Save 30% at the 49ers official online store →

There are 184 users in the forums

What will Jimmy's trade value be in the offseason?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What will Jimmy's trade value be in the offseason?

I remember when people said Jimmy G was a top 15 QB. Special times
Cut him
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Shoot I remember top 6
Originally posted by captainhook:
There are no more trade partners. The fat lady is singing. Time to cut him. If he's still available when training camp starts, maybe sign him to be a backup.

Probably better to hold onto him until he passes his physical, and then cut him. Not giving him anymore checks. He can go compete for a backup job elsewhere.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Just comparing our QB spending to other clubs to put it in perspective. We see teams around the league (Packers, Rams, Browns) entering $50m plus cap hits in single seasons for one player. Hard for us to moan about having too much tied up in QBs in that environment, especially with JG coming off the books soon whether a matter of hours or months.
I agree that all of this isn't the end of the world for the team. However, 2 points for counter argument:

1. The teams paying $50m per year have an established franchise qb. We have a hopeful franchise qb and a backup paid like a starter.

2. having a great qb on a rookie contract is a boon for the team to spend money to build the team around the qb. Not to have the highest paid player on the team looking over the new qbs shoulder.
Originally posted by 49ers808:

Shoot I remember top 6

Guess the Jimmy "haters" were just being objective all along

Shoot I remember top 6
i think i read he was better than montana and young and even better than all 49er QBs combined in the playoffs
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Mar 21, 2022 at 2:13 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
NFL is "finally waking up" to not signing 30 year old QBs coming off a delayed shoulder surgery with a significant injury history. Who would've thought

Haha. Injuryscuses. Love it.
i think the surgery really added to the 27 mill, trade comp and injury history when aquiring JG

I new the missing of the offseason with a new team was going to be a deterrent for a team looking to trade for James.

With or without Jimmy's cap hit, there are other bottom feeding teams out-competing the 49ers for all those elite free agents, specially some of our own depth players that we had to let go. I think even with Jimmy's cap removed, ShanaLynch would not have splurged on many free agents anyway, and one reason is I think they are focused on keeping their own free agents and signing Bosa and Deebo.

Jimmy's shoulder injury operation really hit at a bad time, just right as free agency was commencing and trades were going on. I'm pretty confident that ShanaLynch will eventually be able to trade Jimmy, specially once his shoulder's healed, but clearly the compensation won't be the same as if he was healthy going into the free agency period.
It's in Trey's (and our) best interest to have the best team possible surrounding him. Jimmy's money would go some way to doing that.

If Trey really is ready then keeping Jimmy does more to hinder than help us.
People panic but if you look at our QB room it's about $36m to QBs. And that's with JG who's coming off the books soon. Cleveland next year is paying $55m to one dude lol. We got plenty of cash.

Salary Cap will go up next year and pretty much every year after.

Watson's deal will look like Jimmy G's deal in a couple years.

• DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BOI49er:
Originally posted by DrEll:
if we cut Jimmy, are we on the hook for the remainder of his contract ?

No. Save about $25m of his $27m. We pay an injury settlement of $7.5m if he can't pass a physical that will be offset dollar for dollar If he gets a new contract with anybody.

in that case, Id wait until Baker gets traded, then release him. Let him scramble around (with his agent) to find some scrap heap to find some playing time.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by pdc20:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
My theory (bc I am innately petty) is that the 49ers felt surprised and screwed by the late surgery, and interpreted it as a move by Jimmy's camp to secure a release from the team so that he could choose his destination. In doing so, he tanked his trade value and possibly scared off potential trade partners.

If that is the case, I would (if I was the 49ers) hold onto Jimmy until every spot was filled, then release him and let him and his agent beg for a chance to compete somewhere.

I could totally see that scenario. Kyle is not someone you want to piss generally.
Besides Don Yee always plays a weird game with the Niners between Garoppolo and Brady.
It wouldn´t be the most shocking thing we would see in NFL.
remember that story that came out mid season when one of the Patriots player called jimmy a b***h for taking himself out of the game right before game time to save himself for Free agency ?

this really could be a move to get cut

Bro I got suspended for posting those vids. I offended the jimmy lovers. JIMMY IS A b***h. And has been since New England

Shoot I remember top 6

Top 6? I remember top 3 and MVP candidate.
Originally posted by ltrain:
Just comparing our QB spending to other clubs to put it in perspective. We see teams around the league (Packers, Rams, Browns) entering $50m plus cap hits in single seasons for one player. Hard for us to moan about having too much tied up in QBs in that environment, especially with JG coming off the books soon whether a matter of hours or months.
I agree that all of this isn't the end of the world for the team. However, 2 points for counter argument:

1. The teams paying $50m per year have an established franchise qb. We have a hopeful franchise qb and a backup paid like a starter.

2. having a great qb on a rookie contract is a boon for the team to spend money to build the team around the qb. Not to have the highest paid player on the team looking over the new qbs shoulder.

Yup good points. One point I was trying to get across, if we think it's tough juggling re-signing our stars with $36m, imagine how these clubs are with $50+m. Sure great QBs but they still have the issue of retaining everyone else, and we are in better shape there. Next year we have $9m under contract (TL).
If lynch had really two 2nd on the table and didnt triggered the trade it shows he didnt really understand the market for JG…
unless it's from the seahawks
Share 49ersWebzone