Save 30% at the 49ers official online store →

There are 185 users in the forums

What will Jimmy's trade value be in the offseason?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What will Jimmy's trade value be in the offseason?

• DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NotAFinga42:
Everyone is finally seeing what Jimmy's true value is. Good news is that Kyle can take a team with a QB the rest of the league sees as a chocolate mess to the Super Bowl. Can't wait to see what he does with a real QB.

It would be really funny if Jimmy can't find a home this offseason and he renegotiates his contract with the 49ers - lowers his salary to a backup level salary (whatever that is), gets his shoulder healed and then finds a home next year, or the year after. I doubt that would happen and I doubt Jimmy's going to be cut but I would think if ShanaLynch decides (for whatever reason to keep him on the roster for 2022) I'd hope they'd try to renegotiate that salary cap hit down from 27 million.

Having said that, there's still a lot of time to Trade Jimmy. The draft is coming up, and what I think is holding things up is the time it takes for him to heal and prove to the NFL he can still throw the football. Once his shoulder is healed, it will be much easier to trade Jimmy at that point.

I was open to the idea of having him back Trey up for a hot second, but just don't think that'd be good for the locker room. Once he gets the chance to play for another team not coached by Kyle though, and the weaknesses in his game are exposed, I'd be open to him returning as a backup if the money is right.

There's still a lot of options with Jimmy. Cut him, trade him, keep him, are the most viable options. Now if they keep him, I would think they would do something about that 27 million cap hit, considering the 49ers were bending over backwards to get him to a good team - and no fault of the 49ers - got screwed by that unexpected shoulder injury operation at the last minute.

Still, I think there is a good chance he will be traded, not kept. Using that unexpected shoulder operation is key here. With that, I can now see him going to a bottom feeding team, as the QB and the 49ers getting a draft pick compensation. The 49ers excuse to trade him to a bottom feeder team (vs a playoff ready team) is that unexpected shoulder injury operation. I think both the 49ers and Jimmy can come to an understanding that despite the 49ers best efforts to get him into a playoff ready team, through no fault of either party, that shoulder operation screwed everything up. The 49ers will now have to protect the team - and get that cap space freed up. Jimmy will go to a bottom feeder team, and have the option to get a new team and a new contract after a year. He will still get his 27 million, so hopefully there should be no hard feelings. We shall see.

you dont say ?
Originally posted by DrEll:
Everyone is finally seeing what Jimmy's true value is. Good news is that Kyle can take a team with a QB the rest of the league sees as a chocolate mess to the Super Bowl. Can't wait to see what he does with a real QB.

It would be really funny if Jimmy can't find a home this offseason and he renegotiates his contract with the 49ers - lowers his salary to a backup level salary (whatever that is), gets his shoulder healed and then finds a home next year, or the year after. I doubt that would happen and I doubt Jimmy's going to be cut but I would think if ShanaLynch decides (for whatever reason to keep him on the roster for 2022) I'd hope they'd try to renegotiate that salary cap hit down from 27 million.

Having said that, there's still a lot of time to Trade Jimmy. The draft is coming up, and what I think is holding things up is the time it takes for him to heal and prove to the NFL he can still throw the football. Once his shoulder is healed, it will be much easier to trade Jimmy at that point.

I was open to the idea of having him back Trey up for a hot second, but just don't think that'd be good for the locker room. Once he gets the chance to play for another team not coached by Kyle though, and the weaknesses in his game are exposed, I'd be open to him returning as a backup if the money is right.

There's still a lot of options with Jimmy. Cut him, trade him, keep him, are the most viable options. Now if they keep him, I would think they would do something about that 27 million cap hit, considering the 49ers were bending over backwards to get him to a good team - and no fault of the 49ers - got screwed by that unexpected shoulder injury operation at the last minute.

Still, I think there is a good chance he will be traded, not kept. Using that unexpected shoulder operation is key here. With that, I can now see him going to a bottom feeding team, as the QB and the 49ers getting a draft pick compensation. The 49ers excuse to trade him to a bottom feeder team (vs a playoff ready team) is that unexpected shoulder injury operation. I think both the 49ers and Jimmy can come to an understanding that despite the 49ers best efforts to get him into a playoff ready team, through no fault of either party, that shoulder operation screwed everything up. The 49ers will now have to protect the team - and get that cap space freed up. Jimmy will go to a bottom feeder team, and have the option to get a new team and a new contract after a year. He will still get his 27 million, so hopefully there should be no hard feelings. We shall see.

you dont say ?

