Save 30% at the 49ers official online store →

There are 154 users in the forums

What will Jimmy's trade value be in the offseason?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What will Jimmy's trade value be in the offseason?

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Yup turns out having a busted throwing arm is viewed somehow as a red flag of sorts.

Oh well run it back. Guess we'll have to keep going to NFC Champs and Super Bowls

At this point I feel like you have to be trolling or begging for people to react to you.

It's trolling at this point

Lol get real. If you don't want to interact don't. Was Adam Schefter trolling when he outlined a 49ers keep JG scenario? Or does he have no dog in the JG debate and just called it as it is.
  • KiwiM
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinersFan52:
I wonder if Jimmy regrets the move to have surgery late. I get it was him attempting to control his destiny and maybe force a release, but now it seems the game of musical chairs ends up with him choosing between two stools (Texans/panthers). Maybe having the surgery early would've prompted more interest between better options like Steelers/colts.

Agreed. It was a risk that didn't pay off.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I wonder if Jimmy regrets the move to have surgery late. I get it was him attempting to control his destiny and maybe force a release, but now it seems the game of musical chairs ends up with him choosing between two stools (Texans/panthers). Maybe having the surgery early would've prompted more interest between better options like Steelers/colts.

I read some articles (sorry no link) which said that Jimmy waited as long as he could to put off the surgery hoping it would heal on his own, but the fact that he was still in pain, triggered it. I can see why he would put the surgery off, because any time you cut, there is a chance the surgery can go wrong and make things worse. In other words, I don't think he intentionally screwed up his market value and ShanaLynch's offseason plans. It was just unexpected on both parties, and now they have to both deal with the situation.
Originally posted by illinois9er:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
I think it's clear what's happening.

1. Shanalynch don't want to Part ways for Jimmy for less than a 2nd. They figure they will get a 3rd comp next year anyway.
2. Better to have Jimmy as insurance or maybe even start if trey still isn't ready.
3. They have the cap space to keep Jimmy at this point. This year is going to be a throw away year.

Your definition of clear is not quite in line with mine lol
I was thinking JG would get us a 3rd round comp next year but I've changed my mind. If we don't start him all year and he goes into free agency and gets paid around $8m/year as a backup or competing for a starting role at best, I'd imagine his comp would be a 4th at best and likely 5th/6th variety instead of a 3rd rounder.
Originally posted by Giedi:

I read some articles (sorry no link) which said that Jimmy waited as long as he could to put off the surgery hoping it would heal on his own, but the fact that he was still in pain, triggered it. I can see why he would put the surgery off, because any time you cut, there is a chance the surgery can go wrong and make things worse. In other words, I don't think he intentionally screwed up his market value and ShanaLynch's offseason plans. It was just unexpected on both parties, and now they have to both deal with the situation.

Yeah I agree. Not every move has some hidden shady conspiracy theory behind it. No JG didn't play games with his own body / surgery to game the system and mess with Niner Talk.
I dont think its out of realm of possibilities that Jimmy backs up Trey. He has handled everything so far like a soldier, I don't see how him or the team would react negatively to that scenario.
Jimmy backing up Trey until the trade 2022 deadline might happen, although I doubt ShanaLynch would go that direction. The fact that they gave Sudfeld guaranteed money to stay, makes it seem like Jimmy might win the QB competition for 2022 - with Trey backing him up and Sudfeild as the practice squadder just like last year. In that scenario, Trey takes over after Jimmy is traded on the last day of the trade deadline. Again, I don't think that's going to happen. I am confident ShanaLynch will find a home for Jimmy once his shoulder is healed and he can pass his physicals. I just don't think getting him to a playoff ready team is in the cards now.

I think it is more JimmyG backs up Trey until the deadline. With an uncomfortable QB room especially if 49ers start 3-5. But I doubt he sees the field in the first half of the season unless Trey is injured.

Don't even care how he feels. He's only a 49er by default right now. I had hoped to get a pick or 2 for him, but never expected it.
[ Edited by Butter on Mar 21, 2022 at 3:02 PM ]
Originally posted by ltrain:
Originally posted by illinois9er:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
I think it's clear what's happening.

1. Shanalynch don't want to Part ways for Jimmy for less than a 2nd. They figure they will get a 3rd comp next year anyway.
2. Better to have Jimmy as insurance or maybe even start if trey still isn't ready.
3. They have the cap space to keep Jimmy at this point. This year is going to be a throw away year.

Your definition of clear is not quite in line with mine lol
I was thinking JG would get us a 3rd round comp next year but I've changed my mind. If we don't start him all year and he goes into free agency and gets paid around $8m/year as a backup or competing for a starting role at best, I'd imagine his comp would be a 4th at best and likely 5th/6th variety instead of a 3rd rounder.

A lot could change tho. Imagine in preseason god forbid Lance has a season ending injury. Or imagine Mac Jones has this injury, or Carr, or Zach Wilson. JG would have immense value in any of these scenarios, especially if he is back to 100% health.

Originally posted by Butter:

I really like this. Please have Mayfield at QB SEA!
Originally posted by hummbabybear:
Jimmy backing up Trey until the trade 2022 deadline might happen, although I doubt ShanaLynch would go that direction. The fact that they gave Sudfeld guaranteed money to stay, makes it seem like Jimmy might win the QB competition for 2022 - with Trey backing him up and Sudfeild as the practice squadder just like last year. In that scenario, Trey takes over after Jimmy is traded on the last day of the trade deadline. Again, I don't think that's going to happen. I am confident ShanaLynch will find a home for Jimmy once his shoulder is healed and he can pass his physicals. I just don't think getting him to a playoff ready team is in the cards now.

I think it is more JimmyG backs up Trey until the deadline. With an uncomfortable QB room especially if 49ers start 3-5. But I doubt he sees the field in the first half of the season unless Trey is injured.

There is no chance he is on the roster at the start of the season unless Trey suffers some freak accident before then.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Butter:

Jimmy is going to be the last one standing.

Maiocco confirmed that as well with a surgeon.
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
I dont think its out of realm of possibilities that Jimmy backs up Trey. He has handled everything so far like a soldier, I don't see how him or the team would react negatively to that scenario.
If one guy can do it, its Jimmy. Bigger question is whether Trey is good with it, which he probably will say yes at this point in his career. I hate to see it, but I could see it happening. If Jimmy has learned anything over the last couple weeks, it is that he isn't valued as an NFL starter and if he went into free agency he'd get paid as such to at best compete for a starting gig somewhere much worse than here.
Share 49ersWebzone