Save 30% at the 49ers official online store →

There are 208 users in the forums

What will Jimmy's trade value be in the offseason?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What will Jimmy's trade value be in the offseason?

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ltrain:
Originally posted by illinois9er:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
I think it's clear what's happening.

1. Shanalynch don't want to Part ways for Jimmy for less than a 2nd. They figure they will get a 3rd comp next year anyway.
2. Better to have Jimmy as insurance or maybe even start if trey still isn't ready.
3. They have the cap space to keep Jimmy at this point. This year is going to be a throw away year.

Your definition of clear is not quite in line with mine lol
I was thinking JG would get us a 3rd round comp next year but I've changed my mind. If we don't start him all year and he goes into free agency and gets paid around $8m/year as a backup or competing for a starting role at best, I'd imagine his comp would be a 4th at best and likely 5th/6th variety instead of a 3rd rounder.

I don't think the 49ers will get any compensation. NY85's post a couple of pages ago basically (from my faulty recollection) stated that basically keeping Jimmy will not result in any compensation, and he listed some facts that I can't remember, but it was worth a read. (defer to NY85 on any details I missed) - but basically Jimmy has to be signed to a big hefty contract and nobody is going to give him that considering his QB abilities. There were some other rules to meet, but basically I agree with NY85 - it was long odds to get a 3rd round compensatory pick for him if they keep him.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

1. Shanalynch don't want to Part ways for Jimmy for less than a 2nd. They figure they will get a 3rd comp next year anyway.
2. Better to have Jimmy as insurance or maybe even start if trey still isn't ready.
3. They have the cap space to keep Jimmy at this point. This year is going to be a throw away year.

I was thinking JG would get us a 3rd round comp next year but I've changed my mind. If we don't start him all year and he goes into free agency and gets paid around $8m/year as a backup or competing for a starting role at best, I'd imagine his comp would be a 4th at best and likely 5th/6th variety instead of a 3rd rounder.

A lot could change tho. Imagine in preseason god forbid Lance has a season ending injury. Or imagine Mac Jones has this injury, or Carr, or Zach Wilson. JG would have immense value in any of these scenarios, especially if he is back to 100% health.

If the Panthers don't blow the Niners away with a trade deal, I say give him a 2 year contract extension, lower his cap hit, and wait. Worst case scenario, give his shoulder a chance to fully heal.

It could be a draft day trade, or, wait till training camp.

Someone is going to get desperate.
[ Edited by Butter on Mar 21, 2022 at 3:06 PM ]
So for those catching up to the last 59 pages of this thread:

This morning there was a reported offer of 2 second round picks on the table for Jimmy G.

Now 7 hours later he's not even worth a 6th rounder and we're probably going to just cut him.
Originally posted by NinersFan52:
I wonder if Jimmy regrets the move to have surgery late. I get it was him attempting to control his destiny and maybe force a release, but now it seems the game of musical chairs ends up with him choosing between two stools (Texans/panthers). Maybe having the surgery early would've prompted more interest between better options like Steelers/colts.

Originally posted by Butter:

Great news for us. A little hard to see a trade with Seattle for us. Mayfield filling that opening means Carolina still in need.
  • KiwiM
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mitpdub:

This morning there was a reported offer of 2 second round picks on the table for Jimmy G.

Now 7 hours later he's not even worth a 6th rounder and we're probably going to just cut him.

A report from Florio.......
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:
Don't be surprised when people here believe him.

Jimmy to the Alouettes sounds a lot more plausible and believable than a team offering a second rounder, let alone two, for him.

This feels like a recent NFCGC or Superbowl.

Yup. It's like the gameday thread wild overreactions and woe is us gloom and doom. People saying "ballgame we lost" during our wins cuz they don't keep the faith, stuff like that. Trying to keep a level head.

Only 8 more dominoes to fall until a top 8-14 QB in the league has a new team!!!!

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
I wonder if Jimmy regrets the move to have surgery late. I get it was him attempting to control his destiny and maybe force a release, but now it seems the game of musical chairs ends up with him choosing between two stools (Texans/panthers). Maybe having the surgery early would've prompted more interest between better options like Steelers/colts.

I read some articles (sorry no link) which said that Jimmy waited as long as he could to put off the surgery hoping it would heal on his own, but the fact that he was still in pain, triggered it. I can see why he would put the surgery off, because any time you cut, there is a chance the surgery can go wrong and make things worse. In other words, I don't think he intentionally screwed up his market value and ShanaLynch's offseason plans. It was just unexpected on both parties, and now they have to both deal with the situation.

Yeah I agree. Not every move has some hidden shady conspiracy theory behind it. No JG didn't play games with his own body / surgery to game the system and mess with Niner Talk.

Agree. The injured Capsule is underneath the armpit, when I did some injury research. There are a lot of nerves there and a lot of delicate tissue that - if injured - could end his career (or something like that). I defer to PasoDoc and the other doctors on the boards for the real info on this stuff.
Originally posted by KiwiM:

A report from Florio.......

Who I thought was credible.

I read some articles (sorry no link) which said that Jimmy waited as long as he could to put off the surgery hoping it would heal on his own, but the fact that he was still in pain, triggered it. I can see why he would put the surgery off, because any time you cut, there is a chance the surgery can go wrong and make things worse. In other words, I don't think he intentionally screwed up his market value and ShanaLynch's offseason plans. It was just unexpected on both parties, and now they have to both deal with the situation.

Yeah I agree. Not every move has some hidden shady conspiracy theory behind it. No JG didn't play games with his own body / surgery to game the system and mess with Niner Talk.

Agree. The injured Capsule is underneath the armpit, when I did some injury research. There are a lot of nerves there and a lot of delicate tissue that - if injured - could end his career (or something like that). I defer to PasoDoc and the other doctors on the boards for the real info on this stuff.

He may be made of glass but darn if he isn't a gamer. No doubt he toughed it out all postseason long. Hoping he is back to 100 soon as that would restore trade value imo.
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Mar 21, 2022 at 3:10 PM ]
Yup turns out having a busted throwing arm is viewed somehow as a red flag of sorts.

Oh well run it back. Guess we'll have to keep losing NFC Champs and Super Bowls

fixed.

A lot could change tho. Imagine in preseason god forbid Lance has a season ending injury. Or imagine Mac Jones has this injury, or Carr, or Zach Wilson. JG would have immense value in any of these scenarios, especially if he is back to 100% health.

If the Panthers don't blow the Niners away with a trade deal, I say give him a 2 year contract extension, lower his cap hit, and wait. Worst case scenario, give his shoulder a chance to fully heal.

It could be a draft day trade, or, wait till training camp.

Someone is going to get desperate.

I wondered if we could do this as and the consensus was that Yee his agent won't go for it and say pay the $27 M owed under contract or cut him. He will collect his $7.5M and be free to sign anywhere on his terms.

Lynch went hardball with Bowman, told him to pack his bags and cut him in 1 day. He could do it.
Share 49ersWebzone