3 weeks before they can come back.

So, this is basically how it looks.

Per CBA:

Practice Squad limit gets increased in 2020, and beyond
2 players can be active from the practice squad, every PS player can only play 2 games per season
only 2 players can come back from IR after 8 weeks

2020 changes(temporary):

COVID-19 list
You can have as many PS players active due to COVID, so if 4 players are on the reserve/COVID-19 list, then you can have 6 PS players active, these games don't count towards the 2 games maximum played.
IR Rules, unlimited players back after just 3 weeks

Hopefully the NFL adopts the 2020 rules when it comes to IR, allow an unlimited number, after 3 weeks on IR, to come back, or just frigging up the roster limits, 53 isn't enough, and 48 on gamedays isn't enough, that won't change, you'll still have inactives, but push the roster to 58 or 60 with 53 on gameday or 55 on gameday depending on whether it's 58 or 60 man roster.
Originally posted by mitpdub:
Every year there's at least one shocking cut. Who is it going to be this year? Not rooting for this, but it usually happens and has the zone saying with Nooo, or about time.

Benjamin makes James expendable, not sure if we can keep or stash James on IR based on the other guys who can go on short term IR and the limits.

It would make sense to stash a DL or OL based on how fast they went down last year in the early season and doubt on the reliability of players coming back from injury like Ford.

They probably put Tartt on short term IR, no limit to that, plus his deal is fully GTD.

The KR/PR is either Benjamin or Webster, James will go on short term IR most likely.

10 DL will be on the 53 to begin 2021(AA, Bosa, Dee, Ebukam, Key, Jones, Kerr, Kinlaw, Givens & Street) with Hurst on short term IR, and Willis on the reserve/Suspended list for the first 6 games.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Trey Lance doesn't make the cut.

"Trump's 4D chess" take

They probably put Tartt on short term IR, no limit to that, plus his deal is fully GTD.

The KR/PR is either Benjamin or Webster, James will go on short term IR most likely.

10 DL will be on the 53 to begin 2021(AA, Bosa, Dee, Ebukam, Key, Jones, Kerr, Kinlaw, Givens & Street) with Hurst on short term IR, and Willis on the reserve/Suspended list for the first 6 games.

Solid predictions. But no drama !
I'm really hoping Hurd can do something this weekend and just be active game 1.

i didn't know they had unlimited IR spots. Might as well stash as many dinged up as you can if you can afford it.
Sure!

So there were reports Tartt couldn't finish practice and was seen working his toe manually which is a pretty good indication his turf toe isn't responding.

Where did you read this?
Originally posted by RasSuar:
Sure!

So there were reports Tartt couldn't finish practice and was seen working his toe manually which is a pretty good indication his turf toe isn't responding.

Where did you read this?

i didn't know they had unlimited IR spots. Might as well stash as many dinged up as you can if you can afford it.

Me 2, I want Hurd to just show something, I get Kyle saying he's one of our top 6, but idk where he fits in as active, Deebo, Aiyuk, & Sherfield are locks to be active week 1, then I'm assuming Sanu too, but who's the Returner? Webster or Benjamin? I really wish Mitchell had been healthy, I wanted him to win that job, I just wonder if Kyle will have 6 WRs active if Hurd makes it. I also want Jennings on the 53, so I wonder if 2 QBs, will they keep 7 WRs? Cuts will be very tough Tuesday.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Me 2, I want Hurd to just show something, I get Kyle saying he's one of our top 6, but idk where he fits in as active, Deebo, Aiyuk, & Sherfield are locks to be active week 1, then I'm assuming Sanu too, but who's the Returner? Webster or Benjamin? I really wish Mitchell had been healthy, I wanted him to win that job, I just wonder if Kyle will have 6 WRs active if Hurd makes it. I also want Jennings on the 53, so I wonder if 2 QBs, will they keep 7 WRs? Cuts will be very tough Tuesday.

Is he still injured, what good is he going to be, if he makes the club, but isn't healthy enough to play?
[ Edited by mayo49 on Aug 28, 2021 at 2:38 PM ]
Only 52 players make the 53 players roster.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Only 52 players make the 53 players roster.

True or else if it's known you're #53 expect to get cut once we vulture a surprise cut from another team.
Originally posted by mayo49:

Is he still injured, what good is he going to be, if he makes the club, but isn't healthy enough to play?

Reports are that he's been practicing all week and ready for this weeks game.
Share 49ersWebzone