Save 30% at the 49ers official online store →

There are 162 users in the forums

What will Jimmy's trade value be in the offseason?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What will Jimmy's trade value be in the offseason?

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hummbabybear:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Jimmy backing up Trey until the trade 2022 deadline might happen, although I doubt ShanaLynch would go that direction. The fact that they gave Sudfeld guaranteed money to stay, makes it seem like Jimmy might win the QB competition for 2022 - with Trey backing him up and Sudfeild as the practice squadder just like last year. In that scenario, Trey takes over after Jimmy is traded on the last day of the trade deadline. Again, I don't think that's going to happen. I am confident ShanaLynch will find a home for Jimmy once his shoulder is healed and he can pass his physicals. I just don't think getting him to a playoff ready team is in the cards now.

I think it is more JimmyG backs up Trey until the deadline. With an uncomfortable QB room especially if 49ers start 3-5. But I doubt he sees the field in the first half of the season unless Trey is injured.

That's a possibility, but I'm not banking on it. I think Jimmy will be happy getting his 27 million from *any* team at this point. I know ShanaLynch and the 49ers agreed to get him to a good playoff ready team, but I think that agreement should be thrown out because of the operation. At least, that would be my pitch to Jimmy if I was Kyle. Jimmy can go to a new team after a year if he doesn't like the bottom feeder team. Or if he does, he can and his new team can re-negotiate a new and longer contract to keep him.

A couple of reasons I think 49ers can trade him. He's a playoff level QB. His only fault is his health, otherwise he can be a starter level QB in the NFL for any team. There are (hopefully) more than one or two bottom feeding teams that need a good playoff level QB. Once he is healthy and he can pass his physicals, that will make it much easier to value him as a QB in a trade. Finally bottom feeding teams should have the cap space to absorb Jimmy's 27 million salary.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by NinersFan52:
I wonder if Jimmy regrets the move to have surgery late. I get it was him attempting to control his destiny and maybe force a release, but now it seems the game of musical chairs ends up with him choosing between two stools (Texans/panthers). Maybe having the surgery early would've prompted more interest between better options like Steelers/colts.

I read some articles (sorry no link) which said that Jimmy waited as long as he could to put off the surgery hoping it would heal on his own, but the fact that he was still in pain, triggered it. I can see why he would put the surgery off, because any time you cut, there is a chance the surgery can go wrong and make things worse. In other words, I don't think he intentionally screwed up his market value and ShanaLynch's offseason plans. It was just unexpected on both parties, and now they have to both deal with the situation.

Yeah I agree. Not every move has some hidden shady conspiracy theory behind it. No JG didn't play games with his own body / surgery to game the system and mess with Niner Talk.

Agree. The injured Capsule is underneath the armpit, when I did some injury research. There are a lot of nerves there and a lot of delicate tissue that - if injured - could end his career (or something like that). I defer to PasoDoc and the other doctors on the boards for the real info on this stuff.

He may be made of glass but darn if he isn't a gamer. No doubt he toughed it out all postseason long. Hoping he is back to 100 soon as that would restore trade value imo.

I think it will restore his trade value. He's a good QB. He doesn't have Trey's mobility and howitzer, but he has elite character and leadership. That always is valuable to a team that is trying to instill a winning culture on a team that's had a lot of historical failures. He might even be a valuable mentor to a young top QB rookie from this years draft. We shall see.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NotAFinga42:
Originally posted by hummbabybear:
Jimmy backing up Trey until the trade 2022 deadline might happen, although I doubt ShanaLynch would go that direction. The fact that they gave Sudfeld guaranteed money to stay, makes it seem like Jimmy might win the QB competition for 2022 - with Trey backing him up and Sudfeild as the practice squadder just like last year. In that scenario, Trey takes over after Jimmy is traded on the last day of the trade deadline. Again, I don't think that's going to happen. I am confident ShanaLynch will find a home for Jimmy once his shoulder is healed and he can pass his physicals. I just don't think getting him to a playoff ready team is in the cards now.

I think it is more JimmyG backs up Trey until the deadline. With an uncomfortable QB room especially if 49ers start 3-5. But I doubt he sees the field in the first half of the season unless Trey is injured.

There is no chance he is on the roster at the start of the season unless Trey suffers some freak accident before then.

