Cardinals stun turnover-plagued 49ers 24-23 after second-half comeback →

There are 396 users in the forums

***The Forever Official 53-MAN ROSTER/DEPTH CHART/PS Thread***

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Hopefully the owners come to their senses, cause they need to increase roster size ASAP, sooner than later, I'm all for inactives and all, seeing as a lot of players have those in their contract for per game roster bonuses, but, they need to up rosters, both total & active on gameday, keep 16 man PS too, IR rules too, only miss 3 games and you can come back, and no limit on how many players per year.

A thot just occurred to me…is there a remote possibility that this isn't an owner's thing but rather, a NFLPA thing? The players that are already there…they would just as soon not see rosters increased because it could conceivably cut into their yrs in league or perhaps even $$$ in contract? Nah, no point in putting forward a conspiracy theory when that is only an idle thot.

It probably is the owners not wanting to dish out $$$ for yet more players, esp in small market franchises, eg , GB, Minn,. Or it could be horse's patoots like little Danny Snyder .Just an idle thot…almost surely this IS of the owner's doing….just more money out of pocket for more guys who are insurance policies in case of injuries to any of starting 22, and their immediate backups.

Ocam's razor…simplest distance between two points is a straight line, OR, simplest answer is usually the right one….it almost surely is the owner's.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
A thot just occurred to me…is there a remote possibility that this isn't an owner's thing but rather, a NFLPA thing? The players that are already there…they would just as soon not see rosters increased because it could conceivably cut into their yrs in league or perhaps even $$$ in contract? Nah, no point in putting forward a conspiracy theory when that is only an idle thot.

It probably is the owners not wanting to dish out $$$ for yet more players, esp in small market franchises, eg , GB, Minn,. Or it could be horse's patoots like little Danny Snyder .Just an idle thot…almost surely this IS of the owner's doing….just more money out of pocket for more guys who are insurance policies in case of injuries to any of starting 22, and their immediate backups.

Ocam's razor…simplest distance between two points is a straight line, OR, simplest answer is usually the right one….it almost surely is the owner's.

Yeah I'd lean towards the NFL(Goodell) & the Owners on this, players union would likely welcome higher cap, and more jobs, if they upped it by 5 a team, that's 160 new spots, & if it's just the rookie minimum, which is $705K this year, that's $112.8M more league wide, or $3.525M per team. Has to be owners who want rosters at 53, heck if they had their way they'd have it even fewer, they're all greedy, it's why I'm usually always on the side of the players, especially in the CBA negotiations, players end up getting screwed over.
Here's our current roster as I see it, Bold are IMO locks to make the team or start on NFI, PUP, or IR.

Offense:
QB(4): 5 Trey Lance(2024), 10 Jimmy Garoppolo(2022), 7 Nate Sudfeld(2022), & -- Brock Purdy(2025)
RB(6): 25 Elijah Mitchell(2024), 22 Jeff Wilson Jr.(2022), 28 Trey Sermon(2024), -- Tyrion Davis-Price(2025), 23 JaMycal Hasty(2022), & -- Jordan Mason(2024)
FB(2): 44 Kyle Juszcyzk(2025), & 40 Josh Hokit(2022)
WR(12): 19 Deebo Samuel(2022), 11 Brandon Aiyuk(2023), 15 Jauan Jennings(2022), 3 Ray-Ray McCloud(2023), -- Danny Gray(2025), 17 Malik Turner(2022), 6 Marcus Johnson(2022), 81 Austin Mack(2022), 83 Connor Wedington(2022), -- KeeSean Johnson(2022), -- Tay Martin(2024), & -- Taysir Mack(2024)
TE(6): 85 George Kittle(2025), 89 Charlie Woerner(2023), 82 Ross Dwelley(2022), 84 Tanner Hudson(2022), 88 Jordan Matthews(2022), & -- Garrett Walston(2024)
C(4): 50 Alex Mack(2023), 64 Jake Brendel(2022), -- Dohnovan West(2024), & -- Jason Poe(2024)
OG(6): 65 Aaron Banks(2024), 76 Jaylon Moore(2024), 60 Daniel Brunskill(2022), -- Nick Zakelj(2025), & 66 Keaton Sutherland(2022)
OT(7): 71 Trent Williams(2026), 69 Mike McGlinchey(2022), -- Spencer Burford(2025), 68 Colton McKivitz(2022), 67 Justin Skule(2022), Sam Schlueter(2024), & 77 Alfredo Gutierrez(2022)

