There are 174 users in the forums

Assuming Jimmy Garoppolo is healthy after the bye, what should we do?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Assuming Jimmy Garoppolo is healthy after the bye, what should we do?

I say we go with Jrey Lanappolo. Supa Bowl
Cons of playing Jimmy
  • has limitations. Can't throw a number of routes
  • defenses have figured him out. They know he can't throw deep. WRs have guys draped all over them because they understand that the intermediate and short routes are coming
  • his game lends for more injuries, whether its throwing more hospital balls or because as stated above that defenders just sit back, pin their ears back at the receivers since they know Jimmy can't stretch the field vertically
  • seems to be prone to make that one bonehead INT a game

Cons of playing Lance
  • he has a long ways to go. Jimmy is just better at converting 3rd downs at this point in his career
  • overthrows receivers at times
  • chance of completely ruining his confidence
  • mechanics (long windup) seems to leave us vulnerable to batted passes. Hopefully the one game is not enough sample size of this issue
  • no chemistry with his teammates. This can be seen in the dropped balls. Receivers are not yet use to the fast balls

We know what we are getting from Jimmy. I believe we are .500 team with him starting, which is his record since seems losing the SB. He can't carry a team to victories just with his arm, he needs a good running game and a good defense. At this point, I think we start the rook and let him learn on the job. I think our running game will be better with Lance playing. With Jimmy, I feel defenses just stack the box.
Originally posted by asu49ers:
Cons of playing Jimmy
  • has limitations. Can't throw a number of routes
  • defenses have figured him out. They know he can't throw deep. WRs have guys draped all over them because they understand that the intermediate and short routes are coming
  • his game lends for more injuries, whether its throwing more hospital balls or because as stated above that defenders just sit back, pin their ears back at the receivers since they know Jimmy can't stretch the field vertically
  • seems to be prone to make that one bonehead INT a game

Cons of playing Lance
  • he has a long ways to go. Jimmy is just better at converting 3rd downs at this point in his career
  • overthrows receivers at times
  • chance of completely ruining his confidence
  • mechanics (long windup) seems to leave us vulnerable to batted passes. Hopefully the one game is not enough sample size of this issue
  • no chemistry with his teammates. This can be seen in the dropped balls. Receivers are not yet use to the fast balls

We know what we are getting from Jimmy. I believe we are .500 team with him starting, which is his record since seems losing the SB. He can't carry a team to victories just with his arm, he needs a good running game and a good defense. At this point, I think we start the rook and let him learn on the job. I think our running game will be better with Lance playing. With Jimmy, I feel defenses just stack the box.

This list is great, but we should also include the pros for each. I was thinking about this the other day, as there are plenty of smaller factors that get lost. Here are just a few for Lance:

Building chemistry and trust with receivers. This can absolutely not happen while holding a clipboard.

Allowing receivers to acclimate to the ball he throws. People love to trash him for throwing a fastball that's uncatchable, but truth is these dudes are paid to professionally catch a ball. The more they play with Lance, the easier it will come.

Acclimating to the speed of the game. Again, tough to get on the bench.

Building confidence.

Probably tons more, and there are also pros on the Jimmy side, but Lance is the future, and the sooner he becomes the starter, the quicker this whole process will be.
With our O-line issues I'm not sure I want Trey starting. His long term development is priority #1. There's no way the game plan can be what it was yesterday. It was straight trash. The O-line needs to pull their heads out of their asses. Aiyuk too.

Also, if the league has figured out Shanahan's zone run scheme, then Trey certainly gives us more options.

In the end this is on Shanahan, I don't want Trey, or Jimmy for that matter, being scapegoated for bad coaching and awful game plans.
If Kyle is going to put Lance in harm's way as often as he did yesterday, just play Nate. You can't get anything in a trade for JG if he's folded in half like a lawn chair. And, giving up multiple firsts just so Trey can suffer the same inevitable fate isn't worth it either.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Start Jimmy of course and do what has always been done on rookie QBs with Lance, that is to give him time to develop. Just because you throw him in the fire now, it doesn't necessarily mean he will be ready sooner, in fact it could have the opposite effect if you are not careful. Players sometimes need time to soak things in.

We are very lucky to have an owner who is willing to put in that kind of investment to keep Jimmy all the way until the end of his contract in order to develop Lance properly and we should make good use of that time. What Jed didn't sign up for is to play Lance prematurely and to tank the team. Lance is simply not ready, he is lost out there. You can't play a future franchise QB like a power back who runs between the tackles and dives down head first in every other play. I don't think I have even seen him slide once.

Never underestimate the role of the scout team QB and how it can help to develop a QB. Lance needs to take those reps seriously. And who came up through the scout team system? Aaron Rodgers and he did 3 years of it!
Start him. Trey is now hurt... This team is cursed.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Stevec9932:
Start him. Trey is now hurt... This team is cursed.

Oh, I just saw that. Are we even surprised when the kid runs like a bull in between tackles diving head down in every other play? Not even a healthy 21 year old 6'4" 226 lbs specimen can handle that kind of beating.
Maybe we could sign Tebow and have him be our QB
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:

We pretty much already traded three #1s for Tebow

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Jose Cortez? That you?
Originally posted by Waterbear:

Jose Cortez? That you?

QB rotation depending on field position. Leaning to more snaps with Jimmy.

If Defo is playing prepare to see the shovel come out on Jimmy though.
Jimmy isnt good without a run game. And we dont have the run game we had in 2019
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

Is nice to have some light humor in these trying times. I appreciate that.
Share 49ersWebzone