I'm kind of curious what the 4th option is. If those 3 are the most viable, what's the least viable?
  • thl408
Originally posted by JaggedJ:

you dont say ?

I'm kind of curious what the 4th option is. If those 3 are the most viable, what's the least viable?

Sign him to an extension.
Originally posted by thl408:

you dont say ?

While that is very scary (and a curse on you sir for even daring to bring it up), I would put that under the "keep him" category.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KiwiM:

What bottom feeding team is going to want to spend $27 mil on Jimmy for a 1 year rental? I don't buy it.

I don't pay much attention to other teams outside the 49ers, but I'm hoping that option is there and a bottom feeding team meets that criteria. He's better than a rookie coming out of college and has run some complex offenses and would be ready to go vs a rookie. That team should have enough cap space as a bottom feeder - so his salary shouldn't matter much, and they get a one year try out and see if Jimmy is a viable candidate as a bridge QB until the draft market has a better crop of rookie QB's in the following draft.

There are still lots of options with regards to Jimmy. I think cutting him to free up that 27 million in cap space would be the last option taken if there's no other viable options on the table.
  • thl408

you dont say ?

While that is very scary (and a curse on you sir for even daring to bring it up), I would put that under the "keep him" category.

Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Yup turns out having a busted throwing arm is viewed somehow as a red flag of sorts.

Oh well run it back. Guess we'll have to keep going to NFC Champs and Super Bowls

At this point I feel like you have to be trolling or begging for people to react to you.

You can feel however you want. Just pointing out the sharp contrast between the panic in here sometimes vs the reality on the ground. JG sucks is the vibe here but if you tell me that we will be in the final four next year with a shot at #6 I'll take it. This is where we have been if JG is healthy.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
I think it's clear what's happening.

1. Shanalynch don't want to Part ways for Jimmy for less than a 2nd. They figure they will get a 3rd comp next year anyway.
2. Better to have Jimmy as insurance or maybe even start if trey still isn't ready.
3. They have the cap space to keep Jimmy at this point. This year is going to be a throw away year.

Your definition of clear is not quite in line with mine lol
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

you dont say ?

Well, Bellicheat did the same thing with Jimmy. He kept Jimmy till the last possible day before the trade deadline. Now I doubt ShanaLynch will do that. I think they will be able to trade him once his shoulder is better, but it has happened before so it could happen.
Originally posted by illinois9er:

1. Shanalynch don't want to Part ways for Jimmy for less than a 2nd. They figure they will get a 3rd comp next year anyway.
2. Better to have Jimmy as insurance or maybe even start if trey still isn't ready.
3. They have the cap space to keep Jimmy at this point. This year is going to be a throw away year.

I agreed with him up until the throw away year part. Don't agree with that. We are on the cusp of #6.

• DrEll
  • Veteran

you dont say ?

dont say that
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Yup turns out having a busted throwing arm is viewed somehow as a red flag of sorts.

Oh well run it back. Guess we'll have to keep going to NFC Champs and Super Bowls

At this point I feel like you have to be trolling or begging for people to react to you.

It's trolling at this point

you dont say ?

dont say that

Aslong as he wasn't saying it into a mirror and doesn't say it twice more we're safe, it just remains a scary urban legend
I wonder if Jimmy regrets the move to have surgery late. I get it was him attempting to control his destiny and maybe force a release, but now it seems the game of musical chairs ends up with him choosing between two stools (Texans/panthers). Maybe having the surgery early would've prompted more interest between better options like Steelers/colts.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by illinois9er:

I agreed with him up until the throw away year part. Don't agree with that. We are on the cusp of #6.

Jimmy backing up Trey until the trade 2022 deadline might happen, although I doubt ShanaLynch would go that direction. The fact that they gave Sudfeld guaranteed money to stay, makes it seem like Jimmy might win the QB competition for 2022 - with Trey backing him up and Sudfeild as the practice squadder just like last year. In that scenario, Trey takes over after Jimmy is traded on the last day of the trade deadline. Again, I don't think that's going to happen. I am confident ShanaLynch will find a home for Jimmy once his shoulder is healed and he can pass his physicals. I just don't think getting him to a playoff ready team is in the cards now.
Share 49ersWebzone