Defense:
DE(9): 97 Nick Bosa(2023), 56 Samson Ebukam(2022), 92 Kerry Hyder Jr.(2022), 53 Kemoko Turay(2022), 94 Charles Omenihu(2022), -- Drake Jackson(2025), 75 Jordan Willis(2022), 55 Dee Ford(2022), & 58 Alex Barrett(2022)
DT(4): 91 Arik Armstead(2024), 90 Kevin Givens(2022), 96 Maurice Hurst Jr.(2022), & -- Kevin Atkins(2024)
NT(4): 99 Javon Kinlaw(2023), 98 Hassan Ridgeway(2022), -- Kalia Davis(2025), & 78 Chris Slayton(2022)
LB(8): 54 Fred Warner(2026), 57 Dre Greenlaw(2022), 51 Azeez Al-Shaair(2022), 48 Oren Burks(2023), 45 Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles(2022), -- Jeremiah Gemmel(2024), -- Segun Olubi(2024), & -- Marcelino McCrary-Ball(2024)
CB(11): 35 Charvarius Ward(2024), 4 Emmanuel Moseley(2022), 20 Ambry Thomas(2024), 38 Deommodore Lenoir(2024), 27 Dontae Johnson(2022), -- Samuel Womack(2025), -- Tariq Castro-Fields(2025), 2 Jason Verrett(2022), 24 Ka'dar Hollman(2022), -- Qwuantrezz Knight(2024), & -- Tayler Hawkins(2024)
S(5): 1 Jimmie Ward(2022), 33 Tarvarius Moore(2022), 29 Talanoa Hufanga(2024), 30 George Odum(2024), & -- Leon O'Neal Jr.(2024)

Special Teams:
PK(1): 9 Robbie Gould(2022)
P(1): 18 Mitch Wishnowsky(2022)
LS(1): 46 Taybor Pepper(2022)

On point. Obviously, there are competitions still to be had, but if everything breaks right this is how I'd expect it to shake out in September. Based on this forecast 23 spots are locked on offense and 25 on defense. One of the two remaining spots would be filled by a back-up C/G. That leaves one slot for:

1. 6th WR (Turner vs. Johnson?)
  2. 5th HB (Hasty)
  3. 10th OL (Poe the Swiss army knife?)
  4. 11th DL (Willis, Hurst, or Givens?)
  5. 5th LB or S (All in for the Special Teams?)

Sitting here in May not knowing how the camp battles will ultimately shake out, I think option 4 adds the most value… but that could change.
With all the talent, filling out the roster/positions will be a numbers game. Here's how I think it'll shake out:

QB: 2 (Lance, Sudfeld)
RB: 4 (Mitchell, Davis-Price, Wilson, Sermon)
FB: 1 (Juice)
TE: 3 (Kittle, Woerner, Dwelley)
OL: 9 (Williams, Banks, Brendel, Moore, McGlinchey, Brunskill, McKivitz, Burford, West OR Zakelj)
WR: 6 (Samuel, Aiyuk, Jennings, Gray, McCloud, Turner OR Johnson)
DE: 6 (Bosa, Ebukam, Jackson, Hyder, Omenihu, Turay OR Willis)
DT: 5 (Kinlaw, Armstead, Hurst, Givens, Ridgeway)
LB: 4 (Warner, Al-Shaair, Greenlaw, Burks)
CB: 6 (Ward, Thomas, Moseley, Womack, Verrett, Lenoir OR Castro-Fields)
S: 4 (Ward, Hufanga, Moore, Odum)
LS: 1 (Pepper)
P: 1 (Mitch)
K: 1 (Gould)