Agree. I think he will be traded around the date of the draft. If not, then when he's healthy and can start passing a teams physicals.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NinersFan52:
I wonder if Jimmy regrets the move to have surgery late. I get it was him attempting to control his destiny and maybe force a release, but now it seems the game of musical chairs ends up with him choosing between two stools (Texans/panthers). Maybe having the surgery early would've prompted more interest between better options like Steelers/colts.

I read some articles (sorry no link) which said that Jimmy waited as long as he could to put off the surgery hoping it would heal on his own, but the fact that he was still in pain, triggered it. I can see why he would put the surgery off, because any time you cut, there is a chance the surgery can go wrong and make things worse. In other words, I don't think he intentionally screwed up his market value and ShanaLynch's offseason plans. It was just unexpected on both parties, and now they have to both deal with the situation.

Maiocco confirmed that as well with a surgeon.

Thank you! I'm hoping he gets traded and we can get a decent player (preferably a young OLineman diamond in the rough) as well as a conditional draft pick.
Agree. I think he will be traded around the date of the draft. If not, then when he's healthy and can start passing a teams physicals.

I just don't know who is left that would want him. Carolina? That's it. All other vacancies are gone, lol.

It's always possible a starting QB goes down somewhere, I guess.
[ Edited by Leathaface on Mar 21, 2022 at 3:23 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Leathaface:

I just don't know who is left that would want him. Carolina? That's it. All other vacancies are gone, lol.

If both sides are willing to let him go to a bottom feeder team, I think it can be done. There are only so many Aaron Rogers, Midget Wilsons, and Deshaun Watsons to go around. There most likely will be a team that needs the services of a QB that has been to the super bowl.

Seattle looking for a QB. Dieter speculates we may trade with Seattle. This whole episode has brought to light we have utter crap journalists covering this team just utter crap. I haven't seen people this hostile to our own franchise outside of Niner Talk.
If both sides are willing to let him go to a bottom feeder team, I think it can be done. There are only so many Aaron Rogers, Midget Wilsons, and Deshaun Watsons to go around. There most likely will be a team that needs the services of a QB that has been to the super bowl.
Nick Foles is a backup for Chicago, and his playoff resume is actually much more impressive. Jimmy can be a great backup for someone. Not us.
Matt Ryan to the Colts....

I said it about 100 posts ago in this thread and I will say it again...

"Am I the only one here thinking that Jimmy aint going nowhere"

Kyle an John have COMPLETELY overvalued Jimmy G and Jimmy G absolutely SCREWED over the Niners by getting surgery so late. At this point I say open the QB competition up and if Trey beats out Jimmy, so be it. He can either back up Trey or get cut.
What's the prediction on which page of the thread will result in the JG trade? I'm guessing it will happen soon page 899 maybe..

Say what twice more?
Originally posted by JaggedJ:
Aslong as he wasn't saying it into a mirror and doesn't say it twice more we're safe, it just remains a scary urban legend
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I was just taking a gander at the teams that have 7 or less wins in 2021. Theres a ton of them. Some of them on the AFC side has traded/got their franchise QB, but there are still some on the NFC side that haven't. All it takes is one team to like Jimmy for a trade to happen.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Butter:

Only 8 more dominoes to fall until a top 8-14 QB in the league has a new team!!!!

"At this point I feel like you have to be trolling or begging for people to react to you."

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Seattle looking for a QB. Dieter speculates we may trade with Seattle. This whole episode has brought to light we have utter crap journalists covering this team just utter crap. I haven't seen people this hostile to our own franchise outside of Niner Talk.

Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Nick Foles is a backup for Chicago, and his playoff resume is actually much more impressive. Jimmy can be a great backup for someone. Not us.

Those definitely are two teams that can be approached regarding Jimmy's services. I'm confident he'll be moved before training camp, he's too good a QB not to. All it takes is one team. We shall see.
Lol get real. If you don't want to interact don't. Was Adam Schefter trolling when he outlined a 49ers keep JG scenario? Or does he have no dog in the JG debate and just called it as it is.

Was Schefter trolling when he said Mac Jones was going to SF? Jimmy is trash and the league has spoken. Get him off the roster and move on
Share 49ersWebzone