Other thoughts:
1) The roster is 90% set. I don't see too many battles or "upsets"
2) 9 OL feels right with the players they have and recently drafted. 10 is too much. Im also assuming Mack is retiring, but if he returns, West/Zakejl get bounced)
3) Kalia Davis will start on NFI/PUP to give him time to heal
4) If Verrett isnt all the way back yet, he could start on PUP and Donte Johnson would take his spot. Veteran experience...and...cant get rid of him!
5) UDFA webzone crush Leon O'Neal is destined for the practice squad.
Lynch said before the draft that he felt pretty good about their roster and didn't see a lot of openings for new players. That's probably one reason he didn't do a lot of trading up or back. There were some decent players available but would they have been able to beat out guys they already have.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
On point. Obviously, there are competitions still to be had, but if everything breaks right this is how I'd expect it to shake out in September. Based on this forecast 23 spots are locked on offense and 25 on defense. One of the two remaining spots would be filled by a back-up C/G. That leaves one slot for:

1. 6th WR (Turner vs. Johnson?)
  2. 5th HB (Hasty)
  3. 10th OL (Poe the Swiss army knife?)
  4. 11th DL (Willis, Hurst, or Givens?)
  5. 5th LB or S (All in for the Special Teams?)

Sitting here in May not knowing how the camp battles will ultimately shake out, I think option 4 adds the most value… but that could change.

Agreed, I think either 10th OL or 11th DL would be wise, I think Hufanga could play LB if needed, maybe Odum(idk though), but a 6th WR, idk, if we do, I think it's Malik Turner, or someone surprises, Johnson, Martin, Mack, etc...

Originally posted by Blake_Fever:
With all the talent, filling out the roster/positions will be a numbers game. Here's how I think it'll shake out:

QB: 2 (Lance, Sudfeld)
RB: 4 (Mitchell, Davis-Price, Wilson, Sermon)
FB: 1 (Juice)
TE: 3 (Kittle, Woerner, Dwelley)
OL: 9 (Williams, Banks, Brendel, Moore, McGlinchey, Brunskill, McKivitz, Burford, West OR Zakelj)
WR: 6 (Samuel, Aiyuk, Jennings, Gray, McCloud, Turner OR Johnson)
DE: 6 (Bosa, Ebukam, Jackson, Hyder, Omenihu, Turay OR Willis)
DT: 5 (Kinlaw, Armstead, Hurst, Givens, Ridgeway)
LB: 4 (Warner, Al-Shaair, Greenlaw, Burks)
CB: 6 (Ward, Thomas, Moseley, Womack, Verrett, Lenoir OR Castro-Fields)
S: 4 (Ward, Hufanga, Moore, Odum)
LS: 1 (Pepper)
P: 1 (Mitch)
K: 1 (Gould)

Other thoughts:
1) The roster is 90% set. I don't see too many battles or "upsets"
2) 9 OL feels right with the players they have and recently drafted. 10 is too much. Im also assuming Mack is retiring, but if he returns, West/Zakejl get bounced)
3) Kalia Davis will start on NFI/PUP to give him time to heal
4) If Verrett isnt all the way back yet, he could start on PUP and Donte Johnson would take his spot. Veteran experience...and...cant get rid of him!
5) UDFA webzone crush Leon O'Neal is destined for the practice squad.

Agreed with the assessment, one thing I will say, Turay has $1M of his $1.6M base GTD, I think he's a lock, it comes down to Willis or Omenihu IMO, with Omenihu winning.

I really hope we don't lose either Lenoir or Castro-Fields.

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Lynch said before the draft that he felt pretty good about their roster and didn't see a lot of openings for new players. That's probably one reason he didn't do a lot of trading up or back. There were some decent players available but would they have been able to beat out guys they already have.

This is what I really meant by not many holes, I doubt a rookie would beat out the guys we have, i's gonna be tough to make this team.
Agreed, I think either 10th OL or 11th DL would be wise, I think Hufanga could play LB if needed, maybe Odum(idk though), but a 6th WR, idk, if we do, I think it's Malik Turner, or someone surprises, Johnson, Martin, Mack, etc...

Agreed with the assessment, one thing I will say, Turay has $1M of his $1.6M base GTD, I think he's a lock, it comes down to Willis or Omenihu IMO, with Omenihu winning.

This is what I really meant by not many holes, I doubt a rookie would beat out the guys we have, i's gonna be tough to make this team.

We sometimes get too excited by rookies and forget how much they have to learn. With a few exceptions, a guy that's been on the team for a couple of years is going to have a big edge over a rookie.
I thought Dennard might have a shot.
Originally posted by kirkscrafford:

Completely forgot about him, yeah he has a shot, maybe less with Verrett back, & the new CBs from the draft.

Completely forgot about him, yeah he has a shot, maybe less with Verrett back, & the new CBs from the draft.

Dennard is a pure slot CB if I remember correctly and one of the first to resign by our FO. He's most likely starting until a young guy like Lenoir or Womack proves better.

Based on John's comments about letting Verrett rehab with us, he's more likely to start on the PUP list? And with his knees, probably wouldn't be a good fit for the slot CB role anymore?
[ Edited by NCommand on May 8, 2022 at 11:44 AM ]

Thanks for the reminder AB. Checking on who has the GTD $$$ and who doesn't is key to knowing who sticks and who doesn't . Somehow i forget to look at that when we are talking LOCKS vs those who aren't. True it isn't 100% all the time, but it sure is close, and gives a pretty good idea of who is going to stick around and who isn't.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Dennard is a pure slot CB if I remember correctly and one of the first to resign by our FO. He's most likely starting until a young guy like Lenoir or Womack proves better.

Based on John's comments about letting Verrett rehab with us, he's more likely to start on the PUP list? And with his knees, probably wouldn't be a good fit for the slot CB role anymore?

I have a feeling they'll keep Johnson over Dennard, Johnson has some significant GTD money.

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Thanks for the reminder AB. Checking on who has the GTD $$$ and who doesn't is key to knowing who sticks and who doesn't . Somehow i forget to look at that when we are talking LOCKS vs those who aren't. True it isn't 100% all the time, but it sure is close, and gives a pretty good idea of who is going to stick around and who isn't.

Yeah, the GTD money is a huge thing for me for when I'm projecting rosters, teams hate to eat cap room, but if the guy plays horrible, you have no choice but to cut him, we've done it under Shanahan, 2018, we signed an OL & EDGE guy, both got guaranteed money, both cut, forget the names.
I think the guaranteed money for Johnson means he can be moved off and on the practice squad to protect someone else they want to look at. He's getting paid anyways so he's more likely to be okay with it.
I think the guaranteed money for Johnson means he can be moved off and on the practice squad to protect someone else they want to look at. He's getting paid anyways so he's more likely to be okay with it.

I'm hoping that happens, so we don't lose any of Lenoir, Womack, and Castro-Fields, all 3 have a lot of upside, talent, potential, etc..... So hope you're right, I do think DJ is the kind of guy to do it, where most want to be on a 53-man, and active each week.

I'm hoping that happens, so we don't lose any of Lenoir, Womack, and Castro-Fields, all 3 have a lot of upside, talent, potential, etc..... So hope you're right, I do think DJ is the kind of guy to do it, where most want to be on a 53-man, and active each week.

Good point Kirk. This is like last year when he's up/down and mostly ST now that we have better depth
Share 49ersWebzone